Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaper Installation

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Leaper Installation

I agree with you all especially busjag, and bigdreams-laughing my you know what off. Keep us updated if you do that to the emblem guys! That would be a funny prank! Somehow make it so that you hook the leaper up to a remote servo to get the thing to move by wireless remote and park the car by people and have the thing move maybe make some noises! Get em close and than do something stupid! Like audio of a gun shooting, smoke come from it or "please step away fromt the vehicle, the leaper on the hood is a camera that is motion activated you will be destroyed" Ok maybe not that far but definitely the alarm that says please step away from the vehicle. Any of you guys heard of the alarm systems that tell how close you get to the vehicle and they tell you to back off jack????

Old 04-30-2007, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 45 Likes on 15 Posts

I had a clifford alarm on my first 240sx, but my new one has no alarm! The alarm would beep if you got near the car. I'm sure you can hook that up to some type of digital audio device that can project a bad *** sound when the alarm sensor is triggered!

Old 04-30-2007, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member

There was a van up here in michigan that had a custom airbrushed body with some rims tint and what not at a ford dealer in fenton, but you couldn't see in it. Once you got within like 10 feet of the thing an alarm with this deep vioced guy comes on and was like "Please step away from the vehicle this car is protected by a blah blah blah security system" Than if you didnt' back up it was like "The alarm will sound in kajsdfkjaskfhasjdflahs." Never set it off though I did what he asked!

Old 04-10-2008, 08:24 PM
Veteran Member

Actually fishing line works a ton better than dental floss (if you have any.) I removed the badges on my mountaineer and it took forever mainly because the floss breaks a lot but i didn't have any fishing line...Glad we could help!

Old 04-11-2008, 10:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: 04XTYPE

make the leaper like on the rolls royce phantom that has the hood ornament hide a way when you lock the car
that would be ubber cool[sm=shades.gif]

Old 04-11-2008, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member

I'd buy that! Automatic leaper that is! I'll pass on the phantom though!

Old 05-28-2010, 11:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

take a hand grenade attach the leaper cable to the pin.

Old 05-28-2010, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigdreams05
We'll make a sticky on how to remove the Jag Leaper, and we'll include buying 5 guitar pics and sticking them under there!
Absolutely! Just like it's written.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:01 PM
Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Hi....
I too believe that a Jag just isn't a Jag without it's signature hood ornament (the Leaper).
My little lady did not come out with one at all..... But I have remedied that lol
Purchased one from ebay and am looking forward to fitting it.

I have seen a few posts regarding theft deterrents....
The one that stand out in my mind and I am thinking of utilizing.... will not in anyway endanger the person tying to steal it.... thus no messy lawsuits.

Sure, we would all love to fry the little b**t**ds trying to steal them, but reality.... unless its enough to kill them so they can't claim.... you end up in court lol..

The method I am looking at is to attach the underside to stiff springs (mine is not spring loaded) that will allow a certain amount of upward movement and then insulate this from the hood..... from the base plate attach a contact point that when the leaper is raised to the full extent it will then make contact..... this in turn will be connected to the car horn.... giving them a scare of a lifetime but without harm.... also alerting anyone within earshot.

I can not take the credit for this idea as I read it in the forum somewhere and actually liked this idea.

Maybe useful to others...

Added thought: A retractable leaper would be a fantastic idea..... I may even draft up a servo mechanism to actually achieve this...... the mind is always working

ooops... After all that I forgot what I actually came in to ask....
As I said I do now have my leaper but I would like to know the specifications of where to mount it....
I believe it should be about 2 inches between the furthest part of the leaper (tip of nose) to the front of the hood... is this about right?
Would appreciate the exact dimensions if anyone has them

Last edited by red_101au; 03-11-2014 at 09:05 PM. Reason: forgot my question
The following users liked this post:
Stuart Beattie (04-14-2014)
Old 04-14-2014, 07:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 172 Posts

Hi Bob,

Greetings to you down under, I am going to fit the leaper shortly, there is another post here you want to look at as I'm going there too!

If you look under the hood, there is a mark where I am told you can punch through an indented part to push the hole through but I am yet to see it.

I have also been around the world wide web hundreds of times and all I can find is refitting the leaper or a broken one, I want to try and find fitting them to a car that wasn't originally fitted, it's frustrating as i could really do with a photo-guide to assist because I am scared of messing it up!

