X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED turn signal lights a good idea?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 07:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED turn signal lights a good idea?

i found these on the V-leds website and they seem cool: 5K WHITE AMBER DUAL COLOR TYPE 2 CHANGING SWITCHBACK 92 TURN SIGNAL BULBS

Anyway, I think they will work for the X-Type. I'm not sure if they have the CK wiring or not though (I don't think they do). Also, if anyone has looked into these before, do they always stay on in the white illumination state or do they turn off? That's the part I don't understand. For them to be on, I would think that the turn signal circuit in the car must always have current flowing to it. I wouldn't want them to always be on though since that would be sort of annoying.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

I'm interested. Seems to me that they stay white when the turn signal is on and alternate between amber and white but it stays white for longer. I am still very interested.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:09 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

sqenixs, the problems a lot of the members have had with LED bulbs is that the circuitry for the car requires a specific resistance to make the blinkers do what they are supposed to and at a given speed (ie, blink rate). When installing LED bulbs, these are at a completely different resistance and therefore what ends up happening is you get a very fast blink rate. If you only do say the rears, then you end up with an uneven blink rate and what you get is the traditional bulbs being on most of the time and the LED bulbs giving a quick blink. Sometimes this gets to the point of the LED bulbs almost appearing to never come on.

As for the white/amber portions of that bulb, I am not sure what is up with it. I would need to do more research into the bulbs to find out exactly what the bulbs are doing. Odds are, they are not going to be the bulbs that you need.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:03 AM
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts

I was looking at doing all LED bulbs (except for high beams, low beams, and fog lights which would be HID) and I found bulbs that claim to have the resistors built in.

7507/ PY21W Bayonet LED (Amber) - $30.00 : AZN Optics, Your SOURCE for Automotive LED and HID Lighting!

While it does say that additional resistors may be needed for the front turn signal I think these may work out of the box for the rear

Old 07-16-2012, 01:34 PM
Veteran member

Emaraszek, good luck with those bulbs. I think you will find that the light from these is a little on the lacking side. They are using RGB 5050 LED "bulbs". Unless they are using some high tech version, you are going to be disappointed with the amount of light that they are going to give off. Give them a try, but I would be interested in a side by side picture of what the LED bulbs look like compared to the stock bulb.

I am getting ready to install those RGB 5050 LEDs into the wife's car for floor lighting. My intention right now is to use around 200 of those just to do the floor lighting. Those bulbs only have 16 of them per bulb.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Thermo
Emaraszek, good luck with those bulbs. I think you will find that the light from these is a little on the lacking side. They are using RGB 5050 LED "bulbs". Unless they are using some high tech version, you are going to be disappointed with the amount of light that they are going to give off. Give them a try, but I would be interested in a side by side picture of what the LED bulbs look like compared to the stock bulb.

I am getting ready to install those RGB 5050 LEDs into the wife's car for floor lighting. My intention right now is to use around 200 of those just to do the floor lighting. Those bulbs only have 16 of them per bulb.
First I have to install my ceramic brakes and get my headlight fixed like I was telling you about.

Maybe next weekend I'll have the inclination to mess around with $30 light bulbs lol

Old 07-27-2012, 03:13 PM

Ok so the brakes have been in for about a week (brakemotive kit from ebay with 4 drilled/slotted rotors and ceramic pads for $182, an absolute steal!) and I just realized one of my sidemarkers is out so I decided to take the opportunity to buy some LED bulbs.

I got 5 pairs of the small W5Ws that are in the sidemarkers, side turn signals, license plate lights, and parking lights. They were on sale for $11 a pair, down from $14 on ijdmtoy.com. They should be in today so I'll install as soon as I get home from work and post back the results. One thing that concerns me right now is possible hyperflash if I put them in the side turn signals. Hopefully this doesn't happen since the original bulbs were such low power to begin with.

Another thing I noticed on their site, which I'm considering, is their variety of hyperflash resistant turn signal LEDs with built in resistors. They apparently guarantee them to work properly without modification to your car, they're $45 a pair but that might be worth it if I don't have to modify my wiring harness

Old 07-27-2012, 06:00 PM
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

I had a couple of white LED W5W lying around today and I put them into the side marker turn signals. To my surprise there was no hyperblink whatsoever! Even if I removed two bulbs at the same time the car didn't want to hyperblink. I ended up loving the look of the LEDs for the side markers because of their instant on and instant off characteristics compared to regular bulbs.

Funny thing is I tried putting the same bulbs into my 03 S Type R and it immediately hyper blinked and set off a warning of "burnt passenger signal bulb" on the dash.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:02 AM

Same thing with my car, no hyper flash. I tested everything ou last night and it works and looks great. I guess that must be a least partly due to the lack of a sophisticated bulb warning system in the x type. Now I'll have to start getting the other lights converted to LED

Old 07-29-2012, 02:05 AM
Received 35 Likes on 7 Posts

might just get those for mine!! got some LED strip lights at Autozone and installed them behind the side mirrors. can't really see them during the day but it looks awesome at night. Gives a nice lil glow around the mirror when the turn signal is on. i'll try to post pics later on.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:51 AM

I'd like to see how those mirrors turned out mad_mike, sounds awesome.

A friend of mine just gave me a set of LEDs for the fog lights. I'm going to see how they look as opposed to buying an extra HID kit for the fog lights. After all, these are free bulbs vs. an extra $30-$50.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:58 AM

i hope i uploaded it right, here is the pic of the side mirrors. i ended up placing the LED light strip behind the mirror and got a cool glow. it's hooked up with the side marker light so it blinks when i use the turn signal or the hazards. and you can't really see the hardware. best $15 i ever wasted!!

