X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed new markers + LED

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 02:05 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Installed new markers + LED

My old marker housing were melting and cracked, so I ordered new ones and added LEDs to them.

I ordered clear/crystal for the front and rear markers, and smoked ones for the fender turn signals...

Before

After

Just a note: The front/rear assemblies came with new bulb sockets, however they did not fit the connectors in my 2002 - the new sockets had an extra ridge along one side that prevented it from fitting into the connector. I had to re-use the stock ones. Other than that, it took about 20 minutes to pop out the markers, swap the LEDs for the stock bulbs, and pop the new markers into place.

Old 09-22-2014, 05:55 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Looks really good! I did the same to mine, except I did clear all the way around. Question, do your front ones fit a little loosely? Mine do and I'm trying to figure a way to better secure them.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:12 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's a picture at night:

Originally Posted by ugotmale
Looks really good! I did the same to mine, except I did clear all the way around. Question, do your front ones fit a little loosely? Mine do and I'm trying to figure a way to better secure them.
Thanks! It's my first mod to the car, which I hope is going to last. I've noticed some noise from the passenger side of the engine that has me concerned, hopefully someone will speculate on what's wrong in the thread I posted about it.

As for fitting - I noticed that they didn't take as much force to get in as the old ones, but they were still snug and dodn't move around at all. Now that you've said something I'm sure I'll be paranoid for a few days and will be rechecking them every time I'm done driving it

Old 09-23-2014, 12:48 PM
Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by ugotmale
I did the same. Used the chrome bulbs so they didn't look like fried eggs! Mine were also a little loose. I used a little duck tape and they have been snug for two years.

The following users liked this post:
ugotmale (09-24-2014)
Old 09-24-2014, 12:22 AM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by flyrr100
I used a little duck tape and they have been snug for two years.
How did you apply the duct tape? Like where or in what manner? I'd like to do the same.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:52 AM
Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts

While the lights were out I wrapped the metal edges where the front of the light was with a small piece of tape. Just enough to make it tighter.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, guys. I did the same mods a few months back, replaced rear and front fender markers with clear lenses and led bulbs. I had the same problem too with the new housings coming with that extra tab along the side of the bulb connector. I just ran a box cutter along the side and cut the tab out because the old bulb connector was in pretty rough and brittle shape. My biggest problem was while taking the lens and housing off there was only about an inch of wire play. I ended up cutting and adding longer wire to all connectors because I just couldn't turn the lens enough to pop the bulb connector in, soldered everything together so it's permanent (the crimps were in bad shape as well, wire could've popped out with one good bump in the road) wasn't bad took about half hour to do. Anyways as far as how loose the new lenses are (i found the fronts only to be very loose) there is a metal clip you can just basically pinch with some pliers that should tighten it right up. Pop it in and see if it wiggles then adjust as necessary. I took pics of the whole process, was gonna write a simple 'how to' on it but I'm pretty swamped with work nowadays... plus I don't know how to add pics... anyways if anyone has questions before attempting this I'm pretty sure I still have the pics. PM and I'll send em over.
-Duke