Old 01-06-2007, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts
Default !!!!!! LIGHTS !!!!!!

Name:  T15ESSJAG3.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  3.7 KB
Hi all,
there's been a few issues with lights recently, one of which I posted myself.
Just earlier today I fitted 80w / 100w Sportzblue bulbs and man...WHAT a difference. I can actually see in the dark whether I am driving the Saab or the Jag. It really is like night and day. I got them fitted in the dipped / full beam and also foglights and supplemented them with PIAA blue bulbs for the sidelights which give amodern HID lookingblue tinge. Cost for both cars was £93 which was pretty reasonable I thought.
To those with concerns, I will post if there are any problems with wiring loom, blown bulbs etc but I don't expect any. The wife has just called after arriving at work and is very pleased.....I look forward to her gettin home
I have also fitted the rear park assist I mentioned a week or so ago and it works great too....so its all good.
Clear side repeaters fitted as well with orange bulbs that look much better than the stock orange repeaters and a handsfree car kit to round it off...........so I've been busy as you can see.
Next on the hitlist I think will be cruise control upgrade and for sure EBC grooved dimpled rotors married up with redstuff pads for serious stopping power. Makes sense though to get the good outta the existing discs n pads so that may be a little while yet.

Cheers

Jim C

Old 01-06-2007, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
Default RE: !!!!!! LIGHTS !!!!!!

Nice one Jim.
Are the bulbs legal over here?(with being 80w, I mean?)

Old 01-06-2007, 04:30 PM
Veteran Member

ORIGINAL: BuckMR2

Nice one Jim.
Are the bulbs legal over here?(with being 80w, I mean?)
Views: 138
Hiya Buck,
Not street legal Buck, but as you no doubt know from experience. I see drivers all day every day driving round with bright blue bulbs, neon underlighting, mis spaced lettering on their reg's, and fog light drivers - all of which aren't legal, so we'll see how we go and I promise I will let u know, although I really don't expect any issues.
I swear to god though Buck, I wish you could see them, absolutely light night and day. Laughing at myself here gettin all excited about bloody bulbs and being able to actually see where I am driving at night.
You still goin for the HID kit Buck or have you already got it?
Jim C

Old 01-06-2007, 04:37 PM
Veteran Member

If the 80W ones were legal (clear, not blue) I would go for them instead of the HID from your info but dont want anything that it could fail an MOT on.

Old 01-06-2007, 04:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You guys to the east are so silly! It's so funny hearing your guys' way of talking!!! It was lots of fun seeing the little info. center in the dash say the boot was open when I first got the car...I had NO IDEA what to do!!!

Old 01-06-2007, 05:12 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 134

Hey Buck,
If you're seriously interested I'd say that you would never know the difference in an MOT. They just look like xenons do ( brightness wise ) the only thing that gives them the bluish tinge is the blue sidelight bulbs ( 501's I think they are) Dont replace them and just the H1's and wow........what a difference and as I said.......look just like xenons.

Probly cost around £40 total I'd say, as mine cost me £93 for both cars and that was including 501 sidelight bulbs

Let me know if you're interested and I'll send you the link, or just go onto Ebay and type in sportzblue............should take you there.

Cheers mate

Jim C

Old 01-06-2007, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I see people being pulled over all the time because of the headlight upgrade....
Also, when the vehicle inspection is due, i hear they won't pass the state inspections...

Old 01-06-2007, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 150

Hmmmmmm " state inspections" Racer?.......you're talkin bout the states now buddy.........over here you get away with blue murder I swear.
Seriously though.......as long as you dont fit the blue 501 sidelight bulbs they just look like bright xenons lighting the way ahead for a safer drive. The blue sidelights just look way cooler is all.

Anyway racer, where u been? It must be at least 2 hours since your last post

Jim C

Old 01-06-2007, 06:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: aquill1

You guys to the east are so silly! It's so funny hearing your guys' way of talking!!! It was lots of fun seeing the little info. center in the dash say the boot was open when I first got the car...I had NO IDEA what to do!!!
Your dash actually said "boot"? You got your jag from the states? Cuz I think mine said trunk...Just wondering.

