X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar XS

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 09:58 AM
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Jaguar XS

Anyone else share my crazy excitement about the next generation entry level Jaguar? I've seen a lot of chatter online about it recently, and I'm quite excited. We all love our Xs, but this is pretty neat and I hope to be in line to buy one when they arrive. Have any of our British friends seen other reports/news?

Here are just a few recent articles on what they're calling the Jaguar XS.

New Jaguar XS: all you need to know | Carbuyer

2016 Jaguar XS Spied in United Kingdom

Old 02-27-2014, 10:13 AM
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Oh yea, that's a sweet car. That's funny, XS is what I named my x-type garage on here without knowing it was a real car name. That's a cool looking ride. It looks nice.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts

Sorry not to share in the enthusiasm, but it looks like another cobbled together Ian Callum design. Could be an Audi, could be Kia. Who knows? Can we get some resemblance of a fluted bonnet and maybe a round headlamp?

On the bright side, and within the context of current generic Jaguar styling, this car does seem to posses some more interesting aspects than the XF.

We shall see

Old 02-27-2014, 12:22 PM
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
Old 02-27-2014, 01:18 PM
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Andahaion
Anyone else share my crazy excitement about the next generation entry level Jaguar? I've seen a lot of chatter online about it recently, and I'm quite excited. We all love our Xs, but this is pretty neat and I hope to be in line to buy one when they arrive. Have any of our British friends seen other reports/news?

Here are just a few recent articles on what they're calling the Jaguar XS.

New Jaguar XS: all you need to know | Carbuyer

2016 Jaguar XS Spied in United Kingdom
I've been very excited for this car too. However, I might have to get something else for a couple years to hold me over as I don't intend to keep my '05 much longer.

What's with that rear window overhang in the second link? I hope that doesn't make it to the production version or it may take some getting used to...

Old 02-27-2014, 01:26 PM
Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

I just hope they make the coupe version. Entry level jag coupe (meaning one I could afford relatively soon) would be awesome, I just hope it at least has a manual trans as an option though, with the proper 3 pedals.

Old 02-27-2014, 01:28 PM

Yeah good call on the coupe version, I would be very interested in one of those too.

I think we can pretty much rule out a proper manual though seeing as how the new F-Type doesn't even offer that.

Old 02-27-2014, 01:30 PM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Justink201
I just hope they make the coupe version. Entry level jag coupe (meaning one I could afford relatively soon) would be awesome, I just hope it at least has a manual trans as an option though, with the proper 3 pedals.
^^^ THIS!

well, at least the manual tranny with three proper pedal part
The sales guy at the non-Jaguar dealership where I found my X-Type shared in my comments about the lack of manual offerings on the market. He obviously had a vested interest in the primary make he sold, but he lamented the loss of the manual in at least the entry-level Lexus and felt like it hurt some sales (but not enough that corporate would ever pay attention).

In other words...we are not alone out there...

Old 02-27-2014, 01:36 PM
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

I do not know what is the plan for the US market

The " normal" XF Sportbrake is only available with option of three engines - all diesel.

Now the R version !!!! but a bit expensive.

Jaguar XFR-S Sportbrake (2014) first official pictures | Automotive & Motoring News | Car Magazine Online

Will there be a petrol version of the XS ?
For personal tax reasons, the business community wants diesels.

A few days I did a basic search for late X types £5000 upwards.
Results were 530 diesels and 35 petrol for sale.

Old 02-27-2014, 01:40 PM
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by emaraszek
I've been very excited for this car too. However, I might have to get something else for a couple years to hold me over as I don't intend to keep my '05 much longer.

What's with that rear window overhang in the second link? I hope that doesn't make it to the production version or it may take some getting used to...
I wouldn't think that rear window is a final version trait, though I noticed it also. From what I've seen, cars with all that pre-release camo usually change a bit when formally introduced.

It's funny what you say about your '05, as I've been thinking the same. I was looking at XFs and projecting out when I could afford one that's a few years old. I really like the 2012 body style. But now that the XS is a reality I think I can hold off a bit longer as I am hoping to buy one new. I seem to fit right in the market this car is being built for, hence my excitement. A new XF is a bit of a stretch. Fortunately, I only drive about 7,500 miles/year so I'll still be well under 100K when the XS arrives and can hopefully get good value on a private sale. That's the plan anyway, and what could go wrong with my most excellent plan over the next 1.5-2ish years??

Old 02-27-2014, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Andahaion
I wouldn't think that rear window is a final version trait, though I noticed it also. From what I've seen, cars with all that pre-release camo usually change a bit when formally introduced.

It's funny what you say about your '05, as I've been thinking the same. I was looking at XFs and projecting out when I could afford one that's a few years old. I really like the 2012 body style. But now that the XS is a reality I think I can hold off a bit longer as I am hoping to buy one new. I seem to fit right in the market this car is being built for, hence my excitement. A new XF is a bit of a stretch. Fortunately, I only drive about 7,500 miles/year so I'll still be well under 100K when the XS arrives and can hopefully get good value on a private sale. That's the plan anyway, and what could go wrong with my most excellent plan over the next 1.5-2ish years??
If I had an '06-'07 I'd probably hold out for the XS as a direct replacement. But as I check KBB and see my resale value take a hit each year, I plan on this being my last winter with the X-Type. Not to mention the warranty on my transmission expires in May as well, so I'd like to sell it before then.

I've been looking at the Infiniti Q50 AWD as a possible replacement, likely for a 2-year lease. It's no Jaguar by far, but at least they haven't switched it to an i4 like the Germans all do now. The Q50 may serve as my graduation present to myself lol

Old 02-27-2014, 03:39 PM
Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

I've read in places that they might have a turbo 4 gas engine as one of the engines in the XS. They could also put the supercharged V6 they have in it. I have a feeling they wont bring the diesel version to the US, but I bet we get the R version. They said something about a estate too so that would also be nice.

I've also read they might have a proper 6 speed manual in the F-type coupe so who knows.

Old 02-27-2014, 04:30 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I've been following the XS closely. Excited to see what it will actually look like (not the test mule.) I've seen some concept sketchs of it. Looks sleek.

I hope this car can compete with the new M235i, because that's the only other car on the market right now that has got me excited.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:14 PM
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

I am very excited to see how this turns out, though I really don't worry about the styling with Callum at the helm. I love my XF but ideally I'd rather have a car of this size, plus with the same powertrain and a significant weight advantage over the XF I think this will be a really fun car to drive. The logical engines will be the new "hot fire" designed in house, the 3.0L SC V6 and maybe the 5.0L for an R version if it'll fit.