Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar X-Type 3.0L Manual 2003 Model

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 08:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar X-Type 3.0L Manual 2003 Model

Hi There,

I am new to this site and hoping to get a second opinion on my car. I have a Jaguar X-type 3.0L Petrol Manual 2003 Model. It was a driving beautifully. But recently i went on a overseas trip for 5 weeks. After i came back it wouldn't start, then i went and replaced a battery. After replacing the battery, my radiator fan amplifier blew. I replaced the whole module ( Radiator Fan Assembly ). I picked up my car on friday and when i was driving i couldn't rev it up more than 3000 RPM's. I rang my mechanic straight away, he said when replacing the Radiator fan assembly, he has to pull the battery out and that is why the car went in to Valet mode.

I took my car to the mechanics today. My mechanic did everything mentioned on google forums to get it out of valet mode.None of them actually worked. He hooked his computer to my car and started it. We can rev it up to 6000rpm's. Then when we disconnect the computer, it dropped again. We cannot rev it more than 3000 rpm's.

He thought it might be a Clust Switch and checked it, but that wasn't the case. Finally, he hooked one of those meters to the battery and reved the car up, he said the battery level was more that 15 ( I am not so technical here, but he hooked one of those machines which gives him a number),He said that my battery it is getting more power and it will eventually damage all the electrical s in the car. He said i need to replace an alternator.

I want to get a second opinion because the worst thing would be that we go ahead and replace the alternator and it doesn't fixes it. Any advice would be a great help. I need a second opinion in replacing my alternator because the worst thing would be that i replace it and it wouldn't fix the problem. Waiting for responses. Thanks in advance guys.

Regards,

Vee Kay

Old 04-16-2012, 08:15 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Vee kay, before replacing the alternator, I would be looking at the field lead going to the alternator and making sure that it is down at a low voltage. The field wire directly affects the output voltage. If the voltage is up high, then you have a problem outside of the alternator. If the voltage is low, then then problem is internal to the alternator. Your mechanic should be able to do this check really quickly. It is unusual for an alternator to go out in our cars. That is just something that we have seen. NOt saying that it can't go out, normally that is not the case.

P.S. Welcome to the forums. I think you will find that there is a lot of very useful information here and we strive to make this a very friendly place. Do not forget to stop by the New Member section and drop off a note there too. You will find us a friendly bunch and we like to get to know each other and have a good time.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:06 PM
Default Jaguar X-Type 2003 3.0L

Hi Thermo,

Thanks for your reply, I will sure ask him to check that before we go ahead and change the alternator. My car was out of the valet mode last night, i took it back to him and he said there was a broken wire which is causing the issue. Thank you for your reply and i will post the outcome.

Regards,

Vee kay

Old 05-04-2014, 07:31 AM

my baby wont accelerate and has a rough idle. help

Old 05-04-2014, 09:41 AM
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by flyguychrisw
my baby wont accelerate and has a rough idle. help
What is this??? This thread is talking about an alternator. Your "it's broken fix it for me" question doesn't belong here and you give no information that will allow anyone to help you. You've got to do better.