That would be cool to see thou, maybe I can get mine changed

Old 01-06-2007, 07:13 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah mine says "boot open". Here in Michigan I've noticed that more and more people have blue lights and they all get away with it. I put some in the Bonneville I just sold and never was hassled for it. Nowdays everyone either has hids or blue and I can't say anyone has ever been pulled over that I can recall. The only thing you get hassled with here is when you tint windows and lately if you use a plate cover thats tinted. These are some of the only things they hassle people with here.

Old 01-06-2007, 07:55 PM
Veteran Member

Hey there johnny boy watch it! I'm in pursuit of being part of the policia!!! Or however you Brits say police! (Directed towards jim and buck)

Old 01-06-2007, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member

Some round here say Polliss.(poll(as in Polly Parrot(Monty Python))-liss)

Old 01-06-2007, 08:50 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 141

Hi Aquill,
so you wanna be a copper, a bobby, peeler or pig....lol. As we say in Glasgow - the Poliss ( Pole with iss on the end ) - you would say - wotchooterrapolis - means, watch out there is the police!
Go for it buddy.......just go easy on the Jag boys huh?
Anyways, I got kin in the states, King of Prussia near Philadelphia I think and they're all Italian, my wife is quarter Italian, you ever heard of the Casa Nostra - Mafia.....rofl

Jim C

Old 01-07-2007, 09:31 PM
Veteran Member

Mercedes, BMW, cocky people in general here I come............................................

Old 01-07-2007, 11:20 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 131

Hi Guys,
update re recently fitted upgrade bulbs. As per Bucks comments ( see above) the only PIAA bulbs were the blue coated 501 sidelight bulbs for that bluish tinge look. The rest were the "SPORTZBLUE" 80w / 100 w jobbies. The name is confusing as although the tip is coated blue it gives off a clear if very very slight bluish tinge although I believe that is mostly down to the sidelight bulbs.
Two full days in and absolutely no problems to report other than VERY VERY BRIGHT LIGHTS. The wife is sooooooopleased
On the Saab - same story, no problems just very very bright lights. One very happy driver at the moment.
I will keep you guys posted re any problems with blown bulbs etc but I don't envisage any.
Buck mate, if you want any more info, please let me know

Cheers

Jim C

Old 01-09-2007, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member

ORIGINAL: baztroy Imagine getting a message "your trunk is open" and then having an accident whilst you fumble with your zip. What do you say to the insurance company then......
You could try saying "I hadnt had a **** for 2 weeks and just couldnt help myself even though I was driving at 55 on the motorway (sorry Freeway..oris that Interstate..or maybeRoute something)?

Old 01-10-2007, 10:44 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 130

Quote below from Bojangles on this forum - certified auto electrician when asked about the uprated bulbs!
"worked my way through university back from 1987-1992working in a car audio shop. I installed radios, alarms, radar detectors, phones, starters etc... I ripped every car you can imagine to pieces and together again. From mercs and bimmers to rolls royces to Ferraris.. even Jags then too.
that was whenI fell in love with the 1988 M5.
I was a certified licenced automotive electrician. ( now mechanical engineer) There were daily cases of electrical problemsthat we had to solve quickly. The first step was always check the fuses by running a test light across the teminals. Normally if a fuse was blown then putting a new one only blew right away.... but at least it gave an indication of what was going on.

and re the uprated bulbs!

I guess technically the answer is "it depends" I need to see how our lights are wired up from the factory. I also have xenons so I cant check on my car. My guess is that since all the lights run through a LCM (light control module) that there must be at least relays for main and dipped beams, and possibly seperate relays for left and right sides.
Most relays for lights are good for 30 amps each .. more than enough to support the brighter bulbs.
The wiring also should be OK,
I know the X type has a very sophisticated battery charging system, to deal with thehigh level of electronics. It is a unique system and I doubt there will be any issue keeping the batter charged or over taxing the alternator. I think there is some reading on
www.jaguartechinfo.com take a look there if you are bored one day (youneed to pay for a subscription)
I suppose we should compare the alternator capacity .. my car has the heated winscreen that adds a way bigger draw than bigger lights..
I really would not worry at all about it.... the first thing to give would be the fuses.. they have to be weaker than the wiring and relays.. so as long as you are not blowing the original fuse size.. then all is cool

Thanks Bojangles

Jim C[align=right]
[/align][align=right][/align][align=right]

[/align]

Quick Reply: !!!!!! LIGHTS !!!!!!