X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Important question about my Jag

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 12:27 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Important question about my Jag

The previous owner left the service records of his oil changes. I believe he used synthetic blend, is it alright if I go with Fully synthetic oil? I hope its not a problem.

Old 11-24-2007, 12:31 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Important question about my Jag

READ THE FAQS!!! SEARCH THE FORUMS BEFORE ASKING!!! every topic you will ever have a question about has already been beat to death on this forum. do a search.

Old 11-24-2007, 01:04 PM

meany

Old 11-24-2007, 01:17 PM

Hey nineball im sorry man I didnt know there was a FAQ on the search sorry man. I found someone asking that the previous owner used non synthetic and wanted to go to synthetic, but my previous owner used synthetic blend should I stay with synthetic blend or should I go to fully synthetic?

Old 11-24-2007, 03:19 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

full synth is fine to use if you are over 10k miles, which means you should have had at least 1 if not 2 oil changes.

here is the link to the faqs. go crazy.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forumid...smode_3/tt.htm

Old 11-24-2007, 10:19 PM

Oh yeah the car has 55k right now so he used synthetic blend so I can switch to fully synthetic? Thanks a-lot man

Old 11-24-2007, 11:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try reading this link...me personally I see no reason to not use synthetic but I'm pretty sure if you start syn you don't stop syn...not for sure on that but that is what I've heard forever now...
LINK

Old 11-25-2007, 10:56 PM
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe you could switch even between every other oil change. The oil does not change the metal, seals or engineering of the engine. Every can of synthetic oil label I have read states they are fully compatible with conventional oil. If someone knows something different, I would like to read it.

Doug

Old 11-26-2007, 12:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 44 Likes on 14 Posts

You can put half synthetic and half regular, change between them from oil change to oil change, or just always use synthetic. Either way, the car will be fine.

Old 11-26-2007, 04:06 PM
Veteran Member

Mechanics I've talked to disagree with this...
I'm not sure if thats from older synthetics that caused problems as I'm sure they have, the oil feels thinner than conventional oil... I've heard stories about how the chemicals in the synthetic were different than the conventional oils and caused something with the seals/gaskets...or at least something of that nature...

Old 11-26-2007, 05:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might be refering to the fact that synthetics like Mobil 1 do such a great job at cleaning the engine, sometimes the crud that builds on the seals gets cleaned out and then the engine develops leaks. The same is said about transmission seals. I think this is mostly on high mile engines that have a lot of gum deposits built in the engine. The leaks might already be there but not that bad to leak out a lot of oil, but when it gets cleaned from the inside, out comes the oil and it is noticeable now. Of course others might disagree.

Ozzy

Old 11-26-2007, 06:47 PM
Veteran Member

Oh I use it too!
Don't get me wrong I picture the car in my mind running smoother with it rather than without it...I just picture different oils acting differently...kind of like when you get oil on your hands and...I don't feel like getting into a conversation about oil...kind of like intervals at which you should change them...it makes no sense to do that as we will all do whatever we feel like doing anyways...many times I find myself making my own rules about all sorts of stuff anyways!

Old 11-27-2007, 01:04 AM

ORIGINAL: aquill1

Mechanics I've talked to disagree with this...
I'm not sure if thats from older synthetics that caused problems as I'm sure they have, the oil feels thinner than conventional oil... I've heard stories about how the chemicals in the synthetic were different than the conventional oils and caused something with the seals/gaskets...or at least something of that nature...
So you heard stories about synthetic oils and they "feel thinner". So what does that say? So far you have not countered with fact that one can not switch or mix conventional and synthetic oils. I believe all those stories are just myths.

Doug

Old 11-27-2007, 04:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

I love reading those oil threads as much

My experience with that you should stickk to your owners manual when you buy an oil . Yuo should never use a full synthetic just because it's more expensive therefore it protects your engine better .Nope,that's not true

Old 11-27-2007, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member

I too find mysef making my own rules all the time, but I've mixed and matched oils all the time on all my cars, and switched in between oil changes. Albeit, I do always buy the best of each when I do. Again, like bo said: "This is all anecdotal".

Old 11-27-2007, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member

I don't care what anyone says...look at it this way I go swap every oil change to a different oil when something does happen is dougs02 going to pay to fix my car? Screw whatever anyone says...do what you want and what you will (which we all do anyways, unless of course you have no ***** and make a decision on what everyone else says.) Me personally I'll stick to doing all synthetic and not switching...

Old 11-28-2007, 12:36 AM

aquill1, I think you are wise using synthetic in your car. I used conventional oil in a 95 XJ6 for the 10 years that I owned it and the engine seemed as good the day I sold it as the day I bought it. That said, I changed the oil in the 02 XJ8 with 20,000 miles I just bought with synthetic and that is what it will get from now on.
I do believe synthetic oil is superior to conventional oil and would not mix it willie-nillie, (whatever that means)

And what? you don't think I would pay to fix your car. Now that's just being mean and slander.lol

Doug

Old 11-28-2007, 07:32 AM
Veteran Member

LOL! Doug's becoming one of us...truly picked up on the jaguarforums.com camaraderie.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member

LOL! I like the synthetic as well...I'm still kind of scared though as it seems thinner than conventional oil...I'm afraid of it causing leaks because of this!

Quick Reply: Important question about my Jag