X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mechanic can't adjust rear toe ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 06:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mechanic can't adjust rear toe ???

Took my car for the four wheel alignment today, and the mechanic doing it said he couldn't get the rear toe within spec. He got the left hand to 0.2 but the right hand was 2.0 and that was the lowest he could get ??

Camber was spot on, and the control arms have all recently been changed.

Anyone else had this problem or any ideas why it wouldn't be possible to get it adjusted properly ? and any fixes ?

Old 04-25-2017, 09:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts
Old 04-26-2017, 02:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply Dell, I already have adjustable control arms fitted, it is not the camber he couldn't adjust though ( this was spot on thanks to the arms ), it is the toe of the rear wheels ( adjusted by the two bolts in the centre of the car by the diff )

Old 04-26-2017, 07:52 AM
Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by mikewales
Thanks for the reply Dell, I already have adjustable control arms fitted, it is not the camber he couldn't adjust though ( this was spot on thanks to the arms ), it is the toe of the rear wheels ( adjusted by the two bolts in the centre of the car by the diff )
Use some adjustable toe links from a Focus St to replace the lower forward arms of the X. You'll have to use spacers of some sort at the frame side of the mount (I used a bunch of washers) and have your mechanic set the factory toe adjustments to their max. Now you can use the adjustable toe links to dial it in perfectly.

With alignments, you cant adjust one setting without it throwing off another so when you got your camber back in line it naturally changed your toe angles, probably to the amount that factory adjustments cant match the new settings.

Only a few of us have done this but I know from my own experience it makes a world of difference in performance, drivability and adjustments. Good luck!

Last edited by X-TypeMentality; 04-26-2017 at 08:14 AM.