X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Little bulb by the headlights is out

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 09:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Little bulb by the headlights is out

I noticed the little bulb in the separate lense by the headlights on the driver side is out. I went to look around and see how easy it would be to change, and it looks like it is going to be a PITA to change. Do I have to remove the entire front bumper to get to that little bulb? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 10-25-2007, 01:28 PM
Default RE: Little bulb by the headlights is out

thanks, didn't think to check the manual

Old 10-25-2007, 04:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 360 Posts

I think you are talking about the parking lights? They are the small bulbs mounted in the top of the main beam reflector. It is dead easy to change those bulbs without removing anything as they are just held in place by pushing them through the mounting hole. Remove the innermost round cover from the rear of the headlamp unit and get your fingers behind the red and black cables going up to the top of the reflector. You won't be able to see the rear of the bulb from there, but pull it firmly and the lamp will pop right out allowing you to change the bulb outside of the lamp unit. Getting it back in can be fiddly, but you can feel the hole it goes in with one finger while guiding it in with another. You can also look through the front of the lamp to see when it is lined up.

If it isn't the parking lights you mean, which is it? I know the US-spec cars have some extra lamps on them over the UK ones?

Old 10-25-2007, 04:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The little bulb is easy to replace...if you have smallish hands...

Old 10-25-2007, 07:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  cars.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  7.4 KB

ORIGINAL: aquill1
The little bulb is easy to replace...if you have smallish hands...
Either that or you employ the service of some smallish 12 year old kid for 20 mins or so

Jim

Old 10-26-2007, 09:27 AM

thanks for the info guys, yes, it is the parking light... got the 2825 bulb, probably pop it in this weekend.

Old 10-26-2007, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 33

Cool Humy.......its not that big of a deal really.
I think its a W501 over here though!

Jim

Old 10-26-2007, 05:29 PM
Received 71 Likes on 30 Posts

I also want to chime in and tell you to PLEASE be careful when pushing the new bulb(s) back into place. It is extremely easy to break small plastic tabs that the reflector mounts to when doing this. They're a pain to fix, and cause a droopy, misaligned beam.

Old 10-28-2007, 06:54 PM
Veteran Member

Be careful with many things...i've noticed a lot of things break easy on this car!

Old 10-29-2007, 11:20 AM

those suckers were in there pretty good, i had to use needle nose pliers to get them out - I will check if I broke them while putting them back in... hopefully I did not

Old 10-29-2007, 04:35 PM
Veteran Member

Hopefully not! Just be careful I've noticed that some things are quite easy to break when putting things on your car or removing them...

Old 10-30-2007, 05:40 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 31

Yeah Aquill.............you think maybe they're designed that way to improve the aftermarket sales figures??
Lol

Jim

Old 10-30-2007, 08:21 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah...so instead of fixing things and worrying about breaking more things just invest in a newer one!!! BTW speaking of new cars I just called the jag dealer I test drove at before I bought mine because he had a s-type r. Man do I want it its british racing green with navi its an 2005 and only has 16k miles. Bad part is its 36k!!! I've been checking them out all spring and summer long and now that I think of it it is a little high but if I didn't have the x-type and am able to sell my escape still to my little brother I could easily spend that much money on that car! Man I can't wait!

Old 10-30-2007, 09:06 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 26

Cool
Good luck Quill, hope you can make it work out ok!
Does that mean you're gonna do a "Biggie" on us then? You'll become an honorary X member....lol

There seems to be quite a few non X owning members who frequent the X section for some reason
Personally I think its for Bucks good looks and Caddies sense of humour

Jim

Old 10-31-2007, 08:06 AM
Veteran Member

Probably more to see bucks sexy seats! Yeah I'll be getting an s-type someday...no reason I can't think about it now though!

Truly Jim I love the x but my baby is just that a baby and the car is too small....right now we have a huge monster of a car seat that locks him in as if he was in a nascar race and it has to face the back..well that pretty much leaves my knees into the seat because the car is soo tight. My salesman was trying to talk me into another x....xj8 that is! I'd take one of those too but I'd want the super!
Hey I see it as long as I stay with jag who cares? I love the look, history and prestige as well as the quirks...most of the time anyways!

Old 10-31-2007, 08:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 44 Likes on 14 Posts

Hey Jim, its not just the X-type section pal. I visit every forum and try and help out as much as possible. However, when the X-type section gets two pages of threads, I just move one.

Quil...36K? A bit steep pal, keep looking. Although, if it's BRG, and low miles and a good year like 05-06 even 07(although not likely), go for it. If you can do it, do it. We'll be honorary X members together pal.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:34 AM
Veteran Member

Oh I can't afford that! Well unless I got rid of both cars which I plan to do...yeah I know its overpriced I told my salesman who btw remembers me from over a year ago and I didn't even buy a car from him! I told him I'd only spend about 25k...although you can't really say its overpriced as there are not 05's anywhere on any website going for much less than 25k but those also either are out of warranty or have really high miles...I've seen many 05's for 29k and they had 3 times the mileage not to mention this is at a jag dealer not just on ebay for sale so that has to be taken into consideration. I messaged one of the guys on ebay right now (hennessy I think) and that jag dealer has a black 05 for 26k with like 56k miles...btw no warranty either so your looking at another 2k at least for the warranty...now that 36k my jag dealer wants isn't quite so steep. Although I probably wouldn't pay much more than probably 32k for that particular one...although 16k miles is a new car but still not worth 36k. I'd like to test drive it maybe I'll talk to him see what I can do. He bigs how much bigger in real life is the s-type? I'm speaking more of the interior than anything...also what is the biggest rim you can go...I've seen some 22's on them but I wouldn't want that...I saw a set of xkr rims that were 20's that were stock rims that i love but they are like 9.5 for the rear which I'm sure is too big. I'd imagine what 8.5 the biggest width you'd want to go with or is it just like the x-type for rims where the biggest anyone should go is 19 with 18 being the safest?

Old 10-31-2007, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

LOL,quill too to switch to the S .

Old 10-31-2007, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member

I wouldn't if there weren't such a good looking one as a r...otherwise if there weren't one I never would buy one! My true love is in the x-type but if no R I would definitely by one of the xj's...

Quick Reply: Little bulb by the headlights is out