Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Houston Potholes taking their toll

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 01:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts
Default Houston Potholes taking their toll

my X type only has 55k miles but the pothole capital of the nation is starting to create problems for me. I can feel loose type noises up front developing.

What are the first components to go on a low mileage car like mine?

Old 11-21-2017, 03:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

I would hazard a wild guess as mine went. The front lower control arms, the ones with the fluid filled bushing towards the rear/firewall side. The Jaguar TSB on the "squeaking" fluid fail specifically mentions hot weather areas like Texas, Saudi Arabia, etc. As causing the bushing to fail. Mine not only squeaked, but rattled because of the bushings failing. It didn't mention Utah, but our 100+° summer (as compared to it's original home of New Jersey) killed them as well as the rear front lower arms. Bushings turned the crap. I also checked front and rear sway bar bushings, but as of this past weekend they are still fine. I replaced the links that hold the sway bar on both sides while I was at it. And I followed advice here to reverse the rear bolt holding the subframe so if this ever occurs again, I don't have to drop the subframe to change the parts.

Old 11-21-2017, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

The reason I checked it all this last weekend. I had to bondo the hole I had to cut into the body of the car to access the large subframe bolt that the "captive nut" within the body was freely spinning. Not allowing the bolt to come out to drop the subframe.

Here's a picture of the arm bolt and why you have to drop the subframe to get it out = not enough clearance. So if you reverse the installation (nut on top, bolt through the bottom) you never have to drop the subframe again.