Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm thinking about buying an X-type and have questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 08:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 45 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: I'm thinking about buying an X-type and have questions

Hey bower, welcome! 1) yes the warranty is transferable. 2) Yes you can take it to a Ford dealership, but I would suggest taking it to a Jag dealership because they would be better prepared to serve your car! 3) It shares little to nothing with any ford, other than the platform and manufacturer! 4) Iron Cobra, here on the forum, is selling an 03 with 30K miles, with many X-tras, for 15K. Go and find it and I'll let other X owners tell you about how reliable the car is!

Old 05-18-2007, 09:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome, why would we attack you if you are trying to buy a car we have and love? These cars are awesome as long as you take care of it. The car demands respect by every person on the road. Actually 2 hours ago a audi turned in front of me at a light I was stopped and with his eyes dead set on my car! Funny part is it was a brand new audi! I have an 02 so it gives you an idea as to how much respect this car demands. Don't worry about things going wrong every car has problems. It comes down to would you rather have problems in a impala or something that stands out everywhere in the jag? Watch what you pay because these cars can be had for a pretty good deal or you could get wripped off so if you have other questions come and ask. Any requirements you want on a car? I'll help you find what your looking for if you want!

Old 05-19-2007, 01:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

whoops

Old 05-19-2007, 01:20 AM
Veteran Member

ORIGINAL: bowersst
Hello Everyone,
This is my first post here, so go easy on me.
I've been told that the X-type shares alot of parts with the FOrd Contour and Ford Fusion.

Taken from the book'The X Type..The inside story of the most
important Jaguar ever'
'In the end the percentage of donor parts from Mondeo to X Type is actually no more than 20% and of this most are bits you don't see like wiper mechanisms and air conditioning systems.The most significant carry-overs are suspension,brakes and basic engine block.But so much work has been done on each of these components by Jaguar that it hardly seems fair or accurate to describe them as Ford cast-offs.For example the Macpherson strut front suspension has been so comprehensively redesigned** to maximise ride refinement and eliminate torque steer that it would be barely recognisable to a Ford engineer.The rear suspension is from the Mondeo estate not the saloon as it uses a more compact version of the multi-link setup which allows for a lower boot floor and greater ride refinement.'
**The Mondeo uses single tube Macpherson struts and the X type
enginners redisigned these into a better twin tube strut.

Hope this helps somewhat but it is a 65 page A4 book so just tried
to outline a liitle bit of it!

Hardly any modern cars dont share parts with other cars these days,however as can be seen with the Jaguar suspension the Jaguar item has been totally redisigned from the Ford it was based on.
Others which share some parts which havent been rediesigned are for example..VW/Audi/Skoda/Seat all have some interchangeable parts..a Seat Ibiza door is the same as a VW Golf ..a Seat Arosa is EXACTLY the same car as a VW Lupo....Saabs and Vauxhalls share some GM parts...Lexus and Toyota...even Renault and Vauxhall vans.The brakes on mine are the same as a Mk3 Mondeo which means they are cheap to replace (even if you upgrade to the EBC ceramics/dimpled-grooved discs) like me.
ORIGINAL: bowersst

Also, in general, would you recommend the X-type? Has it been a good car for you? Are there any known problems which I should look into?

Best car Ive had in 22 years.Only had one minor thing go wrong(speed sensor) which was replaced under aftermarket warranty.I have had my X type for 2 years andaim to keep it for another 3 then get another one.Ive went to France last year and came back feeling like I could drive there and back again.

PS What is the Ford Fusion youre talking about?Is this the same car as the UK one? asI hired a Ford Fusion in Spain the other week and it is a smaller car than the Mondeo (Contour)(sort of between a Ford Fiesta and a Ford Focus)

Old 05-19-2007, 06:50 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

also if ure talking about the similarities of a ford, the ford does not have awd like the X's, and once you step in to a Jag, u know its a jag!

Old 05-19-2007, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

That's true .I think nothing to complaint about using same parts .Aston Martin also used Jaguar parts but it's an Aston Martin that's the most and foremost thing .What's important to me is that parts used in such high class cars must be above the average in regards to qulaity .

Old 05-19-2007, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah buck thats it...here's a picture...the x doesn't share anything or the x never used anything off of a fusion to my knowledge after all its only a year or 2 old!

[IMG]local://upfiles/674/884460DFB2C64473B0E07E01B11CC758.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-19-2007, 12:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yep, the fusion shares parts/structure with the mazda 6, and both are newer than the 2nd gen. mondeo platform the x uses. the contour has nothing to do with the x, it shared parts with 1st gen. mondeo.

