X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar X Type ECU Replacement Options

Old 01-08-2018, 11:10 PM
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Jaguar X Type ECU Replacement Options

There are many threads dealing with ECU aka ECM replacement so I thought I would take some time and try to consolidate what I have learned during my quest in finding the best option for replacing the ECU on my 2002 X Type.

You MUST have the Part No. of your current ECU in order to obtain a workable replacement. You MUST replace like for like, period. The Part No. is located on the end of the ECU (which will be covered up by the mounting bracket – of course). See photo below of Part No. location.

Jaguar X Type ECU Replacement Options-ecu_w_bracket.jpg

Jaguar X Type ECU Replacement Options-wp_20171217_001a.jpg

There are 4 small detents on the bottom of the ECU (2 for the upper mounting bracket/2 for the lower mounting bracket) where the mounting bracket plastic cover tabs fit into the ECU. Simply pry carefully up on each side corner of the plastic mounting bracket to free the plastic tabs from the detents in the ECU and slide the bracket off.

Jaguar X Type ECU Replacement Options-ecu_detents.jpg

The ECU is located behind the glove box. There is a very good You-Tube video on how to remove the ECU.

Purchase Options (In Order of Cost):

1) Purchase a new OEM unit from Dealer or Authorized Reseller- $1200+
2) Purchase a rebuilt/remanufactured unit - $500-$800
3) Send ECU off for troubleshooting & repair - $250-$350 (See Other Notes Below)
4) Buy a used ECU online or local scrap yard - $50-?????
5) Buy a used ECU, instrument cluster, and key fob transponder ALL FROM THE SAME DONOR VEHICLE. This will eliminate the need to reprogram the replacement ECU. - $150-$???......There is an excellent You-tube video on how to perform this package replacement. (See video ref. above)

Purchase options 1-4 require the new (to you) ECU to be reprogrammed for you car.

Reprogramming Options:

1) Dealer (IF you do not chose Purchase Option #1, this may not be an option for you) - $300-$600
2) Local shop – If they have the equipment. Expect to pay around $200-$400
3) Send off for reprogramming to a vendor - $150-???........IF you chose this option, you MUST send the replacement ECU, your car’s instrument cluster and key fob with transponder!!! They may ask for more than this, but these three items are the minimum. If you sent your ECU off for repair but they were not able to fix it, and you elected to buy a rebuild/remanf unit, you will need to send the instrument cluster and key fob with transponder to them if you want them to reprogram the replacement unit to work in your car when you get it back.

ECU Shipping:

Your ECU WILL NOT fit into a USPS flat rate small box. The ECU is too wide to close the box properly.

Other Notes:

I do not believe there are any reasonably priced software packages on the internet that will allow you to reprogram the Jaguar ECU security items yourself. I looked at several packages that would read/write to the ECU, but these were all tuning and performance related packages. I did not find anywhere they claim to access the entire ECU and all its functions. I read several posts where folks tried to use some of these after-market packages to reprogram their replacement ECU and they ended up “bricking” their cars.

I have read that some folks may have been lucky enough to not need their replacement ECU reprogrammed for their cars when they got a used replacement ECU. I would guess that you would have to be extremely lucky for this to happen, due to the Security features.

If you send your ECU to a vendor for repair/replacement look closely at their pricing structure. With the price of a rebuilt/remanf unit typically costing twice as much as a repair fee, there may be a strong incentive for the vendor to find your ECU beyond repair and in need of rebuild/remanf. I am not accusing ANY vendor of doing this, I simply state the obvious….. Also make sure that you can separate the troubleshooting fee from any other fees. In this way you can have them simply return your ECU to you if it is beyond repair and you can purchase a used one, if that is what you wish to do.

I would STRONGLY recommend that you have your vehicle checked by a quality shop after you replace the ECU using Reprogramming Option #3 to ensure that your ECU is doing its job properly. If you use Reprogramming Option #2, ensure the shop checks the ECU’s performance in your car after reprogramming.

Some Online ECU Repair/Replacement web pages I found:

AES Modules | Rebuilt & Reman Control Modules
Specialized ECU Repair, Replacement, & Testing - Restore or Exchange your Electronic Control Unit (ECU)
Rebuilt ECM & TCMs w/ 5 yr warranty - 800 241 6689
My Auto Solutions Buford Ga | Remanufactured Parts | Rebuilt Car Electronics
https://moduleexperts.com/

Others probably can add to this thread or have better ideas. But, his is what I learned over several weeks of research into the subject.

The following 5 users liked this post by PanamaJag:
avern1 (01-09-2018), MoP (01-11-2020), rakesh (03-29-2019), TGraves (05-20-2023), wa3ra (01-10-2018)
Old 03-29-2019, 05:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry but u dont have to pair gem too since its the security module ?

I might have to go this way if i bricked my car, after i change faulty can/scp harness

Old 03-30-2019, 03:23 PM
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

I am pretty sure BCM is programmed too.

Old 03-30-2019, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

@car5 = really? How did you arrive at that gem of advice?

Old 03-30-2019, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Dell Gailey
@car5 = really? How did you arrive at that gem of advice?
I answered question in previous post. Was I wrong? I am not a Jaguar mechanic, I can be wrong.

Old 03-30-2019, 08:03 PM
Veteran Member

I find it best if you DO NOT know the correct information, to not shoot your mouth off cluttering up the forum and misleading people now and in the future looking for help.

Old 03-31-2019, 01:43 PM

deleted

Last edited by car5car; 03-31-2019 at 03:22 PM.
Old 11-20-2019, 06:14 AM

Hi,

I was wonder if I can change or if is worth change my ECU on X Type 09.2003 model, 2 L diesel version.

