X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interior lights flashing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 11:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior lights flashing?

I'm in MN and have a 2002 X Type with about 84K miles. Occasionally all the interior lights will start flashing. This includes the lights on the dash, radio, on the window switches, temp controls, ceiling light switches...any switch that is illuminated basically. It has always happened while I've been driving - fast or slow; totally random! It doesn't effect the exterior lights at all. Any help or opinions you can give me I'd really appreciate!
Thanks....

Old 02-06-2011, 06:45 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

XJag, when you say the lights are flashing, is it at a fixed rate (kinda like your turn signals) or is it a completely random pattern? That will help me narrow down where your problem most likely is.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:11 AM

i think it's a problem with alternator.
one year ago i've got the same problem

Last edited by strawinski; 02-06-2011 at 08:14 AM.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:38 AM
Default flashing lights

Originally Posted by Thermo
XJag, when you say the lights are flashing, is it at a fixed rate (kinda like your turn signals) or is it a completely random pattern? That will help me narrow down where your problem most likely is.
I would say it is a fixed rate. There may be a pause or two while this is happening but yes - fixed rate. Thanks for your help!

Old 02-06-2011, 01:53 PM
Veteran member

XJag, when you say fixed rate, is it at about the pace of your turn signals or is it a faster paced flicker (kinda like what an incandescent bulb would do when on a dimmer that is turned way down). I'm trying to get a feeling for just how fast this is flashing.

Looking at the drawings, the next time this happens, I want you to turn on your passenger side map light. Does this light flicker too? If yes, then you have an alternator issue (write me and I will help you figure that out). If the map light is on constant, odds are your dimmer module inside the headlight switch is starting to die and you will need to get a new headlight switch.

I am assuming that this only occurs when you have the headlights on (ie, the headlight switch not in the OFF position). If this is not the case, then let me know, as this can change things dramatically.

Old 02-06-2011, 03:17 PM

Chris - You're correct this only happens when the headlights are on. I believe the rate is very much like the turning signal. I'm nearly positive I turned on the map light when this last happened and it did not blink/flash. *Think* isn't good enough obviously so the next time it happens I will make sure of everything we've discussed and let you know. Who knows when it'll occur again - could be tomorrow, could be a week from now but you'll be the first to know.
I just thought of this and maybe it's related....I leave my headlights on "auto" which I was under the impression this would give me daytime driving lights and obviously automatically come one, or stay on, in darkness. Daytime lights are not on 98% of the time -- but the lights do come on when it becomes dark outside. Does that sway your opinon?

Old 02-06-2011, 08:07 PM
Veteran member

XJag, assuming that you are correct and the map lights do not flash with the rest of the lights, I would be venturing to guess that you have an internal failure of your GEM module and that is feeding your interior light issue. You may want to also try turning on your turn signal the next time this happens to confirm the same blink rate. If they do blink together, then that pretty much confirms a bad GEM module. the only other possibility is a wiring issue, but that would only happen when you have the turn signals on.

Hopefully this gives you some insight to what is happening. Keep in mind that the turn signals are also controlled by the GEM module. So, anything wrong inside the GEM module can lead to some "interesting" failures.