X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost ALL BRAKE PRESSURE

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 10:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost ALL BRAKE PRESSURE

First and foremost. Thank you ALL here at J.F for all the help you've given me over the last year and the money you guys have helped me save.

2003 X-Type 2.5L AWD British racing green

OK, I just got home from an out of town trip last night. everything working fine. I head out this morning and when I get to the first stop sign, there was about half the pressure as normal in my brake pedal. As I get to the next light there was no pressure at all. I manage to get to the nearest auto zone and see my brake reservoir is empty. I look under the car and see a leak right at the Right Rear tire. I purchased some more fluid and got a little pressure just to get me home.

While I was at Auto zone, I purchased some replacement break line and some pressure fittings to make a quick fix for the week to get to and from work. My buddy(pretty good mechanic) already has the flaring kit and and the know-how to help me fix the leak.

The appeared to be fixed leak only created an additional leak when we attempted to bleed the breaks, that leak was repaired and a 2nd leak (3rd total appeared). The 3rd leak was repaired and the brakes were bled but not fully, just to keep from creating additional leaks. It appears I now have just enough brake pressure to get by while I practice very defensive driving. I didn't see any more leaks after the repair but am concerned that additional leaks will be created eventually.

Obviously my lines are corroded and rusted.
But FINALLY to my point.

I want to replace all the lines in my car, FRONT and REAR to be sure that will not happen again.

ALSO, is this something that has happened to others? Should I be concerned with other faulty components that connect from the brake line to the wheel?

P.S. sorry about the long write up...just trying to be clear....nothing like not being able to stop a 3000 pound piece of metal...probably the most important part of the car besides the seatbelt.........

to add on.....

I do have some pressure on my pedal now meaning it comes back up and doesn't get stuck or anything like that so I don' t think its a booster or master cylinder issue...lol but what do I know.

and the reason I am even posting...does anyone know how many lines i need to replace? diagram of where? or OEM parts numbers?

Last edited by Prodriver365; 06-04-2013 at 01:48 AM.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:14 AM
Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

Who knows how much air you have in the lines. Thoroughly bleed them and it should get better.

Good call on replacing the lines, Buffalo winter salt is tough on undercarriages.

Last edited by Bud Tender; 06-04-2013 at 01:18 AM.