I will post when i find something, Good luck Bob, feel free to pm me if you find something good to go, thanks in adbvance!! Regards, Stu

Old 10-16-2016, 10:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Niknik

Originally Posted by 04Xtype
I think we need to invent some kind of electric leaper that when someone touches it, it shocks them. theach them a lesson. or to a less extreme, make the leaper like on the rolls royce phantom that has the hood ornament hide a way when you lock the car
How about you run some wires from the battery to the leaper? Touch the leaper and get a lovely zap reminding the perp that he should find a mercedes to violate!

Old 10-17-2016, 01:55 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Niknik
How about you run some wires from the battery to the leaper? Touch the leaper and get a lovely zap reminding the perp that he should find a mercedes to violate!
Old ignition coil. Isolate leaper electrically from car..... wire up from bottom to leaper. Other wire to ground. Anyone touching leaper and car body gets about a 20k-25k volt surprise.

Old 10-20-2016, 10:17 PM
Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I agree with you all: A Jaguar without a leaper is not a Jaguar, and It was an entertainment to read all those crazy ideas; Dissapear leaper doable but you have to cut a bigger hole for it to sink down under the hood, for electric shock is good way to punnis the thieves, but you myth get back fire if you or your love one touch it, the best way to do it is to give a series of loud blast sound of machine gun, that will scare the day light out of the thug and draw an attention the surrounding.

Old 11-04-2018, 06:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi guys,

I am about to buy an X-type in the near future. I absolutely love the leaping hood ornament, of course it is not a deal breaker, but still... Most cars on sale do not have it. Do I get it right that they are supposed to be illegal in Europe?

Other question is the installment onto a "virgin" hood. I found a video (
) from Bulgaria where the guy drills a hole throught the hood. I feel like he is raping the car - is this how it is supposed to be done? Any anti-corrosion material?

What is your opinion about the removable ornament?

Old 11-05-2018, 02:46 AM
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Thank goodness we stopped fitting this ornament in the UK. My xtype did not come with one and even if I was silly enough to fit one the car may fail the MOT. Why fit something that proclaims to all our light fingered friends "please come steal me?" I know I am driving a jaguar without ornamentation, although after a couple of years of ownership I feel less proud now I have discovered the cost cutting in the build of this car,

Old 11-05-2018, 07:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 126 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by DUNKS
Thank goodness we stopped fitting this ornament in the UK. My xtype did not come with one and even if I was silly enough to fit one the car may fail the MOT. Why fit something that proclaims to all our light fingered friends "please come steal me?" I know I am driving a jaguar without ornamentation, although after a couple of years of ownership I feel less proud now I have discovered the cost cutting in the build of this car,
removing your right to ornament your car was just another way for rhe EU to F england in the A
too bad no one decided to fight for your right.
but hey ...who needs freedom anyway?
tyranny is awesome

Old 11-05-2018, 01:56 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With all respect to everybody’s opinion about the ornament itself, can somebody please answer the question?

-what is the proper way to install it? Is it really to drill a hole through the hood wherever you feel like so?
-does anyone have experience with the removable ornament to prevent stealing?

many thanks in advance

Old 11-05-2018, 02:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by rlazol
With all respect to everybody’s opinion about the ornament itself, can somebody please answer the question?

-what is the proper way to install it? Is it really to drill a hole through the hood wherever you feel like so?
-does anyone have experience with the removable ornament to prevent stealing?

many thanks in advance
The proper way to install it? That depends on what you are putting on there. The ones that came to the United States had a leaper and they were affixed with a spring load so it someone/something woud hit it the leaper would flex. Not sure if the X-Type came with a fixed leaper anywhere in teh world or if all of them had teh spring load or came with no leaper at all. I'm sure you could find fixed ones as i that video you posted, as well as magnetic ones. I would hardly consider drilling a hole in the hood as "raping" the car, as a lot of them came from the factory with a "hole" in the hood. You can tell it was meant to go there from looking under the hood.

This topic has been discussed numerous times on here through the years. Do some quick searching for a few threads and you will find out everything about installing a leaper version.

rlazol (11-05-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 04:03 PM
Received 352 Likes on 206 Posts

G’day rlazol,

I fitted a leaper to my XType. If you open the bonnet/hood and look at the underside in the centre at the front you’ll notice a circular hole in the support frame. I found the exact centre of that and drilled a pilot hole through the bonnet/hood from underneath.

I then used a metal hole cutter of the same size as the leaper mounting bolt, and cut a hole in the bonnet/hood. I cleaned up the rough edges with a file and sprayed the area with a waxy body sealer before I fitted the leaper.

I bought my leaper on eBay and it is spring mounted on a fixed base. It’s been on my car for a couple of years now with no problems.

Cheers,
Jeff Watson.

rlazol (11-05-2018)

Quick Reply: Leaper Installation