X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need suggestions for new 18" rims!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 12:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I need suggestions for new 18" rims!

Have you ever thought about 19's?

I have 19x8 wheels with 215/35/19 tires, rides pretty close to stock. I used to have 225/35/19's but they rubbed and I ended up with some fender damage.

Try Coventry Wheels they are made custom for Jaguars. Not much selection but will give you an idea of offset and wheel diameter & width too look for.

Good luck!

Old 10-14-2008, 10:16 AM

I'm not sure about 18's. Have you thought about getting a narrow tire? Maybe 215? I think those would sit perfectly on the 7.5 wheel.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well I had these oz wheel 18's. They looked good IMO

Here are some konig theory 17's that were on it when I bought it (hated them and hated cleaning as well.)

I lived in Michigan when I owned the jag and had both the 17's and 18's. I could totally tell the difference between the 45 and 40 series tires. The ride was much rougher IMO vs. the 17's. If you don't have bad roads you probably wouldn't find the lower profile quite as bad. The road noise IMO was the same and the tires were actually both toyo proxes fz4 on both sets of rims the only difference were 225/45zr17 vs. 225/40/zr18. I experienced no rubbing except for the wheel well cover (black plastic inside the wheel well that keeps the debris from the engine bay) that was drooping for whatever reason. Otherwise no rubbing. I unfortunately don't know the offset of either sets. I'm pretty sure they were both 7.5 wide though. If you stay in that size you shouldn't have any problems with rubbing. Keep in mind the sport model is also lowered a little bit and I still had no rubbing issues. Let me know if you want more pics of them.

The best place I'd recommend to see stuff that will fit is Tirerack.com. They have a large amount of wheels that will fit your car and you can view them on it as well, keep in mind though the wheels will look much better than the wheel fitter image gives you. They actually also have a set of 19's that would fit your car and they are really inexpensive. The name is ASA JH9. The Rial Porto look nice too and are really inexpensive as well. Take a look at them and see for yourself. One of the problems with going with a 19 is that you won't be able to get anything but summer tires at least from tirerack. I'm not sure if you get bad weather at all or have mountains but with the awd I personally wouldn't bother with caring what type of tire you pick. The JH9 shipped to your zip code for 4 with general exclaim uhp tires is only $1322 out the door. The Rial Porto 18" rim would cost $1183.88 shipped. You can pick to have them mounted or not but I'm sure it affects the cost of shipping. I'm a 5-spoked person but they have more rims as well. Oh yeah ASA also has some other rims that have spoked inserts that allow you to change the color of the spoke. You may be skeptical but you may find a color that somewhat matches the red of your car. Either way check all the rims out that they have and see what you think. The asa rims are all inexpensive and mostly under 200 a rim for 18's.

AHA AR9 with machined face and anthracite accent

Here's the same rim with a machine face and black accent

Both of these rims are under $200 a rim.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member

Oh yeah and I'm pretty sure 1010tire is similar to tirerack in the sense that they only carry rims that truly fit your car without issues. Many other sites will have rims that are 5x108 and can be mounted but with no guarantee the offset will be +35 or +45 that should be used. As long as the rim is the proper offset and size you shouldn't have any rubbing issues with 225's on the 18 guaranteed and more than likely wouldn't with the 19's either. I'd stick with the 225s. Most of the rubbing issues with others that have 18's are people with 8.5" wide rims.

When I was looking for rims I wanted the Zinik z05 ikeda or the z07 adrian or the z18 minardi.

How come you want black with your red car? Chrome would look good especially if you have the non-sport model that has chrome accents. Personally I like black rims with black cars, unless you had the sport model where the only colors on the outside would be red and the black rims that would look good especially with some mesh upper and lower grills. That's just my opinion though, to each his own!

Old 10-17-2008, 07:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Agree with the post about rim size. I stuck with 17's due to the crappy roads around here. I bought Voxx rims from discounttiredirect.com. They have several styles that fit the X. They include hub spacers. I'm running 225/45/17's. The rims have held up quite well and look pretty good. I believe they have larger sizes as well.

