X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installation of water pump 02 Jaguar X type

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 08:13 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

new2me, not a problem. That is why we are here. Keep looking around, keep posting up with things you have learned about the car and we will all benefit from what others find out.

Old 10-22-2014, 04:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi is this for the 2.0 diesel?

Old 10-22-2014, 09:48 PM
Received 286 Likes on 234 Posts

Geezer: You are certainly welcome to post your 2.0L diesel questions in this forum, but most of us have 2.5L and 3.0L petrol engines in our X-types. The Jaguar UK forum has many owners of X-Types with 2.0L diesels.

Here's the link to the UK forum: JaguarForum.co.uk - The World's # 1 Jaguar Car Forum

Last edited by dwclapp; 10-22-2014 at 09:54 PM.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
dale, replacing the water pump is a pretty straight forward job. yes, the water pump is on the driver's side of the engine and it sounds like where your leak is coming from. In short, what you need to do is this:

1) remove the battery and battery tray to access the water pump
2) You will now see a belt with 3 pulleys on it, 1 pulley has a cap, one has a single bolt on it, the last pulley has 3 bolts on it. Loosen the pulley with the single bolt and put some slack in the belt. Remove the belt.
3) Now, remove the 3 bolts on the pulley. This will give you access to remove the water pump.
4) Remove the 8 bolts to the piece with the capped pulley on it. This is the water pump itself.

Now, this all assumes that you have the coolant drained in the first place. This is done by opening the drain valve on the radiator itself. Installation is simply going in reverse. Dont' forget that you need to "burp" the coolant system in this car a special way. It isn't like other cars where you simply fill the system and then run it for a bit. This car involves pinching a hose shut to force the fluid through the engine, forcing the air out of the block. Sounds more difficult than it really is. If you are not familiar with this, let me know and I will give you directions on how to burp the car.
Great step by step directions!

I dont know if you remember but you gave me great advice one time in regards to an overheating issue.

Now I have a similar problem.

I think my water pump is shot but i wanted to confirm with someone if this was the case.

Today I went to the store and everything was ok.

On my way home i first smelled a sweet odor and i suspected a coolant issue. Sure enough as i was pulling over to check i saw smoke coming out of the hood.

The car never overheated. I turned off the car and the fans stayed on for a few minutes which is unusual. I was only a few blocks from my house so i decided to drive it the short distance. Once again i pulled over because this time i saw the temp gauge slowly going past the normal midpoint. I turned off the car and let the fans run 8-10mins until they turned off. Then i opened the coolant tank and added half a gallon of 50/50 prestone coolant that i had in my trunk hoping this would solve the issue.

I turned on the car again and drove it another short distance until i saw smoke again. Again it didnt overheat but this time i saw smoke coming from the water pump. At least i think it is the water pump. I saw smoke coming from a part that had 3 pulleys and adjacent to the battery. I also noticed that the belt on the pulley was totally "chewed up" in a way that had rubber residue on one of the pulleys and it looked like the belt is hanging on by a thread.

Obviously i need to replace that belt but i also wanted to confirm if i need a new water pump as well since i saw smoke coming out of the part i suspect is the water pump. Also i was wondering if i should be wary of any other potential issue.

Finally i just want to mention that lately the car had been making odd noises at all times it was on. At idle and running it sounded like water gushing/stomach growling and it came in the vicinity of the belt that needs to be replaced.

Also today when i kept turning it on driving it..it was only for a short distance..approximately 2-3 blocks before i saw smoking coming from the hood. I ended up leaving it a few blocks from my house and walking home. I hope i can diagnose and have this problem fixed before monday so i can get to work!!

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by anONYMOUSdroid; 11-07-2014 at 08:09 PM.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:37 PM
Veteran member

Droid, with the motor cold, go back to the car and get it home. It will be fine to drive for the few blocks unless you get completely blocked in traffic. Then simply get the car off to the side and wait for the traffic to clear.

Once the car is home, remove the belt that is "hanging on by a thread". From what you are describing, it is sounding like the water pump has siezed on you and the belt became the weak link. Once you get the belt off, you will see the water pump and you can attempt to turn it by hand. It should turn very easy. If you feel the water pump feeling like it has rocks inside of it, then it is bad. If it won't turn, then it is definitely bad. Don't forget to check the idler puller to make sure that hasn't seized on you.

