X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holy Cow! $21 EACH for Intake Manifold O-Rings?!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 08:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Holy Cow! $21 EACH for Intake Manifold O-Rings?!!

So, I've been perusing here a bit lately trying to diagnose my wife's '03 2.5 X-Type (110K ish Miles) that has an intermittent MIL and "Cruise not available" message.

I've replaced the PVC Valve hose several times over the years (using cheapo Heater hose - last about 18 months).

This great website showed me there is an updated (Ribbed) version. ($34.00 !! from dealer) I just recently replaced it, cleared the codes, and am intermittently getting a MIL.

So after some nice searching here, I found I probably need the IMT Gaskets, and after noticing that the Brake Pedal is rock hard in the morning (no boost) after further searching, decided to replace the Brake Booster Vacuum hose and Check Valve ($94 Dealer)

I called my local dealer today and he had all the parts in stock. Jumped out there, got the IMT O-Rings, the improved PCV Hose, and the Brake Booster / Check Valve. He mentioned that I certainly needed the Intake Valve Gaskets as well, as they do those all the time. he gave me (2)? sets of O-Ring (ish) gaskets that cost $21 EACH! WHAT? Whatever, I'm here, give them to me.

So, I replaced the Brake Booster / Check Valve hose (thanks to this website for the tip about pushing down on the little grommet!) with one of the same color. (Black and Grey - But no Shrink tubing on it?) The old one one "corroded" on the bottom)

I replaced the IMT Upper and Lower O-Rings with Green ones from the dealer. The old ones were Black O-Rings with Orange Grease? I broke the lower one getting it off, the new Green one stretched over the IMT easily, and all back in place.

Question: I have not opened the Intake Manifold Gaskets (12 in total 6 each of 2 different types). I think I'll let the wife drive around for a while and see if the problem is fixed. If not, I can certainly rip apart the intake manifold and replace the "O-Rings". Is there a better source though $$-Wise I can get these from? More than happy to return these and get a replacement set somewhere else.

Has anyone wrote up an Intake Manifold replacement video?

Thanks! LUV THIS WEBSITE! AND OUR JAG X-TYPE!!!

Doogie

Old 01-07-2013, 09:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go to Advance Auto and get them for a 2003 Lincoln LS. They are the same things. Saved a ton!!

2003 Lincoln LS upper set at Advance;
Buy Felpro Plenum Gasket Set MS 96496 at Advance Auto Parts
2003 Lincoln LS lower set at Advance;
Buy Felpro Intake Manifold Gasket Set MS 96485 at Advance Auto Parts

Old 01-08-2013, 10:05 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,842 Likes on 3,159 Posts

Go with the Flepro ones. They are essentially the same ones. Save the money and take the wife out for a nice dinner instead and earn yourself some brownie points.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:32 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just replaced plugs and 1 coil a few weeks ago since the CEL has been on for a few months and the misfiring was really bringing down available power as well as fuel economy. Purchased all parts at local Jag dealer and found everything very reasonable except I didn't realize that the $16 quote for the gaskets was for each until I arrived to pick up the parts.

Factory plugs $7 each, coil $60 and gaskets $16 x 6. CEL off and back up to proper power output - priceless.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:02 PM
Veteran member

bzavasnik, just to let you know, if you go to "Jaguar Parts" - Jaguar parts and accessories catalog, you can have the parts delivered right to your house from the dealership that you paid full price for. I order parts out of a Jaguar dealership in Cleveland when i need dealership only parts. You do everything online and you give them your VIN number and they make sure the parts are what you need. Saves you a few bucks and you don't have to worry about getting to the dealership when they are open. If you call them to place the order, then they will charge you the normal price. I don't get it, but that is how they do it. Thought you might like to know. Check out the website and see if that is the same dealership you bought your parts through.

Granted, most of what you bought (except for maybe the coil) could have been bought through a local auto parts store and saved yourself lots more money. But, if you are happy, that is what matters.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:53 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
Check out the website and see if that is the same dealership you bought your parts through.
That is the Solon LR/Jag dealer that I bought both our vehicles from, but this dealer is 3 min away from our house: Dealership | Montrose Westside Jaguar | Cleveland OH Jaguar Dealer near Akron Youngstown Ohio and I use them for parts regularly.

I'll plan ahead better next time and pre-order. This repair was a spur of the moment, hell I got nothing to do on a Friday before Christmas, hey let's rip apart the Jag, kind of thing.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:55 PM
Veteran member

bzavasnik, I hear you. I have all the parts, I am just trying to find the gumption to rip apart my kitty to do a strut/strut bearing/ball joint/tie rod end job on the front and new shocks for the rear and do some playing around with an adjustable upper control arm for the rear. Should be an interesting weekend once I start ripping into the kitty. Need to do it soon before I get into my long hours at work and don't have time to do it.