It appears they no longer stock Voxx wheels, but they do have several styles. I was quite please with the customer service, speed of delivery, and quality of product.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...pager.offset=0

Old 10-17-2008, 08:12 AM

I know this is my personal opinion, and im sure others will have completely different views and opinions but I would avoid pirelli p-zero's like the plague! I have a set of 18" p-zero on my x and the road noise is horrible, the wear rather quickly, and just too pricey to pay for the name if the quality just isn't there, AGAIN Just my opinion! I have had 3 new sets of Hankook Ventus HRII's and absolutely love them, they are queit, the traction is outstanding, and the tread pattern looks amazing, plus friced under $98usd/ea you honestly can't beat them. Theyre may be others that hate Hankook, but they have proven themselves to me and I doubt I'll ever buy another brand now, once the p-zeros finish thier duty of getting me to work and home.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member

I agree with you 100% about Hankooks. I run IceBear W300's on the OEM rims in the winters. Fantastic grip, little noise, and they look great and don't wear very fast. Based on that experience, I bought Hankook Ventus V4's for my aftermarket summer rims. They also are holding up quite well, are quiet, handle great, and look good. And I got them at Pep Boys (I know) during a buy 3 get one free deal. Two of my friends have also bought the same IceBear/V4 combo's (Mustang Cobra and Honda Civic) and are pleased. We all know the X eats front tires no matter what, so why lay down huge $ on tires when there is a great cheaper alternative?

Old 10-17-2008, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member

ORIGINAL: GarrinChilders

I know this is my personal opinion, and im sure others will have completely different views and opinions but I would avoid pirelli p-zero's like the plague! I have a set of 18" p-zero on my x and the road noise is horrible, the wear rather quickly, and just too pricey to pay for the name if the quality just isn't there, AGAIN Just my opinion! I have had 3 new sets of Hankook Ventus HRII's and absolutely love them, they are queit, the traction is outstanding, and the tread pattern looks amazing, plus friced under $98usd/ea you honestly can't beat them. Theyre may be others that hate Hankook, but they have proven themselves to me and I doubt I'll ever buy another brand now, once the p-zeros finish thier duty of getting me to work and home.
I wanted to love my hankook tires! The tread looked sweet and they were decent tires but I put maybe 10k miles and they needed to be replaced. My buddy has some kooks' on his bonneville now and he hasn't had any problems. I assume perhaps my tires were just bad, I hated them solely for wearing too fast.

When I buy tires I go for bang for the buck...what's the best deal I can get on the best set of tires. With the internet being so huge though it's so much easier to find what you are looking for. If you want to find the most recommended tire or the tire to avoid it's really quite easy. Gotta love the internet!

You could also go directly into a discount tire if you have a local one, just tell them what their website says and they should be able to match. My tires were put on before I bought it, I went to discount tire because I had a nail in the tire and asked the sales guy if I could get roadhazard on them. He told me yeah well fill the tires with air first see what happens and just come back if there is a nail in the tire. Needless to say I spent the 70 bucks on the hazard and went to get them rebalanced at goodyear since I paid them to do the first one. I later went and got gas and noticed the nail and marked it. For 17 more dollars (to cover the new tire) I got a brand new tire. Discount tire is a pretty good place with generally pretty good people. My tire was over $150 replaced and I had it replaced for $34 bucks.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:55 PM
Veteran Member

What is the significance of the Monte Carlo picture?

Old 10-17-2008, 08:03 PM
Default RE: I need suggestions for new 18

So we are talking about rims here, I am curious what are the lightest set of 18"s that will bolt on the X-type?
________
Honda CR110

Last edited by KA3AX; 01-23-2011 at 10:27 AM.
Old 10-18-2008, 03:03 PM
Veteran Member

I was trying to find a pic of the tires I had and the that was all i could find but it shows the rims and not the tires...

At tirerack the kazera kz-a dual pcd 18 weighs 20lbs. which is the lightest 18" wheel they have.

Old 10-18-2008, 11:40 PM

Yeah, but I was thinking the lightest 18"s in general, not tirerack.

What about the Jag 18" that are on the stock Sport edition, how heavy are those and where would be the best price to get a set?

Thanks!
________
Honda XR50

Old 10-19-2008, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member

I don't know about that. I was just giving you what tirerack had. I'd say buy a set from tirerack as the rims/tire combo with new everything would only be a couple hundred bucks more than the sport wheels if your lucky enough to get a set. 20lbs seems pretty light, I doubt the stock rims are quite that light.

Old 10-19-2008, 12:10 PM

Thanks aquill1!
________
teen videos