X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Misfire

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 12:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Misfire

New member with more questions, sorry. A week ago we purchased our first Jaguar (2002 x-type 2.5). On the way home the check engine light came on indicating an issue with a miss fire on cylinder 6. I replaced all the plugs as well as the coil for cylinder 6. Once complete I cleared the codes (p1314 and p0306) and they have not returned. The miss did not go away though.

Is there any good way to determine what cylinder is having an issue now? I dont want to start throwing money at the car if I can help it.

Last edited by Karmak; 03-29-2010 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Correct Title.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Miss Fire? I think she's dancing down at the Crazy Horse this week.

Oh sorry, I just couldn't resist. I know that's not helpful at all.

Can you describe when the misfire happens - upon startup and stays or is it only when the car comes up to operating temps?

Old 03-12-2010, 03:59 PM

I realized my mistake when I posted but I am not allowed to edit posts currently I wish she was dancing right now!

Right when starting you can feel and hear that there is a miss. I can record the sound if needed. I ran it by a local import repair shop (closest Jag dealer is 2-3 hours away) and they listened to it for free. They confirmed the misfire but didnt offer any advice on how to repair the issue.

I drove the car one day with the miss and it didnt smooth out after my 30 min drive to work. I would say it might even be more evident once its driven.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:18 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Karmak, I would first try swapping the two coils side by side and see if the misfire moves to a different cylinder. It is possible you simply have a bad coil. From there, pull out the plug and make sure that it isn't carbon'ed up or something funny like that. Also, while you have the coils off, take a look at the boots between the coil and the plug. It is possible that if the rubber boot is breaking down, it will allow the spark to jump prior to the plug, leading to your misfire.

When the car does misfire, is it generally right after it has rained? I know it sounds silly, but having messed with other Fords, the trucks suffer from the tops of the coils cracking and it will cause the motor to misfire due to water intrusion into the coil. So, when you have the coil out, take a good look at the top and see if you spot any cracks in the clear top. If you see a crack, replace the coil.

Hopefully these simple checks will clear things up for you. If not, let me know and we can take it a few steps further.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:45 PM
Unhappy

I had my dad unplug the front 3 coils one at a time with the car running. Each time there was a noticeable drop in rpm and feel. I then swapped the back 3 for the front 3 and tried the same thing again. Once again there was a noticeable change when each was unplugged.

All 6 plugs have been replaced and are gapped correctly. While we have had rain the car has not been exposed to any of it since we got it. It has unfortunately lived in the garage and not been out but once on a sunny day.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:28 AM
Veteran Member

Did you happen to buy the car from a dealer or private seller? I notice you say you just picked it up...just makes me wonder if the prior owner was unloading something on you....

I would say this is not really a common issue with this car. You may want to bite the bullet and go ahead and take it in for at the very least a proper diagnosis by a tech.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:41 AM

We purchased it from a small town (Non Jaguar) dealer. We contacted them immediately and they basically told us to **** off. The closest Jaguar dealer is 140 miles away. I am reluctant to drive it that far. I dont want to cause yet another issue.

I currently have the intake off awaiting 3 new ignition coils to replace what looks to be the factory ones. When taking the intake off this time I noticed an oily substance on the bottom where it made contact with each gasket. I can not find the source of this and I dont recall it being there the first time I took it all apart. It was all clean and dry the last time I put it back on.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:47 PM
Unhappy Oil in Intake

All the ignition coils have now been replaced and the issue has not changed. The last few times I have taken the intake off I noticed an excessive amount of oil will drip out. The bottom of the plugs also look to be covered in oil. What would cause this amount of oil to enter the intake? The oil level appears to be about 1/2 quart low so it shouldn't be due to overfilling. I assume it is coming in the ribbed breather hose from the valve cover.

