X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i want to go faster..

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 08:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default i want to go faster..

i know that after i finally put my rims they willmake my car go slower, so what can i do to make it faster?its a 2.5..

Old 07-05-2008, 09:16 PM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: i want to go faster..

What?[&:]

Old 07-05-2008, 10:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nitrous, best bang for your buck. Anything else your pretty much wasting your money.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:27 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

playboi, without ripping into the engine and doing work there, your best bet is at a minimum a cat back exhaust system. Ideally, you will want to go with a long tube header setup (but this will more than likely have to be custom made for you as it appears there is no bolt on kit for this) along with the cat back setup. Much beyond that, you are looking at messing with the internals of the motor. Jag does a good job with this engine, so you normal upgrades of say an intake or things like that are already taken out of the equation for you.

If you are going to get into the engine, then you are most likely looking at porting/polishing the heads. For the money, that is where you will see the best benefit. But, you are looking at about $1500 for the head work and having the car down for about a week.

Chris "Thermo" Coleman

Old 07-06-2008, 01:27 PM

i am fairly new to the X-Type but if i have read properly. if you are going to do any engine work for more power you are going to want to beef up the driveline too cause the tranny and transfer case are a weak point in these cars if i am not mistaken.

Old 07-06-2008, 03:20 PM

thanks for all the input. im glad i asked the question cause the k&n air filter was the first thing i looked at.. im not really lookin to get into the engine like that so i think the only thing i will do is the exhaust..

Old 07-06-2008, 03:43 PM

I put a K&N air filter in my car. There wasn't too much of a difference. It might have been a little bit more responsive but not a huge improvement. Then again i have a 3.0 so not sure if it will make more of a difference in the 2.5.

Old 07-06-2008, 09:14 PM

ORIGINAL: alarsen77

I put a K&N air filter in my car. There wasn't too much of a difference. It might have been a little bit more responsive but not a huge improvement. Then again i have a 3.0 so not sure if it will make more of a difference in the 2.5.
anybody w/ a 2.5 add a k&n air filter?

Old 07-06-2008, 11:48 PM

exhaust, cold air or short ram intake, performance chip.
check out www.jaguarxp.com they have a cold air just for x types.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:24 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

when you say performance chip... do you mean those $8 resistors on ebay that people get for there cars?

Old 07-07-2008, 11:00 AM
ud

ORIGINAL: mr.xtype

when you say performance chip... do you mean those $8 resistors on ebay that people get for there cars?
I think you're right...I believe the ECM is a sealed unit..But if anyone buys one of those IAT resistors..I got some beach front property in Colorado I can sell ya too

Old 07-07-2008, 02:32 PM

LOL.
One of my friends actually bought one of those "chips" for his obdII bmw 540i...
He came to me and was like "Hey can you help me install this since you're good with stuff like this?"
I just laughed...

but anyways...
that brings me to a question that I've been meaning to ask..
Does the K&N airfilter, and I'm saying filter not the cold air intake crap, do anything for the car?
I know that onMOSTbmw's aside from the little 318's, if you put a k&n airfilter ork&n cold air intake, the car will actually LOSE horsepower..

Old 07-07-2008, 03:14 PM
ud

Lots of pros and cons on the subject...I can't see where it will rob you of any power, as it will breath better, longer after it is dirty..hence the point of the K&N is that it allows easier air flow (a plus for better throttle response)...I have one and I also hollowed out all the baffles in the air box..and yes, I noticed a slight improvement on throttle response...As far as any major HP increase, I didn't notice any.

Old 07-07-2008, 05:19 PM

Yea.. that's what sounds right logically.. but the K&N doesn't just let more air in.. it also lets more dust and dirt particles in..
I think it might be alright for like a month or so.. but then wouldnt itgradually start to harm the engine?

I guess its just user preference..

Old 07-07-2008, 05:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The X-Type already has a decent air intake system, so throwing in a K&N filter won't do much of anything. As you can see, people haven't been getting any mind boggling results after installing it.

You want power for cheap? Do a throttle body bypass. I did, and I think I might have gained something.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:36 PM
ud

ORIGINAL: rosemont83

Yea.. that's what sounds right logically.. but the K&N doesn't just let more air in.. it also lets more dust and dirt particles in..
I think it might be alright for like a month or so.. but then wouldnt itgradually start to harm the engine?

I guess its just user preference..
I guess it may depend on your driving environment..But after 12 months with a K&N, my intake tube is clean as a whistle...However I change my oil every 5000 miles and if there even was a concern for any dirt getting past the filter, regular oil changes protects from any contaminate accumulation..

Old 07-07-2008, 06:37 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

I have a K&N filter only installed in my car. Throttle response is better, but as far as power, didn't see anything. Looking at the intake, it is make pretty good and installing something aftermarket I doubt would net anything either. Now, if you pulled the intake and did a little bit of porting/polishing to that, then you can see some power gains there. But, this is more than likely beyond what most people are willing to do. Granted, I'm about ready to do it myself. I am just waiting till I have to pull the intake anyways to do the spark plugs.

Chris "Thermo" Coleman

Old 07-08-2008, 02:43 AM

cool cool....
yea porting and polishing gets pretty expensive..
lol..

but about the throttle body bypass...
what exactly is that and how did you do it?

Old 07-27-2008, 08:58 PM

I replaced my stock wheels to 235 x 18 x 45 wheels and I didnt notice a bit of change in speed, Looking for power?get the nitrous system that jaguarxp offers, however I think this will reduce the life of your engine. I also tried a catback, 2.5 inches pipes, not much gain either but the loud masculine sound and a little vibration that mimic a stronger torque . K&N filter is a winner for you don't have to replace it again with those paper air filters. If you have a 2.5 liter engine, maybe consider getting a 3.0 instead you gain almost 50 HP.

My 2 cents.....