X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Left tail light blows the f47 fuse on 2004 X-Type 3.0

Old 06-22-2013, 07:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Left tail light blows the f47 fuse on 2004 X-Type 3.0

Well I thought I l only had a tail light out when I was first told about my problem. I then noticed that my side markers were not working on the left side of my car. I checked the fuse and the F47 fuse was blown, I replaced it and it blew as soon as I turned the lights on. I have tracked the problem to my left rear tail light I can unplug it replace the fuse and the side markers and front lights will work, however as soon as I plug it in it blows the fuse and the lights go out. The turn signal and the brake light still work. I guess my question is could it still be just one of the three bulbs causing the problem or is the tail light circuit board assembley?

Old 06-23-2013, 07:15 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,822 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Shak, first off, welcome to the site. I think you will find a lot of useful information here and lots of people willing to help. But, with that being said, we are a quirky bunch in that we like to get to know one another. So, please stop by the "New Member" section and introduce yourself. I think you will find this very helpful and it will also introduce you to the movers and shakers of the site.

Now, for your problem. It is possible that you simply have replaced a light bulb recently and didn't twist it all the way in and now it is shorting out inside the housing. What I would tell you to do is to remove the rear tail light, remove all the bulbs from the support inside the tail light. Next, look at the plug on the taillight and see if the pins look all nice and shiny or if they are looking dull and brownish (ie, rusted). If they are rusted, odds are, there is your problem.

Now, put in a new fuse and turn on the lights. Make sure that they work. Re-connect the bulb base with no bulbs in it. Did the fuse blow? If yes, then your problem is the backing plate and you need a new backing plate (hopefully a local wrecking yard will have one for you, if not, l or one of the other members may have one that they are willing to sell to you). If you can connect up the backing plate and the fuse is still good, install the bulbs one at a time. Check to make sure that the lights are still working after each bulb is installed. But, I bet that you will find that when you install the running light bulb, that will be the one that will blow the fuse (if you are going to have a failure).

With all this being said, are your STOP/running light bulbs the 7528 bulbs (this number should be stamped on the metal base of the bulb). If not, that can be your issue right there.

Lets see what you have at this point and then we can see what else you may need.