Attached Thumbnails LED turn signal lights a good idea?-side-mirrors.jpg  

Last edited by mad_mike; 08-01-2012 at 02:02 AM. Reason: add on to the post
Old 08-01-2012, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by mad_mike
i hope i uploaded it right, here is the pic of the side mirrors. i ended up placing the LED light strip behind the mirror and got a cool glow. it's hooked up with the side marker light so it blinks when i use the turn signal or the hazards. and you can't really see the hardware. best $15 i ever wasted!!
Wow! That looks great, I'll have to look into doing that on mine

The following users liked this post:
mad_mike (08-02-2012)
Old 08-01-2012, 10:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mad_mike
Yeah, let me know what you had to do for the mirror rope lights. That's a great idea. Unfortunately for me, it seems I may have broke my headlight assembly when attempting to replace my high beam bulbs, so that's top of my list now.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by sqenixs
Yeah, let me know what you had to do for the mirror rope lights. That's a great idea. Unfortunately for me, it seems I may have broke my headlight assembly when attempting to replace my high beam bulbs, so that's top of my list now.
Same here. I've been following another thread on this actually and another member here gave me the CAD drawings for the adjusters. I in turn made 3D models of them and will 3D print them for use in my car. I'm making two sets just in case the other headlight assembly decides to break too.

In my design I've decided to manufacture the "pin" portion of the part out of stainless steel so that this crucial piece holding the lights in place is not flimsy. The rest of the adjuster will be a higher grade plastic with a slot that allows the pin to sit inside it.

I can upload the files if anyone else wants them. You'll need Autodesk Inventor to open them though. (The free Autodesk Viewer may work too)

Old 08-02-2012, 10:35 PM

i got the LED's at my local Autozone. Here is the link:

Alpena/8 in. amber colorful flexible LED light (77444) | LED Exterior Accessories | AutoZone.com

i put these on my Expedition as well but as the quarter lights and the white ones.

I just pasted them on the inside outer curve and ran the wires along the wire harness of the side mirrors. I'll take pics of the side mirror later. I did have to take off the back covers, the door panel, and figure out how to run the wires. It's a half day job ( once you figure the first one out)

Old 12-10-2016, 08:51 PM
Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Hey you guys! wen you replaced the LED lights, do you have to install any parts for conversion or adapters, or just connect straight to to the existing wires?

Old 12-11-2016, 06:48 AM
Veteran member

Thang, this is a loaded question based on the LED bulb that you get. In all cases, they now make LED bulbs with the correct base. So, plugging in the light bulb requires no special harness. The biggest thing to keep in mind is that the LED bulbs are polarity sensitive and if they don't work the first time, they need to be rotated 180 degrees.

Now, for the part that may drive you bonkers and this really only applies to the turn signals, all others are not affected by this. The speed at which a turn signal blinks is based on the amount of current the bulbs pull. Due to the efficiency of the LED bulbs, they will pull less current (in most cases) and give you more light. The problem comes in that it will also cause your blinker to flash really fast (most states have a law that the blinker is only supposed to flash at a rate of 80-120 times a minute per as stated in USDOT manufacturer requirements). This is where you would need to add a specific sized resistor to add more current to the circuit to slow the flash rate to an acceptable rate. Some LED bulbs already have this resistor built into the light and therefore this is not an issue. But, this is mainly found in the more expensive LED bulbs too. The cheaper ones, well, if they don't have to put it in there, they won't to make the bulb as cheap as possible.

If you have more questions about LED bulbs, let me know. I have played a lot with LED bulbs and know a few things about them.

Old 12-11-2016, 02:01 PM
Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Thanks Thermo, that give me enough educate about LED lights, if any thing come up I will ask.

Old 12-18-2016, 08:55 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Thermo
Thang, this is a loaded question based on the LED bulb that you get. In all cases, they now make LED bulbs with the correct base. So, plugging in the light bulb requires no special harness. The biggest thing to keep in mind is that the LED bulbs are polarity sensitive and if they don't work the first time, they need to be rotated 180 degrees.

Now, for the part that may drive you bonkers and this really only applies to the turn signals, all others are not affected by this. The speed at which a turn signal blinks is based on the amount of current the bulbs pull. Due to the efficiency of the LED bulbs, they will pull less current (in most cases) and give you more light. The problem comes in that it will also cause your blinker to flash really fast (most states have a law that the blinker is only supposed to flash at a rate of 80-120 times a minute per as stated in USDOT manufacturer requirements). This is where you would need to add a specific sized resistor to add more current to the circuit to slow the flash rate to an acceptable rate. Some LED bulbs already have this resistor built into the light and therefore this is not an issue. But, this is mainly found in the more expensive LED bulbs too. The cheaper ones, well, if they don't have to put it in there, they won't to make the bulb as cheap as possible.

If you have more questions about LED bulbs, let me know. I have played a lot with LED bulbs and know a few things about them.
Just to complete the information here, the information helpfully given by Thermo applies to pretty much every car since direction blinkers were introduced untill very recently. The 'blinker relay' in the circuit relies on an element inside it heating up and breaking the circuit then making again as it cools down. The speed of heating is governed by the current going through that element which, in turn, is governed by the current drawn by the bulbs. Some recent cars have an electronic 'blinker relay' which flashes at the same speed regardless of the current drawn by the bulbs.
The easy way to tell what your car has is to simply remove one blinker bulb for a moment and see if it affects the blinking speed.
Good news is that electronic blinker relays are available online, Ebay etc, for pretty much pocket change - and the ones I have used do actually work !

The following users liked this post:
Thang Nguyen (12-18-2016)

Quick Reply: LED turn signal lights a good idea?