to lpg or not to lpg

Old 03-18-2011, 02:36 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default to lpg or not to lpg

Hi all thinking about coverting the cat (3ltr) to lpg

Old 03-18-2011, 06:38 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

4x4x4, this is my view of things and you can take it for what it is worth.

Conversion to LPG in the long run is not a worthwhile venture due to the fact that a quality conversion will run you a fair amount (over $1000 normally). Not to mention that you end up loosing about half of your trunk due to the new tank that they give you. In addition, if you are looking for the cost savings, unless you are owning the car for another 100K miles, you probably will not see the return. Also, you will notice a slight drop in power due to the fact that the LPG has less energy in it than gas. I think you will also find that stations with the LPG fill-ups is hard to find. Sure, there might be one around the corner from your house, but where is the next one after that? This seems to be the big hold up for a lot of people.

Can it be done. Of course. But ,what is your reason for doing it. As long as you keep the car well maintained, the environmental differences between the two fuels is very minimal.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:15 PM

I take it you live in usa as it is 5cents per gallon but over here in blighty it is 6pounds per gallon and $1000 conversion would be a bargain and would pay for it self in about a week

Old 04-02-2011, 01:02 AM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

I had a vehical once that had been converted.

LOUSY performance, and LOUSY mileage. Yeah, it did cost a bit less to run, but I found myself searching out LPG pumps in barnyards and behind warehouses (where I waited in line for fuel with forklifts and city garbage trucks). The best bets were the local heating fuel suppliers, outfits that are always out in the Industrial parks and near the rail yards, but close at 5 o'clock.

Forget using a credit card for most LPG transactions, too.

The final straw was when I ran out of fuel on a hill 30 miles from town. You can NOT just pour some in the tank to get 'er going again. It was the full meal deal - a tow vehical, remove the driveline, put it in the storage yard overnight because no checks no credit cards cash only, and then have a friggin' Propane FUEL TRUCK deliver a tankful in the yard before I could drive off!

(Oh, yeah - the yard was pure mud, and I had to crawl back under and re-attach the driveline)

If you are truly into adventure, do the conversion. Us folk here in the forum will love to hear your stories of the road before you convert back!

I should add that I was so frustrated with the experience, I pulled "the jug" out of the trunk and had a few nips as the tow truck operator was hooking me up. The State Patrolman that pulled up on "the scene" (at that very moment, of course) asked me if I had the keys for the vehical. I said "sure", so he traded me the keys for a "Physical Control of a Motor Vehical While Intoxicated" ticket and hauled my a** off to jail.

I hate LPG conversions.

Old 04-02-2011, 03:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  19.3 KB

Hey there fourby.....as a UK based owner I'd say you're on the right track, fuel here has gone through the roof and probably isn't finished yet. I've uncluded some links I found below although I#m sure you've probably seen them .....

Jaguar X Type LPG Conversion [Jaguar X Type LPG Conversion] - £1,200.00 : Anglia Autogas, LPG Autogas Kits & Equipment, LPG Conversion Equipment Online Shop

Go LPG - LPG conversion -Brief description

You have to weigh it up for yourself.......If you're going to keep the car for another 2-3 years at least, maybe more then you could make some serious savings. Looks to be around the £1500 mark for a good lpg conversion, not sure if the grants are still available ( worth checking !! )
Are you doing reasonable mileage? obviously another factor to consider to work out payback and potential further savings over the life of ownership of the car....

Please keep us informed as to how you get on and which route you decide to go down

Old 04-19-2011, 01:48 PM

got a quote to convert about 2k(gbp) and at 25 mpg average which is what i am getting at the moment it will pay for itself in 2 years it will save me nearly 1k per year and it is an add on so the petrol tank stays in so if you run out of lpg you switch to petrol and away you go again looks like bruce got a cr*p coversion