Old 05-19-2007, 12:33 PM
Veteran Member

No its not that one either.Turns out the US and European Ford Fusions are different.This is a UK Ford Fusion:-
[IMG]local://upfiles/702/B833BF6E6A51479EB11345E927E780CC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-19-2007, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member

ORIGINAL: macchiavelli

yep, the fusion shares parts/structure with the mazda 6, and both are newer than the 2nd gen. mondeo platform the x uses. the contour has nothing to do with the x, it shared parts with 1st gen. mondeo.
The X doesnt share any parts with the 2nd gen Mondeo..Its the 3rd gen Mondeo
[IMG]local://upfiles/702/661F3C14C525458A8B8B80040CE02551.jpg[/IMG]
The MK 1 Mondeo abovestarted production in around 93 and went out in 1996.
The 2nd gen Mondeo below didnt share any parts with the X [IMG]local://upfiles/702/97A2D90F19D347BABCB1055762FD7CA9.jpg[/IMG]was 1996-2000 and

the current 3rd gen is the one which the X shares less than 20% parts eg air condensor,brakes,wiper motors,etc.
[IMG]local://upfiles/702/E4F590CB802645A9883A98C3757B567E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-19-2007, 02:50 PM
Veteran Member

Your fusion looks similar to it but in a suv format! We call that mondeo (the latest one) a ford focus...man I wish you wouldn't have said they share parts! The focus is the cheapest ford you can get over here!

[IMG]local://upfiles/674/5060602C399947F2A7C8E4EE3175E79E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-19-2007, 03:54 PM

yes, yes, i skipped one gen. when writing. i wrote a lengthy explanation in some other thread a while ago.
about the 20% issue, however, it depends on how one does the calculation, no matter how jaguar explains it. do they include in the count only non-modified items of ford origin or "pure" jag parts, for example? for example the engine might or might not qualify, since it's a modified ford duratec. similar arguments for some other key parts.
in any case, i do not see the platform/part sharing with the mondeo as a bad thing; the mondeo won every award in sight in europe and beyond when it came out, and if anything, the x benefits from the connection. the only issues from the mondeo, such as interior plastics, textiles etc are mostly addressed in the x in the form of beautiful leather and wood anyway.

Old 05-19-2007, 06:11 PM
Veteran Member

ORIGINAL: aquill1
We call that mondeo (the latest one) a ford focus...man I wish you wouldn't have said they share parts! The focus is the cheapest ford you can get over here!
This is our Ford Focus its a smaller car than our Mondeo look
UK Focus
[IMG]local://upfiles/702/50964A50BE4B4D31963BB3974403FDDE.jpg[/IMG]

And this is it compared to our Mondeo:-
[IMG]local://upfiles/702/19A0C3D5E6954BAEA8E88F6FA77A1EA9.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-20-2007, 08:30 PM

Common issues:

Leaking or clunking AWD units
Steering squeak (updated seals available)
Driveshaft carrier bearing makes noise and vibrates (updated design)
Steering wheel shimmy due to bent rims, poor wheel balance, or driveline issues. The car is really sensitive to vibrations.
Early Auto trans units can be problematic
A/C clutch units can go bad or fall off and the compressor has to be replaced (I believe the new one is updated)
Defogger vents in dash squeak

Overall, however, the car is pretty reliable. If you purchase an early X with some miles on it still under warranty, most of these issues will have been taken care of. Compared to an Audi, which are commonly burdened by coolant leaks, tire wear issues, and fuel and ignition issues, the X is a much more reliable car. Plus, it looks cooler and it's a blast to drive.

I can shamelessly plug my car here: 2002 X- 3.0 Sport The common issues have been addressed on my car.[sm=massbounce.gif]

Old 05-20-2007, 08:31 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah I was just kidding the mondeo you posted a pic of just has similar headlights to the focus! The mondeo looks good...I LOVE THE 2007 Mondeo! Wow I couldn't help but pause and zoom in on the Bond movie!

Old 05-21-2007, 09:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 45 Likes on 15 Posts

Sonic Riot, if your car is all goo now, why are you selling it?

Old 05-21-2007, 11:03 PM

ORIGINAL: bigdreams05

Sonic Riot, if your car is all goo now, why are you selling it?
I want a V8!! I've always been a muscle car fan but when I purchased this car, I couldn't afford the payments or the insurance on a GTO. I never planned to buy a Jag, I just stumbled on it and had to have it. Plus, I tend to blow through cars every couple years. I've owned 5 cars over the past 7 years. My father changes cars like underwear. I just seem to follow suit...

If it doesn't sell, oh well. I might be able to have both next year. Plus, I'll have an easy winter driver again.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member

Man hang onto it that is a great looking X by the way love the color!

Old 05-22-2007, 05:24 PM

ORIGINAL: aquill1

Man hang onto it that is a great looking X by the way love the color!
Thanks. If I do keep it, it will need some performance upgrades...

Quick Reply: I'm thinking about buying an X-type and have questions