Lets see what you have at that point and then I think the repair is going to be pretty obvious.

Old 11-07-2014, 11:44 PM

Droid, with the motor cold, go back to the car and get it home. It will be fine to drive for the few blocks unless you get completely blocked in traffic. Then simply get the car off to the side and wait for the traffic to clear.

Once the car is home, remove the belt that is "hanging on by a thread". From what you are describing, it is sounding like the water pump has siezed on you and the belt became the weak link. Once you get the belt off, you will see the water pump and you can attempt to turn it by hand. It should turn very easy. If you feel the water pump feeling like it has rocks inside of it, then it is bad. If it won't turn, then it is definitely bad. Don't forget to check the idler puller to make sure that hasn't seized on you.

Lets see what you have at that point and then I think the repair is going to be pretty obvious.
Hi thermo..thanks for your prompt reply.

I just got back from driving the car home.

The burnt smell was immediately apparent once i started driving even though the car had been off for a good 3hrs.

Tomorrow morning i will try to take pics and upload them. The belt is definitely passed its life.

You say that the water pump may well be seized..now is that a result of a bad belt or did the water pump cause the belt to become worn?

I know my question sounds illogical but im just interested in knowing the cause and effect.

For some reason ive been suspecting a bad water pump for a year now but i never thought it would start burning on me!! The smell and smoke is very distinct.

Im looking to buy an ac delco water pump and belt from ebay for approximately $50..do you think that is ideal?

Thanks again for your help. Much obliged.

Old 11-08-2014, 07:24 AM
Veteran member

Droid, odds are, the water pump took the belt out. Unless the belt was way out of alignment (not really possible with the setup), that is about the only way the belt could take out the water pump. If you were smelling the coolant right off the bat, then either you have some on the exhaust header or it is on the belt and it is not turning which is causing it to get hot.

As for the pump/belt combo you are looking at, that is about right for that pump. The big thing you want to look at is whether it has the metal impeller or the plastic impeller. To me the metal impeller would last longer, but it also seems to have shorter fins on the pump which would make me think that it would flow less. Granted, I have that on my car and I haven't had any overheating issues. So, maybe my logic is flawed.

Old 11-08-2014, 05:01 PM

Droid, odds are, the water pump took the belt out. Unless the belt was way out of alignment (not really possible with the setup), that is about the only way the belt could take out the water pump. If you were smelling the coolant right off the bat, then either you have some on the exhaust header or it is on the belt and it is not turning which is causing it to get hot.

As for the pump/belt combo you are looking at, that is about right for that pump. The big thing you want to look at is whether it has the metal impeller or the plastic impeller. To me the metal impeller would last longer, but it also seems to have shorter fins on the pump which would make me think that it would flow less. Granted, I have that on my car and I haven't had any overheating issues. So, maybe my logic is flawed.
Thanks for the heads up on the pump. Im going to have to ask the seller whether it is plastic or metal.

I wouldnt be surprised that the pump took out the belt since its been going bad for about a year now. In fact one day i had a major coolant explosion. It was only that one time and i thought it was an isolated issue but one day when i return

I went to feel if there was any tension left on the belt and it just came off. I want to make sure the pulleys arent bad either. You mentioned the idler pulley..is that pulley below the 3 visible ones??

Old 11-08-2014, 05:08 PM

Thanks for the heads up on the pump. Im going to have to ask the seller whether it is plastic or metal.

I wouldnt be surprised that the pump took out the belt since its been going bad for about a year now. In fact one day i had a major coolant explosion. It was only that one time and i thought it was an isolated issue but one day when i returned home from work i noticed a little steam coming from the front driver side. The car was already off so i opened the hood and it looks coolant shot out of the water pump under pressure and it landed all over the engine cover and the hoses and belts. I wonder if that event also contributed to a corrosion effect because the belt looks like it was eaten away by acid/etc!

Today iwent to feel if there was any tension left on the belt and it just came off. I have attached pictures so you can see how bad it was.

Now I want to make sure the pulleys arent bad either. You mentioned the idler pulley..is that pulley below the 3 visible ones??

