X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just test drove a 2004 3.0 X-Type...(first jag ride ever)

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 04:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just test drove a 2004 3.0 X-Type...(first jag ride ever)

Hi all, I won't repost my newbie story here, as its on the newbie forum, but suffice to say I am exploring getting my first Jag. Among the contenders available in town are :

an '04 X type 69K miles, which i drove today;

an 05 X Type, sport version, 45K miles;

1996 XJR-6, 112xxx miles, needs a tranny sensor;

and a 98 xj8 though its details are little more hard to come by.

So i just got back from a test drive on the '04 X-Type. very very nice!

I have no frame of reference for other Jags or even other higher performance cars, but I took it out to a curvy road by the foothill at the top of a trail head, found an empty lot, and was able to do some fast cornering and turning. I thought it did fabulous, gripped the road and held its own in the tightest configurations.

Had plenty of zing on the freeway as well. This thing picks up on command pretty well for an automatic transmission, but there is that tiny lag that comes with auto trannies. I do prefer the tactile feel of a manual.

It comes across like a very muscular, agile and firm family car, rather than a cushy, comfy sports car. I have no experience or data points to base that on, its just a feeling.

Ok, so the top of the dashboard and the door side panels are more Ford than Jag, but really: for the handling, steering, grip, comfort, ride, and exterior looks all at this price point to quibble is almost whiny. Its seems like a great gateway high performance car, with enough power and handling precision that my beginning skill level could grow into.

im rather intrigued.

I'll know more about the 05 sport version tonight. Anyone have thoughts on what to be aware of between the two of them?

Last edited by norumba; 07-17-2012 at 05:03 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:41 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

The sport version is going to handle corners better (if you can imagine), but it also comes at a slight cost of a rougher ride. Nothing that is going to shake the fillings out of your head, but when you compare the two side by side, the Sport is going to be a bit harsher. Beyond that, the two cars are then almost identical. The only difference between a sport and a standard X-Type is the 1.4" drop that comes from the factory and slightly different interior trimmings. Everything else is the same.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  19.3 KB

The Sport will have body coloured bumper blades too, so no chrome

Old 07-17-2012, 08:59 PM

thanks for the info! im going to see the '05 sport tomorrow morning....

Old 07-18-2012, 08:48 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

If the prices are anywhere near I'd recommend the '05 with fewer miles.

You can always ease up the suspension with 17" wheels/tires.

Does either one have the NAV unit? That would certainly set the cars apart!
================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons

Old 07-18-2012, 09:25 AM

Hi pab,
the '04 didnt have the SatNav; Dont know yet on the '05 but from their pics, i dont think so.

'04 has 69K miles, asking $9950.

'05 sport version, 45K, asking $11350. I can probably work either down a bit...

Old 07-18-2012, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

If the prices are that close and the condition similar there's no choice IMHO.
Bon Chance!

Old 07-18-2012, 02:11 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I'd go with the 05 sport. Only because that is what I have.....lol. On a serious note less miles for a little more is worth it to me. But also consider the over all condition of both as well. I paid 12999 with 53000 miles but interior was perfect and paint was good also. No Nav with mine either or the Homelink

Old 07-19-2012, 08:36 AM

I drove the sport yesterday... it seemed just a tiny bit less responsive than the 04; sounded different; brakes were a little squishier too. But after we finished the drive, i pointed out to the owner the "S" button ... he had no idea what it was. I said, "I think that's 'sport' mode" ..

He had to get the manual to look it up, and of course it was. "Well, I never knew that", he admitted. I didnt want to make him feel any more awkward by asking for another go around in sport mode right then and there, but I did say that if he tried it in that mode in the next day or two to call me

I probably will call him in a day or two, deposit in hand, and ask for another drive in sport mode.

His Carfax records look good, well maintained. He's got Bridgestone tires on this, the 04 had Pirellis.

the 04 vs the 05 in regular mode drove a little better, and i wonder if the the Non sport versions are a middle rorad between regular and sport modes in the other.

That said, i have them within $250 of each other, and for that small a difference, I think the lower mileage should win out.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:40 AM

I took both carfax reports to the dealership , who had done the regular maintenance work on both of these. The service manager was quite welcoming and helpful, no major issues on either of them. Only thing of note was that the 04 was overdue for its 60K mile service -- hadnt been done yet -- and the 05 sitll had about 10 or 15K miles before thats due.

so -- I've worked out very nice terms with the 2005 owner -- I put a deposit down to hold it and give me time to sell the Rav 4.