Thanks,
Alex

Old 04-01-2010, 01:32 AM

Change both of your valve cover gaskets. Chances are the plug is arching from the oil. It is suppose to be bone dry down in the plug recess.

myglimk2

Old 04-01-2010, 08:07 PM

my jag does the same thing, the misfire doesnt go away after an hr drive, check engine came on a couple time but went away by itself. car runs fire just this rlly annoying but small stuttering. im gonna do all of these since theyre due anyways, plugs and gaskets, but it doesnt rlly bother me. i would check all hoses for holes maybe u got a vaccuum hose that has a small hole that is causing this? idk good luck

Old 04-11-2010, 10:42 AM
Unhappy

Compression check on cylinders 4,5,6 read 120, 90, 180 and there appear to be quite a bit of oil come in through the intake. Would I be safe to assume this is an issue with a valve causing excess pressure that is taking oil through the breather? Also does anyone know if the head off a 3.0 is the same as a 2.5 to swap?

Thanks!
Alex

Old 04-11-2010, 01:15 PM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

The Dealership you purchased from probably has an aftermarket Warranty Program availible. They love them because of the great mark-up they can add to them (the cost is quite negotiable!) and they encourage people to bring the cars back to their dealership for repairs.

They are usually availible up to 30 to 90 days after the sale of the car, too.

Thank god we bought one when we purchased out 2002 X-Type back in late August of last year. The car had more than a few problems, and the warranty saved the day. Granted, our co-pays have totalled about $3,200 US, but we just figured that's the price of having a nice Jaguar.

The end result is a well-repaired, good-looking car with almost $10,000 US repairs (more than we paid for the car!).

Maybe check into the aftermarket warranty. Ours cost about $1,200 US, but as you can guess it was well worth it. I've had to throw in a couple of bottles of Jack Daniel's for the occasional Service Writer and Lead Mechanic, too, but I call that "warranty insurance".

I hope your misfire fix is quick and easy, down and dirty, but do give some thought to an aftermarket warranty.

Good Luck!

Old 04-11-2010, 04:25 PM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

Oh, yeah...

...and a can of quality Fuel Injector Cleaner might not hurt, either!

Everyone else tendered a guess. I'm voting "Dirty Injector".

~Bruce

Old 04-12-2010, 06:44 AM
Veteran Member

Karmak before you get too far into it, have you checked the PCV valve? It is fairly common for these to go bad on the X and can cause misfires, codes, and oily conditions. Something to examine and cheap enough you may want to just throw a new one at it and see what happens.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're not getting any codes, I'd start to look at vacuum leaks. Take a can of carb cleaner and start spraying around all vacuum lines and the intake manifold. If you can hear the idle raise and begin to smooth out, then begin to isolate the leak. Is the misfire there throughout the entire RPM range? Or only at idle?

Old 04-14-2010, 11:34 AM

Still not getting any codes. The miss is through the whole RPM range. Last night I replaced the PCV valve and a broken transmission mount. Probably dont want to know how the PO pulled that off. I let it run for about 20 minutes. I think it has smoothed out a little but its been a while since I have run the car so it could just be wishful thinking.

I have listened and sprayed for leaks and not found any. I had 2 ITM o-rings sent with the PCV valve but I cant for the life of me get the things out. The top one will not move at all and the bottom one will spin in place but not move out at all. I didn't hear any leaks but they were covered in liquid gasket stuff so I figured it was a good idea to replace them.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definately a good idea to replace those seals. But if you aren't hearing or noticing any leaks from them, then it most likely won't solve the problem. You might want to think about a fuel filter and a good fuel system treatment like Pi from Amsoil.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:56 PM

I was finally able to replace the ITM seals. Pain getting all the gasket material off! The 2nd ITM Valve (bottom) came right out. I didn't think that was suppose to happen.

I have not driven the car since we got it home over a month ago now . The Jag dealer (over 2 hours away) said it could cause issues with the cat if we did. I did not buy it from them just ran the issue past them over the phone. With that said I did put 1/2 a can of seafoam in the tank (1/8th full now) and its been there since the issues started a month ago. Any other ideas as to what I can replace? I will look into the fuel filter tomorrow and see about getting that done by the weekend.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:38 AM
Veteran Member

So is it running smooth now or still misfiring?

Fuel filter is a pretty straightforward job on this car. I think Thermo has a writeup somewhere if I recall, try a search.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:12 AM

Still have the misfire unfortunately. I will change the fuel filter this weekend.

Quick Reply: Misfire