Attached Thumbnails Installation of water pump 02 Jaguar X type-forumrunner_20141108_170654.png   Installation of water pump 02 Jaguar X type-forumrunner_20141108_170721.png   Installation of water pump 02 Jaguar X type-forumrunner_20141108_170823.png  
Old 11-09-2014, 07:19 AM
Veteran member

Droid, the idler pulley is the one that you move to give you room to install the belt. You would see 3 pulleys. 1 pulley is what turns the water pump, 1 pulley is on the end of the camshaft which is what drives everything, then you have the idler pulley (or some may call it the tensioner) which is there only to keep tension on the belt so you don't have to adjust anything.

The following users liked this post:
Lcgi (03-30-2020)
Old 11-11-2014, 08:44 PM

I am taking on changing the waterpump tomorrow and was wondering if I will have to make any adjustments to the timing chain?

Old 11-11-2014, 10:12 PM
Received 149 Likes on 138 Posts

No adjustments to the timing needed.

For what it is worth, I had a chance to flow test both the plastic and metal impellers (my mom's Taurus used the same pump) flow pretty much the same volume, even though the plastic impellers are larger. The metal impeller has a different attack angle, so the smaller fins flow just about the same as the straighter plastic ones.

The Ford Engineering theory on the plastic is that they don't transfer as much heat to the bearings, and allow the pump to be slightly lighter and longer-lived.

Last edited by wa3ra; 11-11-2014 at 10:14 PM.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:20 PM

Hey Gang,
Rock Auto is trying to sell me a "water pump wrench" do I need a special tool to replace my pump?

Old 02-13-2015, 06:13 PM
Veteran member

mini, no special tool needed. Just need something that you can grab on to the tensioner and move it a little to release the tension on the idler pulley/tensioner. I seem to remember just using my hands to do it. But, don't quote me on that. It is fairly easy to operate.

Old 05-27-2016, 05:45 PM

Thermo's procedure worked perfectly on my '05 3.0 Sport today.

Old 01-18-2017, 07:22 PM
Default Water pump

When I'm replacing the water pump for my Jaguar x type do I need to replace the timing belts as well?

Old 01-18-2017, 08:26 PM
Veteran member

Mito, the timing "belts" are made of metal (they are actually timing chains). So, unless you have revved the engine way beyond the red line or done some other majorly wrong thing to the engine, the timing chains should be just fine.

As for the serpentine belt (ie, the belt that connects the alternator and power steering pump), I would give that a good look and see how the belt is. But, that is completely different from the water pump. There is a small belt that drives the water pump, but again, pull it off and give it a look. If it looks fine, put it back on. If it is cracked and/or the edges are starting to wear, replace.

Old 01-24-2017, 04:10 PM
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Mito, here's a picture of the water pump, belt and tensioner. You'll need to take the battery out of the car as shown in the picture. Drain coolant first for less mess. The belt is minor cost, so changing it along with the pump is advisable. Large pulley with three bolts is attached to bank 2 exhaust camshaft. After you release tension on belt and take it off, remove that large pulley. Then your prize (the WP) is front and center; it's pretty simple replacement.

Attached Thumbnails Installation of water pump 02 Jaguar X type-fill-plug.jpg  

Last edited by swingwing; 01-24-2017 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Added sentences.
Old 04-05-2017, 03:35 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just wanted to resurrect an oldish thread for no reason except to say many thanks to all that have input here.
I barely know the right end of a ratchet, but thought I'd have a go at replacing my water pump when mine started leaking. You all made it sound as simple as it actually is! The instruction here is first class, without feeling like it's been dumbed down for people like myself.
I know it wasn't too technical, but it gives such a feeling of achievement having successfully managed it.

Thanks for making my day,

The following users liked this post:
Jag4 (04-23-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 08:40 PM
Veteran member

Shepherd, be careful ,we might start talking you into bigger and more challenging projects. He he he he he he.

Once you start playing with the car, you will see how good of a car it really is to learn things on. Then with the helpful guides that we have here, you will be amazed as to what you can do on your own and the amount of money that you can save for beers at the pub.

The following 2 users liked this post by Thermo:
dustin03xtype (03-10-2020), Jag4 (04-23-2017)

Quick Reply: Installation of water pump 02 Jaguar X type