If all works out, I'll be taking this puppy home soon!

Old 07-23-2012, 04:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Good choice - and post the pics when you get it.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by norumba
If all works out, I'll be taking this puppy home soon!
Shouldn't that be 'kitten' or 'cat'?

Welcome to the world of purring Jaguars!!

Old 07-23-2012, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by astromorg
Shouldn't that be 'kitten' or 'cat'?

Welcome to the world of purring Jaguars!!
you are absolutely correct, sorry about that!

Old 08-01-2012, 01:37 PM

it has arrived
at 46,000 i got it for 10,200, the Rav 4 sold and this is now in my garage.

Had a good spin around town last night with it, with a little highway time as well -- it drives as beautifully as i remembered. Its much longer than the rAV, so im getting used to parking the boat.

Only issues it seems to have is a soft moan/squeak when having to brake in reverse, and a soft humming/buzz that lingers after you turn it off. I believe that mystery was solved on this thread so i wont worry about it too much for now.

I havent really turned on the stereo yet -- i need to learn what the car sounds like for the first day or so. I have feeling it will be the best stereo i own, in or out of the house, lol

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/m...s-jaaaag-5115/

Old 08-01-2012, 02:59 PM
pab
Veteran Member

Hey, that's my car (same color/year). I don't believe it is a Sport version since it has chrome bumper wings and the 17" cayman wheels (the wheels stink, brake dust builds up in the "channel" behind each spoke and it's really hard to keep them clean).

Does it have the Advent Audio and the NAV unit like mine?

Old 08-01-2012, 03:10 PM

Well, it has the "S" button on the transmission panel no nav unit; alpine stereo speakers, 6 CD changer in the boot, single CD player upfront....

Old 08-01-2012, 03:14 PM
pab
Veteran Member

>Well, it has the "S" button

Nope, that activates "sports shifting". It supposedly will hold the transmission in a gear longer. You know, for "sporting" purposes.

But I've never heard anyone report that it really does much...

The following users liked this post:
norumba (08-01-2012)
Old 08-01-2012, 06:54 PM

hmm... well thats a little disappointing... I thought it would do a little more than that, and it was billed as a sport in his ad. Its still a great car, though, and a better deal between the two, though i think the 04 was a bit more responsive. Ive no complaints, however and this is a fabulous first Jag!

More later... more to drive

Last edited by norumba; 08-01-2012 at 07:16 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:41 AM
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by norumba
hmm... well thats a little disappointing... I thought it would do a little more than that, and it was billed as a sport in his ad. Its still a great car, though, and a better deal between the two, though i think the 04 was a bit more responsive. Ive no complaints, however and this is a fabulous first Jag!

More later... more to drive
I have pretty much the same car as you, except it's a black VDP without the CD changer.

Put it in Sport and leave it there as much as possible, trust me. The gear ratios are adjusted so that it shifts at a higher RPM, making it feel more like a manual and much more peppy. It makes a noticeable difference, so much so that when I don't have sport engaged I feel like I'm going too slow.

The only time I really disengage it is when I drive home during rush hour. The way it shifts can be kind of annoying in stop and go traffic.

The sport model has a stiffer suspension and is lower to the ground; It has no chrome accents either. I think there are some other differences too. I prefer the comfortable ride of the non-sport that I have and feel it's plenty sportier than most cars on the road as it is.

Last edited by emaraszek; 08-02-2012 at 10:44 AM.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by emaraszek
I have pretty much the same car as you, except it's a black VDP without the CD changer.

Put it in Sport and leave it there as much as possible, trust me. The gear ratios are adjusted so that it shifts at a higher RPM, making it feel more like a manual and much more peppy. It makes a noticeable difference, so much so that when I don't have sport engaged I feel like I'm going too slow.

The only time I really disengage it is when I drive home during rush hour. The way it shifts can be kind of annoying in stop and go traffic.

The sport model has a stiffer suspension and is lower to the ground; It has no chrome accents either. I think there are some other differences too. I prefer the comfortable ride of the non-sport that I have and feel it's plenty sportier than most cars on the road as it is.
Thanks, that's helpful to know.... my first impressions re the sport shifting confirm your experience as well -- I'm getting a little highway time on it crossing parts of town, but i havent done any extended road trips on it yet. That will happen on Saturday...

Quick Reply: Just test drove a 2004 3.0 X-Type...(first jag ride ever)