X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Squeal at cold air temps?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 10:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Squeal at cold air temps?

I am having a very high pitched squeal noise that goes thru the whole car when the air temps outside are below freezing. The colder it is the more often it does it. It only makes the noise while the car is moving just under 30 MPH. I never thought it was a big concern since it only did it when it was super cold. Now it is starting to get louder and once in a while make the sound around 50 mph.

Could this be a transmission or transfer case problem? I am thinking maybe low oil? I have been doing some research on this forum on transmission fluid changes but haven't seen a how-to just which oil to use.

I would like to find out what this is before any more damage can occur or happen. Fixing these babies is not cheap and the closest dealer is an hour and 20 mins away.

I guess I should say it is a 2002 X-type 3.0L with 98xxx miles on it.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:11 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Usually is just the driving belt. As soon as they became older and they are more dry (not so flexible) they start to make a squeaking noise. This is happening also when they are a litle bit loose. Why you don't open the hood when the noise is on to establish at least the location of it?

Old 02-10-2009, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Tracus
Usually is just the driving belt. As soon as they became older and they are more dry (not so flexible) they start to make a squeaking noise. This is happening also when they are a litle bit loose. Why you don't open the hood when the noise is on to establish at least the location of it?
I can't run 30 mph hahahahaha. It only makes the noise when the car is moving.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:24 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm pretty sure is the belt. As soon as the engine gets warmer no noise, right?
Usually they make a noise when you start the engine though.
Still, you need to check that. I think just an opinion from any mecanic will do. Just for your peace of mind.

Last edited by Tracus; 02-10-2009 at 11:54 AM.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:33 PM
Received 59 Likes on 12 Posts

wHEN YOU SAY JUST UNDER 30MPH DO YOU MEAN LIKE WHEN YOU ARE COMING TO A STOP? sOUNDS LIKE PROPSHAFT NOISE. sIREN OR FINGER ON WINE GLASS NOISE.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

All three of you should listen to Real. PROP SHAFT center bearing!!! That's the most likely culprit. Red, call the dealer with your VIN and ask them to check the records to see if your prop shaft has ever been changed. bdahl, did a tech actually take it for a ride when cold? Have you had your Xs for a while? Have you had them in a cold climate before? If you have an '02 that has made it this far without a new (revised) prop shaft I suspect it's been in more moderate temperatures. My X didn't make a sound when she lived in Arizona but she screamed like crazy the first time she was faced with winter temperatures.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Real_Tech
wHEN YOU SAY JUST UNDER 30MPH DO YOU MEAN LIKE WHEN YOU ARE COMING TO A STOP? sOUNDS LIKE PROPSHAFT NOISE. sIREN OR FINGER ON WINE GLASS NOISE.
Yes that is kinda what the noise is like and by just under 30mph I mean above 25 to below 30 mph.

Originally Posted by mohrd
All three of you should listen to Real. PROP SHAFT center bearing!!! That's the most likely culprit. Red, call the dealer with your VIN and ask them to check the records to see if your prop shaft has ever been changed. bdahl, did a tech actually take it for a ride when cold? Have you had your Xs for a while? Have you had them in a cold climate before? If you have an '02 that has made it this far without a new (revised) prop shaft I suspect it's been in more moderate temperatures. My X didn't make a sound when she lived in Arizona but she screamed like crazy the first time she was faced with winter temperatures.
I am starting to think it might be this prop shaft noise. What this prop shaft center bearing any kind of recall or is TSB? Do i dare ask how much whit little baby will cost to fix? Yesterday when the temps were in the high 30's to low 40's it didn't make a sound.

I looked over the belt really good last night and then had the g/f start the car while I was listening and watching. No noise and the belt is in good shape and seem taunt.

Wow after doing some research on prop shaft on this forum it seems like it is a fairly common problem. Anybody replace one of these themselves? I didn't see any prices while I was searching thou.

