X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

jag transms.oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 01:17 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow! Thanks Dell, That helps me feel alot more confident about the job to be done.

Old 04-14-2018, 03:36 AM
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Dell Gailey
Automatic pics attached =

Jaguar X type transmission drain plug and plug NOT TO TOUCH
Hey Dell...I just noticed something that needs clearing up...when you posted this pic I was under the assumption where you marked "DRAIN PLUG" was the tranny drain plug (which I am sure is 100% correct) but then you labeled the other one "NOT THIS" and I assumed from my question the "NOT THIS" bolt was the dreaded reverse band bold?

However I was reading through another thread of yours and the one you labeled "NOT THIS" in this thread, you labeled as the "transmission fluid level check" in another thread. I will attach your own photo you used.

So my question is: What is it? The reverse bolt or the fluid level check bolt?

peace out,
daddylogan

Attached Thumbnails jag transms.oil-screenshot_2017_06_18_12_30_17_1_4f3f8724c6fca01c449f661cc6ea98f0c9f6bc00.jpg  
Old 04-14-2018, 04:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 709 Likes on 634 Posts

Fluid check valve, refer above in thread where the reverse bolt is, described and pictures. Here's why I think it gets mistaken for level plug. Again this is just MY thought process. If you wanted to check fluid level, would it not sorta make sense it would be the highest (or higher) removable plug? Bingo! The reverse plug is higher up. Look at the dissected transmission picture where he's replacing the bolt to hold the reverse band.

Old 04-14-2018, 04:07 AM
Veteran Member

Kinda think about a "normal" differential (not ours). Drain plug on bottom, fill & level plug higher up.

Old 04-14-2018, 04:26 AM
Veteran Member

Here is a couple of excerpts pictures from the attached pdf.
Note the term fluid check TUBE. So again my thinking. The internals of the transmission have a TUBE that is at the correct height for full transmission. When it hits that height internally it flows into the pipe and drops down to the check outlet. THUS why the Jaguar procedure is so involved with correct temperature, etc. Because filling with cold fluid until it ran out, once heated and expanded in a closed (sealed) system would not be great. There again counter to so called normal thinking of check level plug would be the highest removable one (but IS NOT).

Note how this is the same shape metal plate in the photo I posted

And here is the entire procedure =
https://redirect.viglink.com/?format...type_Fluid.pdf

Old 04-14-2018, 04:32 AM
Veteran Member

One last comment, lol. So why is fluid temperature so critical? Above cold fluid to fill tube explained.

To hot when it comes out? It overflowed because too hot, & now you close it up & you're low on fluid with no dipstick ('cuz it's stinking a sealed fraking system). :-) :-) :-)

Old 04-14-2018, 02:13 PM
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Ok Dell....I finally think I have it down now. This gets really confusing to those of us learning to either DIY or pass the information onto the mechanic. Anyhow I saw the other picture you posted now (I must have skipped by it) and that is a pic of the automatic tranny, right? And if my eyes are seeing correctly the hose that passes by the reverse band bold leads "down" to the level check plug so they both are in the same general area but as you said, the logic is reversed - the higher bolt one would think is a level check but it is actually the lower one with the tube and that red housing by it.

Thank you much brother - it feels good to finally know this 100%

peace out,
daddylogan

Attached Thumbnails jag transms.oil-reverse-band-bolt-confirmed.jpg  
Old 04-14-2018, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member

Automatic yes. And you've got it, it's counterintuitive.

Old 05-23-2018, 07:03 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Can a Jag dealer reflash the computer

Hello,

I have discovered that somehow my car's 04 X-Type 3.0 computer was changed.

When attached to a code reader it says that the vin # is different than my vin # . It says it is a 05 and mine is an 04.

I believe this is a big reason my car has so many error codes. My friend master mechanic said he believes the computer is look for certain data to be sent back that is not on my car. My car is different because it is almost totally base no options.

I am hoping that a dealer can flash it with the correct software for my vin.

Old 05-23-2018, 01:07 PM

Hi Majorami,

They may move this to a new thread since it does not deal with the topic of transmission oil. However, you may find this useful...

I have read several posts on fixing the ECU issues. I believe some of those do say go to your dealer. If I remember right there is a charge of $100ish depending on the dealer. Please do not quote me on the price.

To find them go to the top area of your screen and click on the (X400) you will see in the Photo below. From there you will see a black box that says search this forum. click on that and type in ECU flash. That should bring up something for you. I hope this helps.

Old 05-25-2018, 05:07 AM
Default Update on ECM flash

Hello all,

I found out yesterday that due to the fact that my car does not have its original ECM I cant by a after market and the only option I have is to go to a Jag dealer and pay 2500.00 to have them replace and program a new ECM. I have decided to throw in the towel and to put the car on a junkyard auction sight here in Michigan. My feeling are I did everything to bless that car and it never came to the point of being a good car. I cant drive a vehicle that I don't know if I will make the trip. Time to get back in a US built car. My personal feeling are that I don't want any car manufacture to control whether I go or stop. That is my business I will determine when repair will be made not Jaguar. If it is running I don't care if it misses once in a while. When the misfires get to the point I feel a repair is needed I will schedule the repair to my life and not sit on the side of the freeway looking like a jerk waiting to reset a limp mode.

Old 05-25-2018, 12:12 PM

Sorry to hear you are throwing in the towel. I can tell you I loved my first xtype so much even with its minor problems, I bought two more. As for the ECM. As for the computer, I know you can buy the exact year type from any number of dealers on car-part.com. Make sure it is from the same year and model. There is even a Part number I would look at. They are running between $100 and $200. Much less than the dealer's price to re-program.

Old 05-25-2018, 04:10 PM
Veteran Member

What do these (this) discussion have to do with changing oil?

Old 05-29-2018, 05:19 AM

Hello Ddsand,

the first problem I have is I don't know what the correct part # should be I probability can get it from Jag parts. The question I have for anyone that can answer is if I was to get a ECM through the Junk yards will the fact that it doesn't have the correct vin make it read properly or does the association of the junk yard car play in. Meaning does the ECM code link to BCM and the like? The BCM would have its own associations as well. The correct part # ECM would not be linked and the same issues would prev-ale. Please let me know if I am wrong on the above. In a past experience with US autos flood vehicles I had to replace ECM and BCM had to go to the dealer and have them linked and associated with all other modules.

Old 05-29-2018, 05:26 AM

To continue all I want is to be able to drive some place and not have limp mode experience it is also danger est to have the car go limp in heavy traffic on freeway. So fare in this car I have changed the throttle body, Oxygen sensor, lower ball joints, coolant pipe, radio, and windshield. I don't want to throw money after bad.

Old 05-29-2018, 04:26 PM
Veteran Member

@Majorami = again what are these posts to do with CHANGING TRANSMISSION FLUID??? You're mucking up the thread with inane b.s.