X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just need a little help with modifications

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 08:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just need a little help with modifications

Hi, for those of you who know me, you know that I’ve been trying to fix up my x-type. However, I don’t want to make impulsive buys and regret it. I’ve done it way to much in the past and therefore would like some help deciding on a few items. Im going to post pics up when this snow is gone of all the work I have done so far.

First is the Borla exhaust - It seems that it just comes with the back tips. It says it adds hp though. Is it worthed or is there a place where I can get the full catback system? I was looking at the Arden exhaust but its just a little 2 much for me when jagxp says that they put out the same hp. Also are there any other exhausts you might recommend?

Next is the Arden ECU chip. I heard rumors and on car domain i saw a few cars that said they had it, and that it increased the hp by 35. Is this a real item cause i am having issues finding a place to purchase it, i saw it on the Arden sight but they didn’t have a purchase area for the chip. Does anybody have any insight on this item?

My rims, i am getting those in a few weeks. I have found a set of 20's chrome that were on an x-type already, but will they rub and give me issues or will i be fine, he said they will be fine, but then again he just wants them sold. I also found 18"s for half the price that are black with a chrome lip. My car is ebony so what do you think would be nicer.

I did not know where the best place to post this is, so if I did it in the wrong area sorry for offending anybody I will gladly move it if need be. I just don’t want 2 drop some serious cash and then regret it.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi,
1. Borla exhaust (mufflers only) will give you a deep tone....much better sound then stock. But if you want a true dual exhaust, take it to a speed shop that does custom exhaust work. Stainless steel is the way to go. That will give you a better sound, free up some hidden hp too.

I had the borla muffers before i did the exhaust work. Can't say i noticed any hp gains with mufflers. Got about 25 with full exhaust.

2. Arden ECU chip, they don't sell you the ECU, you have to mail in yours, they tweak it and mail you back yours. Takes just a few days. Yes they are the real deal.
However, i would do some intake work (port it) that will give you an additional 5-8 hp

3. 20 inch rims will not work. No matter how hard you try. Plus it looks getto as hell. Biggest rims you can put on safely is 19. I would stick with 18. No rubbing or fender work required.

Good luck!

Old 02-10-2009, 09:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car22.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  16.5 KB

Hey Mac, take it from a guy who knows. This guy got his X up tp around 300bhp wasn't it racer?

Re the rims....plenty of guys on here with 18's and pretty much no issues, some with 19's some of who have had issues and some not......20's???? Wouldn't recommend it.

Good luck with whatever you decide and lookin forward to the pics

Old 02-10-2009, 09:41 PM

2nd on the 18's. i just put a set on my X-Type and they look awesome. just enough rim and tire to fill the wheel well and still drive nice

Old 02-10-2009, 09:49 PM

ahah thanks guys that is awsome advice. Good thing i did not go with the 20"s . Yea i saw 22's on a jag it was gross.

Yea i def agree with the intake, i know a guy selling one, but if you guys have any good websites that sell them, that might be better.

Sending my chip sounds sweet. How do i go about doing that? Do i just call them? Also if i do send it, is the car undrivable without the chip in it? So saying it takes 8 days, does that mean i shouldnt drive it for 8 days? ( haha my buddy said it wont drive, but thats ok i can use my dads car until i get it back.

The exhaust idea is a good idea as well. Any speed shop would be fine or is there a certain one that is better. I am in the Jersey area.

thanks for all your help.

Last edited by KUrtyMAc; 02-10-2009 at 09:57 PM.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:57 PM
Veteran Member

Hey Jimbo! How you been bud!
Yeah had my baby up to the sweet 300 hp....that was fun! And scary...always had a fear the transfer case would go KA-BOOOOOOOM and more $$ would have to be sunk into the titanic....

Yes, the car will be dead in the water if you mail them your ECU. The reason you have to mail in yours is because Jag has this thing with encoding all the electronic bs with a code...and if the code does not match it locks your car out. Total Bs if you ask me. When Arden upgrades your ECU, the code says the same, just different settings in timing and fuel curves.

Anyway....yes, look up Arden...send them a quick email, and they will respond usually in 24 hrs with the address and payment instructions. They are great. No worries with them.

I'm in jersey too, but i took my car to a shop in Philly...can't remember the dang name of it...right over in bristol PA....i'll see if i can dig the name up.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:10 PM

ahah that would be great buddy. Yea im going to get right on all this. I want to fix up this baby. If you dont mind me asking, what did you ahve on your car to have it up to 300hp? Right now i have not done to much. I baught the arden front lip and the sport rear. Not going on till the end of winter though. tinted the windows, but jersey doesnt allow me to do the front i wish i could but i really dont want extra payments for tickets ahah. I have the front and lower mesh grill put on. Im a little worried about voiding my warrenty, but my dad has been working with Madison jag for over 40 years now, and i think he could help me out with having no issues . Oh i am also picking up the 18"s next week the black and chrome lip should look hot the x. Its awsome cause it comes with 5 rims, just in case one bends.

