X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to swap a Jaguar 3.0 with a Lincoln LS 3.0 is inside!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 12:04 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up How to swap a Jaguar 3.0 with a Lincoln LS 3.0 is inside!!

Ok guys, obviously there are some of you that are aware of the ability to do this but need more to go on. Most of us on here are pushin the miles a little or some are just about to have or having engine failure. I for one do not wish to part ways with my X so with some research and help from fellow members, I was able to install a low milage Lincoln LS base engine in my Jag. The main reason for this write up is because of the HUGE price difference between the two engines.

Ok first off, most of you know of the awsome write ups by a few members on the rebuild and pulling out of the engine as shown in the FAQ section. Ill save a lot of writing and tell you to first follow the engine pulling thread and once you have the engine solo and on the cherry picker this is were i will start. The whole process is really quite straight forward.

This is where I will tell you that you Must use a 2003+ Lincoln LS engine due to the most similarities. I may be wrong but with my research, these years seemed more compatable.

Here is the link to the original thread and inspiration with pics to help...https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=34228

Ok, things to be swapped....

Valve cover: side with oil fill

Timing cover: Replace crank seal and gaskets while your at it.

Water Outlets/Inlets and Pump: This was a PITA. The one head has like a bowl in it that covers one of the bolts on the lower water neck, making it a patience tester. Also the Lincoln LS water neck on bottom must be broken to get out! Please cover every hole as to not drop crap inside!!

Camshaft that spins the water pump: this is really easy but DO NOT mess up the timing. Be sure to mark it in a few places before removing. I actually just pulled mine out of the Jag, marked the LS, compressed the chain tensioner and blocked it. Then impacted the bolt out of the end with the sprocket. Had a friend hold it while i took the cam out and replaced it. Really simple.

Fuel rails and lower intake: The fuel injectors on the LS are 24# ours are 20#, do not use unless you want to change the mass air. Either way its pointless. I say rail and intake as they are both connected. At this point change seals.

Oil Pan and Pick Up: Be sure to clean out both to free any metal shavings or flakes if present.

Oil Block and Cooler: will need a new cooler gasket, from dealer, no one has it.

All Accessories: this is including brackets. This includes a/c, power steering, alternator, and water pump...etc.

Flywheel/Flex plate: either stick or automatic.

Exhaust manifolds: now would be the time to clean up the flanges and install new bolts if needed.

Upper Intake: You may steal the IMT valves with o-rings as they are the same if you wish. LS and Jag share many sensors and fittings.

All the pulleys: you will reuse all your pulleys, tensioner and harmonic balancer.

Just remember you are basically stripping each engine down from valve covers to oil pan. You are starting with a long block.

Pictures may help but really its a basic thing. If your even tackling this project alone, you understand the concept of this swap. I just took my time and refreshed some things along the way. Just look at it as a Jaguar engine and you just recieved it from Summit as a long block. Your just cleanin up your parts to make it new again, replacing some seals, using new gaskets and everything is goin to be all better soon

Just a few sites I used in finding a good used engine...
automotix.net
car-part.com
ebay.com

Last edited by I <3 X-Type; 11-10-2010 at 12:18 AM.