I have changed the engine from a 2006 model, and I have ECU, key and odometer. My main issue is that I hardly find a diagnose to connect to original ECU (I have tried with 2 Delphi, Texa, ELM327 bluetooth, only with Bosch KTS i managed to read some info). Or, should I try an ECU resoft? How can be this done?

From what I checked on various diagnose programs, they work for Diesel since 2005 and up.

I see that JRL Mongoose should work with X type (not very sure that work with my version). Can I code key's or write injector code on ECU with this diagnose program? Also I have P2336 error and if I buy that diagnose I wish to use to change faulty injector.

Thank you for the info

Old 01-11-2020, 08:05 AM
MoP
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have managed to download (via this forum) a working copy of JLR (Jaguar Land Rover) SDD software version 1.30 and purchased a Mongoose (probably a copy but it works flawlessly) cable off eBay for about Ł45. With this setup we have access to the full dealer level programming and can program all modules and replacements ourselves, it’s really not that difficult. The software runs as a Windows XP Virtual Machine (VM) on my Windows 10 laptop absolutely with no issues.

I am yet to try replacing an ECU but watch this space because I think I might have to in the near future

see links below:

This is the Mongoose adapter I bought off EBay from a guy in Denmark, throw the software he supplies away (it’s a hack) but the adapter itself is brilliant. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F113379247444

This is the link and instructions to the JLR SDD software, as far as I can gather, version 1.30 is the best for x-types for various reasons. https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...WZu0WPnOcUqwEJ

it turns out that power is a serious issue when programming modules, I would recommend keeping your laptop plugged in at all times and also ensuring the car is on a decent power supply (jumpered or a good charger)

Hope this is helpful

Old 01-13-2020, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by MoP
I have managed to download (via this forum) a working copy of JLR (Jaguar Land Rover) SDD software version 1.30 and purchased a Mongoose (probably a copy but it works flawlessly) cable off eBay for about Ł45. With this setup we have access to the full dealer level programming and can program all modules and replacements ourselves, it’s really not that difficult. The software runs as a Windows XP Virtual Machine (VM) on my Windows 10 laptop absolutely with no issues.

I am yet to try replacing an ECU but watch this space because I think I might have to in the near future

see links below:

This is the Mongoose adapter I bought off EBay from a guy in Denmark, throw the software he supplies away (it’s a hack) but the adapter itself is brilliant. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F113379247444

This is the link and instructions to the JLR SDD software, as far as I can gather, version 1.30 is the best for x-types for various reasons. https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...WZu0WPnOcUqwEJ

it turns out that power is a serious issue when programming modules, I would recommend keeping your laptop plugged in at all times and also ensuring the car is on a decent power supply (jumpered or a good charger)

Hope this is helpful
Do you know how du pair the key with clusterpanel with this setup?

Old 01-13-2020, 07:34 PM
MoP
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’ve done it on mine, You need to have 2 keys (and transponders) available. For some reason it won’t allow you to pair one key. It’s very straightforward, basically just follow the step by step instructions on the screen.

Old 01-13-2020, 07:38 PM

Okey that sounds good but I only have one key 😔

Old 01-13-2020, 07:46 PM
Veteran Member

CANNOT do it with 1 key

Old 01-13-2020, 07:46 PM

Just ordered another one. Thank you guys

Old 01-13-2020, 07:55 PM
Veteran Member

So let's be clear, simply ordering another (unprogrammed) key isn't the answer.

Jaguar Key Fob 2001 to 2009 User Manual | Key Cutting Machine

Old 01-13-2020, 08:10 PM

You just said I cant program the key if I only have one key?

Old 01-14-2020, 01:02 AM
Veteran Member

Read the link

There are potentially two programming options here. A do it yourself approach that requires that you have your two original keys (or two working keys) and thus allows you to only add an additional key or up to 3 more additional keys (max 5 keys) OR having the Jaguar Dealer use their IDS system to program all the keys (max 8 keys).

Be aware that some remote fobs sold on web do not have a transponder chip in them and they will typically tell you that there is no chip in their listing. Assure you purchase the correct MHZ (433 vs. 315) for your country.

Jaguar Dealer IDS approach:
With the Jaguar IDS system ALL keys that will start the car will need to have their transponders programmed to the car at the same time including the “valet” key (which is a regular metal key with a built-in transponder chip that does not have remote buttons/functions) and along with the new key fob.

Last edited by Dell Gailey; 01-14-2020 at 01:15 AM.
Old 04-06-2023, 02:55 PM

Hallo all,
My 2003 Jagur petrol x-type 2.5 6v executive car needs a new ECU kit. So I would like to purchase a used ECU kit, used instrument cluster and key fob transponder ALL FROM THE SAME DONOR VEHICLE.
The question is: does the donor vehicle have to be 2.5 petrol or can I buy a complete kit from a diesel x-type as well? If I have to buy a used kit (used ECU, instrument cluster, and key fob transponder) only from x-type 2.5 petrol, can I get it from a different year, for example from a 2009 car model ?
thanks

Old 04-06-2023, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member

@xtype2500 read the first post in this thread, the answer is there, that's why READING threads in important...

The following users liked this post:
Yorta2 (04-06-2023)
Old 04-07-2023, 12:33 AM

Thanks for your answer. I red the post and as I understand, I can buy any kit ifor this option. 5) Buy a used ECU, instrument cluster, and key fob transponder ALL FROM THE SAME DONOR VEHICLE. This will eliminate the need to reprogram the replacement ECU. Etc etc
It seems to me that I must buy the same part no., just if I think to reprogram the used ECU. If I will find a complete kit (three staff) from a use vehicle, I don't need to look at part number.
Is it wrong ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Jaguar X Type ECU Replacement Options