X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Judder when not under "Workload"

Old 07-06-2017, 02:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Judder when not under "Workload"

2.0D Engine 2006.
When the engine is doing no work, i.e it reaches the constant speed on a flat road, I get a judder. A stutter might be a better word lol.
If I am accelerating, or going up hill at a constant speed (On CC) there is no judder at all.
There is no clunkety clunk like a CV joint going. There are no other mechanical noises whatsoever, the drive is perfect, with a lovely silent(ish) engine. Manual Gearbox is smooth also.

I've convinced myself it is a fuel issue, possibly on the return loop. Based on the fact that at the point of "No more fuel needed" it starts to judder.
I've experimented with air-con off/on, and putting just about all the electricals on, to see if it was a battery issue. No difference.

Car has had new clutch within last 3 months.
In normal town driving, this problem does not show, because there is always something to change gear for, or brake/accelerate etc. Previous owner was 99% town/city driving. Unfortunately I do a lot of overnight motorway/freeway so this problem is a bit of a pain in TA when I want CC on for long periods....well, any period.

So, am I correct re. fuel issue? What to check?
What else could it be?

Old 07-07-2017, 01:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

Try some of this, just for giggles to rule out turbo sticking =

http://www.innotecworld.com/products...aign=referrals

Old 07-07-2017, 05:43 PM

Not ruling it out, but turbo is fine in other circumstances. If I floor the pedal, she's off!

One thing I noticed in the past two days.....I've been staying at a motorway services hotel.........so 2 minutes after car start I was at 60mph or 70 on Cruise C. No judder on a cold engine.
When temp gauge got to about half way to normal, judder. What kind of coldstart system does the jag have?
I'm still convinced it's fuel or air based.

Old 06-09-2018, 08:40 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi oldshape, I have exactly the same problem. Have you managed to sort it out? Or anyone else? Thanks.

Old 06-09-2018, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by firat
Hi oldshape, I have exactly the same problem. Have you managed to sort it out? Or anyone else? Thanks.
hi. Yes, I sorted it out enough to be not an issue.
It is the EGR valve and associated pipework, and turbo......clogged up with diesal gunge. I cleaned out as much as i could without full dismantle. I used carb cleaner. Lots of it.

Old 06-09-2018, 09:06 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you very much for your lightning fast response! I'm glad you solved it.

I had my engine rebuilt 2 months ago. The EGR cooler was damaged and pumping water into the engine. Even with loads of water in the cylinders the car was running immaculate but had starting problems.
The stutter and low mileage (12l/100km or 24MPG) started after the repairs. I had the injectors rebuilt, didn't solve the issue.

I'll follow your path and start with cleaning the intake manifold and fitting an oil catch tank. Then I'll look into the turbo since it costs an arm and leg here in Istanbul.

I'll update this post as I take steps. Thanks again, oldshape.