Last edited by PERFORMANCE RED; 02-11-2009 at 07:45 AM. Reason: more info.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:55 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Red:
I haven't priced it myself, but the reports on the forum from others is that the part alone is near $1000. You cannot buy the bearing... it is part of the entire prop-shaft assembly.
The other thing that the forum seems to agree on is that htis is simply a nuissance. It is NOT an indiczation that there is imminent failure. The noise seems to not even be the bearing itself, but rather the rubber surround around the bearing which at a certain frequency starts to oscillate and make that 'whine-glass-howl' sound.
I'm in the Mountains, and it does it 'pert near every morning. I've been under tha car and greased it, which made no difference whatsoever. I then soaked the _ _ _ _ out of THE RUBBER SURROUNDING the bearing with WD40 and it changed the speed at which it occurs and the pitch of the noise.

My decision: live with it. It isn't yet worth the R&R to me.

YMMV.

Last edited by jag-ooo-r; 02-11-2009 at 03:37 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:08 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

for sure it sound slike the prop shaft. I have this issue too. i tried to grease it using a method found in the FAQ's but it didnt do much. I have also priced it from Jaguar in canada in woodbridge and the part alone is $1050 plus tax. What fails on this part is the centre bearing. It is sealed and cannot be replaced. You can cut it out and patch the shaaft back together but for what you pay and risk for not having it balanced you might as well buy another shaft.

It is not hard to change your self. If you can get under the car you unbolt like 8 or so screws from the end connecting to the diff, then a few bolts holding the centre of the shaft and bearing to the vehicle and then another 8 or so bolts connecting to the transfer case.

I have never done this but from what it looks liek this is all it would take.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:50 AM

I guess I am going to try to grease it first. That is a lot of money and a poor design if you need to replace the whole thing. I will try to WD40 it for a temp fix until I can get a needle for greasing. It seems like that could be a 50/50 fix as well. I hope to get rid of the sound because we are looking at trading it in on maybe an XF. For obvious reason's you don't want it squealing like crazy when you trade it in. Thanks for the help folks. I will give this a shot and if that don't help I maybe back.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:02 PM

I would also like to check the level or even change the transmission fluid. It seems to kick down a bit odd at highway speeds. Where are the plugs for this? Maybe i should start a new thread for this? I did some research on here and they say drain thru the cooler lines but where do you fill it back up?

It is insanely crazy to have a sealed for life system on any automobile.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:13 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Uh oh.. someone mentioned the W word.. and of course I have to chime in because I have a personal issue with WD 40 and the marketing of it (nothing against you jag-oo-r, just the product and company). Instead of me telling you all that it is wrong to use this product for anything other then 'W'ater 'D'isplacment (and possibly as a rust penetrator but there are better penetrators out there), I would recommend that anyone using this 'crap' errr I mean 'product' do some research on it before reaching for it again to lube up anything. Of course I grew up using it as my Pappy used it.. and his pappy used it so it must be good sort of logic. But I always found it tended to dry out after a few days and quite often made the problem worse. Reason being it is not a lubricant. I'll still shoot it under a distributor cap in damp weather if the car is not starting (as a band-aid) or trying it to loosen a rusty nut, that sort of thing but that's all. If you don't mind me saying Jag-ooo-r, you may want to get back under and re-grease that bearing depending on how liberal in your application you were with it.

And please add 1 more to the count of high-pitched sounds to the tally, mine does it below -10 and I have greased the bearing too. Not sure how much it helped but I'd say a bit at this point.

Cheers!

---------------------------
EDIT: biting my lip @ Performance Red..... nudge nudge

Last edited by Jagermeister; 02-11-2009 at 12:17 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:04 PM

RE WD40:
I am well aware of it's proper uses. I'm also aware of what it does well, in addition to it's proper uses.
I never suggested using WD40 as a lube. You can't lube rubber.
But when you spray WD40 on rubber, the rubber will soften slightly, and swell a little bit. I sprayed the rubber surrounding the bearing to try to get it to change enough that the sound went away. all it really did was change the sound.

