X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Major Tire Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 09:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major Tire Issues

I have a 2004 Jaguar X-Type 3.0L. When i had the oil changed recently i noticed that the front two tires had worn on the inside severely bad, already showing the belt. It was only the inside and the everything besides that seems to be fine. I then just had a blow out on the right front today and had to change tires. After pulling it off i realized that the inside wall of the front right tire, and probably the same on the left front, was worn through completely. It was almost like someone had taken a piece of metal and, while the tire was spinning, held it against the inside wallof it. Now since I now have no spare. Any ideas on why it is doing that? Has anyone else experienced this problem? And what would be the best way to fix it?

Old 10-25-2007, 01:54 AM
Default RE: Major Tire Issues

Does anyone have any idea what might be the problem? The car only has 32k on it and it was bought at like 24 or 26k, so it isn't that old.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:46 AM

You have an alignment problem, probably due to a bad cv joint, wheel bearing, or tie rod. If you want to do it yourself, just say so and I'll let you know how to troubleshoot what the problem is. Otherwise, if you are going to have a shop do the repairs, just take it in and have them troubleshoot it. Replace whatever the worn part is, and then get an alignment and you are all set to go. At a shop, expect to pay around $300 to $700 depending on which part is bad. Doing it yourself, expect to pay around $50 to $300 depending on which part is bad - then figure in the cost of an alignment since you can't do that yourself. Do it yourself difficulty on this one is probably beginner/intermediate for tie rod, intermediate for wheel bearing, and "you better know what you are doing" for the cv joint - it consists of replacing the drive shaft unless you want to mess with doing the joint by itself which is a pain.

Whatever you do, don't just replace the tires and drive as normal. Things will seems fine once the tires are replaced, but the new tires will get eaten alive in no time and you will have essentially thrown the money for tires out the window because the same thing will happen within 5000 miles or so.

*** Edit ***
I just realized that you are still under warranty... Just take it in to the shop and have them repair it. Although an alignment could be considered normal wear and tear and they may not want to cover it, it sounds like you have a mechanical issue with one of the parts I described above and an alignment is part of the repair process so they would do one when replacing whatever is bad. Price = Free!

Or, I suppose that it is possible that you just need an alignment... However cars don't just get un-aligned. Maybe if you hit a curb hard or something, but it doesn't just happen. If this is the case though and they don't want to cover it under warranty, it will probably be under $100 for them to do it.

Whatever it is, good luck! I would also ask them to replace the tires to see if by chance you can get those free. After all, your car only has 30k miles on it - you shouldn't be having these issues already and the tires being bad are a direct result of the mechanical issue.

Old 10-25-2007, 06:44 PM

Thank you very much for the help. I had the front tires replaced today and then I took it to the Jaguar Dealership and had it aligned. All is well now

Old 10-25-2007, 06:45 PM

Incase you were curious, the toe was off about 1.35 degrees.

Old 10-26-2007, 04:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Nice to hear you solved your issues .Not a tyre expert but it was verily off

Old 10-26-2007, 09:46 AM

Good to hear it was simply an alignment issue. Did they say what could have caused it to go out of alignment? It isn't very likely that it just went out of alignment on it's own... There is usually some other cause to the issue. Just watch your tires for uneven wear and take it in if you notice any. Good to hear you are back on the road though!

Old 10-26-2007, 10:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when there is aalignment issue like that - I like to blame the car washes where your tire runs through that track and gets pulled through the wash by either the driver or passenger side wheels- whoever invented that should be shot

Naturally,an employeedeicdes to spray your windshield while you are pulling into the wash blinding you so you can't see. In that moment where you have just turned on your windshield wipers and are peering out the windshield with your face up to it as if you are driving through a hurricane....you slam the tire into the side of track just trying to get into it - the "director" person tells you to turn your wheel in a certain direction, you finally get it lodged in, then your rear wheel gets kicked in because you started out crooked, now one wheel is on the inside of the track and one on the outside of the track. your rimsare gettting nice and scratched up against the track made for jeeps. next thing the track gets hold of your slightly turned front wheels and pulls you throug the car wash - and the whole time you think your car loves you because it is going to be clean, but what you don't know is the cat actually hates you because it is going to run pigeon toed down the highway for the next year until you go for a service to get your tires rotated and get stuck with $500 worth of tires and alignment jobs so your cats feet can be straight when she runs in the open field

sorry, had to vent

Old 10-26-2007, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  cars.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  7.4 KB

Man Humy[&:][&:][&:]
I can't believe you suject your beautiful car to that kinda torture?
I dont think I've had any of my cars anywere near one of those things for the past 7 - 8 years maybe! So so bad for your paintwork first n foremost let alone scratching your rims etc etc.[&:][&:][&:]
All hand wash for me now. If I'm stuck for time or once in a while I'll visit a local trusted " hand car wash"...........Even then I watch them like a hawk the whole time!!!

Jim

Old 10-28-2007, 07:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hand car wash? Never seen one of those before....I like the wand car wash now and again...when I can't hand wash...

Old 10-28-2007, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 45 Likes on 15 Posts

Wand Car Wash? Like Buck-merlin? I've never seen one of those...LOL! Seriously thought, hand car was or no clean at all.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Car wash that has a wand...or basically a power washer that rotates at the ceiling....you've never seen one?[&:]

Old 10-28-2007, 08:09 PM

It's like one of the do it yourself ones where you pull into the car bay and there is a power washer that has various settings...

ORIGINAL: aquill1

Car wash that has a wand...or basically a power washer that rotates at the ceiling....you've never seen one?[&:]

Old 10-28-2007, 08:20 PM
Veteran Member

Ohhh...lol! My bad. There is one of those near my house, but why pay to do it somewhere other than my house, where I get better service(my own anyways) and all the time I want.

Old 10-29-2007, 04:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 10-29-2007, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

The pic is

Old 10-30-2007, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member

LOL! No pics of that bo? Were we not talking about something quite similar a while back. I know it's been a long time though.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  cars.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  7.4 KB

Yeah I remember it well.....lol
Although it looks / sounds like a great idea and the scenery was top class, the wash wasn't and also the liklihood of damage to the vehicles paintwork was high[&:][&:]

Quite a costly exercise for a cheap thrill!

Jim

Quick Reply: Major Tire Issues