X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Pitched Frequency sound at 30mph?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 11:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default High Pitched Frequency sound at 30mph?

This just started happening. But today its not there. Been going on for about 2 weeks. From 29-31mph there is a loud high frequency pitched whistling/whine sound coming. I have an appointment at the dealer tonight but I'm not sure if they will hear it since I'm not hearing it now. It is there in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear so it is not effected by engine rpm.

Any idea what it could be?

Old 01-07-2008, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: High Pitched Frequency sound at 30mph?

Welcome any car information for us like year mileage? Does it only do it when it's cold out? Is it really noticeable or only to a person who is **** about noises? I hear things that nobody else hears so that is why I'm asking...

Old 01-07-2008, 11:17 AM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Does it ever make the sound while in park or neutral?

Old 01-07-2008, 01:27 PM

It is a 2003 X-Type 2.5 w/ 52,000 miles. Auto tranny.

Sound does not come in park or neutral. Sometimes it comes when driving after I just started it and continues. Other times I drive around for about 5 min till the sound comes. But it usually shows up pretty often. It is a real annoying high frequency sound. Kind've like when ur tv is on but set to a different input so the screen is black. You can kind of here a frequency so u can tell its on even though it may look off.

I hope it doesn't have to do with my transmission. I used to use the J-Gate a lot and I redline a decent amount since its a slow car.

My dad took it to work the other day when we swapped cars and both him and my mom heard the sound. So it definitely isn't just me hearing something small.

Old 01-07-2008, 01:47 PM
ud

Honestly, just guessing, but it could be any one of a number of things..Tranny, Transfer case, Differential..etc..Please let us know once the Dealer gets it figures out.

Hope it's nothing serious.

Old 01-07-2008, 02:13 PM

I'm part of a BMW forum so I posted on their and people think it might be the Rear Diff. But I've had the car since new and its never made a sound. Just these last 2 weeks its been doing it. Then yesterday temperatures hit record 64*F (crazy chicago weather...was 20* 2 days before...), and when I dropped my sister back at her dorm I didn't hear the sound.

I just hope the dealer heres it. If they say that they couldn't reproduce the sound, then I'm gonna be having to drop my car off everytime I hear it and hope they here it too.

Old 01-07-2008, 02:35 PM
ud

If it is the rear Diff and that's quite possible...This is another example of why I think it's stupid to have so-called permanent lubes..
On my Land Rover it was the same thing on it's rear Differential (it had the same kind of drivetrain AWDas the Jag X, right down to the JATCO tranny)..Anways, I took the diff cover off and drained the black goop out and refilled it with some Castrol SyntheticGear lube and the noise went away.

Old 01-07-2008, 02:52 PM

I couldn't figure out where the sound was coming from. It just sounds like its just coming from everywhere. Couldn't locate a source while driving.

Old 01-07-2008, 02:57 PM
ud

If it's in the Drivetrain somewhere, it would be a beotch to pin down...Cuz the sound would radiate all over the place.

Old 01-07-2008, 03:26 PM

Yea the sound is radiating from everywhere basically. Well if it is a drivetrain problem, then that isn't good... Let's see if the dealer can figure it out. What part of the drivetrain do u think might be effected?

Old 01-07-2008, 04:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem on my 02' X-Type. It's almost a loud whistling noise. It's really frustrating at times. At took it to a body and shop and they did some work on my brakes but the sound is still there.

Old 01-07-2008, 05:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: aloiseau10

I have the same problem on my 02' X-Type. It's almost a loud whistling noise. It's really frustrating at times. At took it to a body and shop and they did some work on my brakes but the sound is still there.
Do you hear the sound when you let off the gas also? Is it a whistling sound or a whirring sound? If it's the latter, then it's definately the transfer case and will need replacing in the near future.

I had a similar noise, and when my fiance was driving it, it started to shake violently, then there was a loud clunk. Transfer case was the culprit.

Old 01-07-2008, 06:38 PM

Same with my car but when I go about 25-40mph it starts making likea train on mine. I took it to a dealer but he said it might be a wheel bearing. Also when I go on highway speed 65+ it starts making this the same sound but I think a little louder. The tech says that is normal for all jag x-types.

Old 01-07-2008, 06:51 PM
ud

I hate that when the dealer is at a loss for fixing the problem, the canned answer is; "They all make that noise, or, it's Normal"...

Old 01-07-2008, 07:29 PM
Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

Sounds are easy to trace if you know how. Sounds to me like the center bearing on the driveshaft. But without being there hard to say. Diff noise would change when you turn left to right. Trans also would change with rpm. Drive shaft noise will remain pretty constant.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:34 PM

ORIGINAL: jasonzimbran

Same with my car but when I go about 25-40mph it starts making likea train on mine. I took it to a dealer but he said it might be a wheel bearing. Also when I go on highway speed 65+ it starts making this the same sound but I think a little louder. The tech says that is normal for all jag x-types.
If I If this is the same noise I had, then you'll be buying a transfer case sooner or later. I thought it was my release bearing until I got the clutch changed, and the noise was still there.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The sound mostly comes up when I'm just coasting and sometimes when I'm decellerating. I don't know whether to call it a "whistling" or "whirling" sound, but my car doesn't shake violently. I mostly get the sound when it's cold out too, but I have gotten it on some warm days.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:39 PM

ORIGINAL: FactoryJaguarTech

Sounds are easy to trace if you know how. Sounds to me like the center bearing on the driveshaft. But without being there hard to say. Diff noise would change when you turn left to right. Trans also would change with rpm. Drive shaft noise will remain pretty constant.
Right before my front differential took a **** on me, it made a very faint click when I was accelerating from 1st gear. It made a howling noise when I was driving at a steady speed. I should imitate the sound and host it. It was a "ooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" nosie. Kinda high pitched noise.

Then, on Christmas Eve, the t/case went CLUNK! When turning left/right, the car never showed any symptoms that the t/case was on its way out. But under acceleration, it'd howl like a dog in heat.

Got the transfer case changed, and the noise went away. So if you have that noise, I'd say you'll need a transfer case.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:48 PM

Same here. Except I hear it while accelerating slowly or decelerating/coasting where the speed comes to 30mph. The transfer case sounds like an expensive part to replace... Is it? Also the sound does not change when turning. If I set cruise control at 30mph, I feel like blowing up my car or shooting myself in my head before going even 1 mile because this frequency is just sooooo annoying. Feels like my ear drum is gonna explode. Hard to describe. It has gotten louder recently. It was tolerable when it first started and I just thought it might have something to do w/ 20 degree weather and 50k mile car. But it was there when it was 30's outside and 40's. Stopped now in the 50's.

I cancelled the appointment at the dealer tonight. If it comes back when the cold weather gets here again in a few days, then I will take it back in.

The following users liked this post:
Bowyota (09-05-2013)

Quick Reply: High Pitched Frequency sound at 30mph?