And Red: The WD40 is NOT the same fix as the grease-needle fix. Don;t spray the bearing with WD, that was not the point. SOAK the RUBBER with it, and that 'might' have an effect for you. In my experience, it had as much or more effect than greasing the bearing itself, which is to say: little or no effect at all.
The sound is a harmonic resonance, not a metal/metal grind. The problem is not one of lubrication, but rather one of materials being allowed to oscillate.

Just my $.02

Oh, and for the record Jagermeister: I don;t disagree with you at all on the marketing / misunderstanding about WD40.

Old 02-11-2009, 03:13 PM

WD40 is a band-aid fix to see if it will stop making the noise to find out if that is where the noise is coming from. I know it won't fix anything.

PB Blaster is the best penetrator I have ever used. Sorry for off subject post.

Old 02-11-2009, 03:19 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

My bad.. I thought by what you had written, that when the grease didn't help (to lube) you turned to the WD40.. I read it as you used it to also try and lube. And of course I read it as you were trying it on the bearing.

After a re-read I can see now you were trying with the rubber.

Again, as I said no offense towards you as I wasn't ridiculing your choice at all.. just sharing some info - as you are aware of the misunderstanding for this product that exists. Had you actually sprayed the bearings my advice would be the same.

However, I would still caution (I am not saying don't use it) the use of it on rubber. It contains a solvent known to attack certain plastics and rubbers. User beware and user informed is always a good approach.

Also what's in one persons rubber may not be in another persons rubber as long as it meets the design spec... but that is going off topic...

Cheers!

Old 02-11-2009, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by PERFORMANCE RED
WD40 is a band-aid fix to see if it will stop making the noise to find out if that is where the noise is coming from. I know it won't fix anything.

PB Blaster is the best penetrator I have ever used. Sorry for off subject post.
No, Red. You've still got it wrong!
Please re-read the posts. I don't want ANYONE accusing me of telling you to put WD40 in your bearings! I would tell you NOT to do that.... EVERY TIME.
Like now for instance:
DO NOT PUT WD40 IN YOUR BEARINGS!!!

I used it ONLY to soften the rubber surround, in hopes that the harmonic qualities would change, which they did, but only enough to move the resonance from one frequency to another.

I gotta say, I'm gonna quit talking about WD. Every single time I've brougt it up here, people have jumped on the "We hate WD40" bandwagon.... and here's why I guess: Because of the misuses that perpetuate the sales of WD40 globally, it is assumed that when I discuss it, it in the context of lubing or penetrating rust. But that is a false assumtion, and a careful reading of what I'm saying will show that. But Wd is alot like WalMart and Microsoft: People love to hate it.

Red: Let us know how you fare.

Old 02-23-2009, 03:53 PM
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

I found this source for what looks to be reasonable cost for new drive shaft: http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0

Approx'ly $650 for part + $70 for shipping.

Has anyone ordered from this place and can share experience?

Old 02-23-2009, 04:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jag-ooo-r
Red:
I haven't priced it myself, but the reports on the forum from others is that the part alone is near $1000. You cannot buy the bearing... it is part of the entire prop-shaft assembly.
The other thing that the forum seems to agree on is that htis is simply a nuissance. It is NOT an indiczation that there is imminent failure. The noise seems to not even be the bearing itself, but rather the rubber surround around the bearing which at a certain frequency starts to oscillate and make that 'whine-glass-howl' sound.
I'm in the Mountains, and it does it 'pert near every morning. I've been under tha car and greased it, which made no difference whatsoever. I then soaked the _ _ _ _ out of THE RUBBER SURROUNDING the bearing with WD40 and it changed the speed at which it occurs and the pitch of the noise.

My decision: live with it. It isn't yet worth the R&R to me.

YMMV.
Well i have had this noise for about 4 months and it drove me nuts ..tried all the greasing etc with no effect mine whined at 29.5 mph - under that it was fine - over that it was fine but as i said it was worse at 29.5 mph if i let the car "coast" at that speed ie no load on the engine it was worse ,,traced it down to the propshaft and had the propshaft replaced ..result whine gone - cost £350.00 you cant just replace the bearing unless you have the shaft "cut" to get the bearing off which aint a good idea.

Quick Reply: High Squeal at cold air temps?