X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you adjust the height of factory HID's?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 12:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do you adjust the height of factory HID's?

My little 02 X-Type 3.0 Sport has seen better days, but she's my girl and I love her. Hitting the 110k mile mark now, and aside from your basic maintenance she's been great. Granted, I shudder whenever I hit a pot-hole in N.E. now though. Once, it shut her down completely and had to have the dealer reboot (or something with the computer) just to get her to start again. Seems the safety system thought I was in an accident. Took out an alloy and new tire as well on the pass side.

So 3 days ago, I hit another pot-hole on I-84. Bubbled my tire something fierce, but the alloy was spared. This time on the drivers side. Once my frustration went down, I noticed that my pass headlight seemed to be pointing to high. The levelers still work, but something seemed off with the pass side. So last night I realized I light up street signs, and have been getting flashed by oncoming traffic. I did my little test, basically pulling up to a wall at night, staying about 10 feet away, and yep the pass side is pointing too high.

So my question is this: Is there a way to adjust the factory xenon light down, without damaging the auto-adjusters or lighting assembly? If so, does anyone have a picture of the adjuster so I know what to look for?

Thanks for any help, I appreciate it!

Old 03-03-2010, 07:03 PM

Never mind. I did some more digging and found the adjuster screws. Very easy to do.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:36 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

did it actually work, cause I would bet $50 nthe assemblies are broken inside

Old 03-12-2010, 08:27 AM

Good point. I thought all was good until I hit a minor bump in the road, then "blip" the light seemed to dip down and back up again. This morning I dug a little deeper. Here are the facts, and any help would be appreciated.
1) - The levelers are functioning fine, as well I start her up in the dark both sides dip and level back without any issues at all.
2) - Up until this morning, I have never taken the back covers off the assemblies and I've never replaced and bulb on her.
3) - I took the back cover off the pass side light this morning, and found that the HID assembly is loose. It seems that what ever would hold the actual HID system in place, has broken off the top.

I can place my fingers on the back of the HID and gently apply pressure on the back, and place it back into place. So now I have a HID assembly where the levelers seem to be functioning correctly, but actual HID housing seems to be separated from the rest of the headlight assembly. Any thoughts? And why do I have this sinking feeling that I'll have to drop the bumper to correct this?

Old 03-12-2010, 08:38 AM

Yes you have to drop the bumper to fix this....and the fix is to replace the headlight assembly
sorry i have tried to repair these and the plastic inside is just %$@*

Old 03-12-2010, 08:48 AM
Unhappy

Brutal: Thanks for the info. I was worried that I'd have to do that. I'm loading some pics as well.

Attached Thumbnails How do you adjust the height of factory HID's?-imag0055.jpg  
Old 03-12-2010, 08:54 AM

This is the 2nd of 2 pics. It's seems to just flop around, but the bottom half seems to still be attached.

Attached Thumbnails How do you adjust the height of factory HID's?-imag0056.jpg  
Old 03-12-2010, 11:27 AM

its broken on the plastic posts that hold the assembly. its not totally broken which is why it still does/tries to auto level. I used to have many many sets of HID and halogen assemblies and tossed em all after not being able to get a good repair. Now if I had a machine shop........

Old 03-13-2010, 01:01 PM

When I look for a replacement assembly, should I be worried about the washer system? I've found them for 335 on amazon, but it says "w/o washer". My car does have the headlamp washers. So, is the headlamp assembly seperate from the washer system? Or do I need to find ones with the washer?

Old 03-13-2010, 02:25 PM

with washers, and DO NOT buy used 1 without them being less than 2 years old. And before you bid tell them to pull the cover on the back behind the hibeam connector and wiggle to check if theyre broken. Get them insured and if theyre broken in transit, file a claim or make sure you can get a refund.