Last edited by KUrtyMAc; 02-10-2009 at 10:17 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:05 PM
Veteran Member

Lets see...i had a turbo installed, (compression was lowered) full exhaust, mazda computer, bigger injectors, port and polished intake and throttle body, and lots of testing modifying and cash! Was not worth it IMO

Old 02-11-2009, 08:20 PM

oh wow that is a lot haha, it must have been very expensive. I did not even know you could fit a turbo in an x.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:54 PM
Veteran Member

;-) there's one out there!

Old 02-11-2009, 09:35 PM

only if i can get myself one of those! haha

Old 02-11-2009, 10:20 PM

hey guys i found a supercharger for the x-type is this the real deal or junk? Its pretty cheap so i dont know if its good, whats your insight. Def you racerx im sure you could help me with this. I dont know if its the actual supercharger or something else, but its under superchargers i was looking at the first one.

http://www.yourhotcar.com/product/li...Superchargers/

Last edited by KUrtyMAc; 02-11-2009 at 10:31 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am trying to view the product from my mobile phone while sitting in an airport..... but it LOOKS like an electrically driven compressor.... a fan, basically. it claims it'll do 1 PSI. I see what looks to be a HP graph..... but I can't view it.first; 1psi isn't much. And the losses you'll see from the current it'll draw off the alternator will likely offset that almost completely. (without seeing the spec sheet, I'm just spitballing).is it really a supercharger? well, technically; yes. It claims to provide "boost' measureable over atmospheric pressure. General rule of thumb; if it seems too good to be true, it most likely is.that being said; it's cheap! why don't you be the first, and then let us know how it goes?

Old 02-12-2009, 06:43 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,824 Likes on 3,143 Posts

Don't waste your money on something like that. You can get more boost from using a vacuum cleaner and an inverter. If you see any gains, it will only be in the neighborhood of like 10 hp or so. Even with 6 psi of boost, you will only get in the neighborhood of say 40-50 hp gain. While that is a decent gain, you are looking at spending probably about $4000 for that. More on the expensive side if that is the only mod you are doing.

I say pass on the electric supercharger that you are seeing.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:48 AM

hahah thanks guys, yea i kind of figured that, i googled supercharger for x-type and thats all i came accross. "vacuum cleaner" That was great i need that laugh today. oh and let me be the first to try was also a good laugh also. Yea i will take your guys advice i figured a 400-500 supercharger couldnt be right. i think i will leave that part for last if i do it, but im going to the exhaust shop monday. Also my car is not the sport modle so it has the chrome trim, i heard my car would look bad with black rims, but these are black with a chrome lip do you guys think it would look good? I will post a pic up of my car tomarrow, im sure once i get the body kit on after the winter it will look a lot nicer.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member

We got a monster on our hands!

Old 02-12-2009, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car22.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  16.5 KB

YEAH.....and partly your creation i think Racer.....gonna have to use my Admin powers and rename you FRANKENSTEIN.....

I'd say deffo go for the de chromed look for sure, although I know you guys over there love the chrome look. Much cleaner n meaner IMO

Old 02-12-2009, 06:24 PM
Veteran Member

lol....hey Jimbo...i did warn the guy that all them super mods all come with a high $$$ price tag. Hope the lad can swing it. Many ah-nights i just sat and wondered (as i drank) WTF am i doing with this thing...and the more i drank the more i realized i was more thirsty then i thought!

Oh well...

Old 02-12-2009, 11:30 PM

ahhaha, very funny guys! Yea we do love the chrome over here . Hahh racerx i smy creator hahah. I have a poster in my room it says bow to racerx hahah. idk i just love my jag, but in my area i see like 30 of them a day now and i cant help but feel that i need to make mine stand out ahha. + i figured it would be cool to share with everbody in the forum all the mods i do for it. I have a race track near my house but im pretty sure my car would get owned . If i had a str id probably do better ahha.

Old 02-13-2009, 04:15 PM

ok so i went to my nearest exhaust shop. They said 700 to purchase a set of mufflers and have them installed. they said they dont recommend a full exhaust cause im looking at big cash and there is no point because the exhaust is good, and it just needs the mufflers to open it up. Does that all sound right? I feel that i might as well get the borlas and install them if thats the case. "and the more i drank the more i realized i was more thirsty then i thought! " Thats how i feel when i drink green tea ahhah

Quick Reply: Just need a little help with modifications