X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moonroof leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 12:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moonroof leak

I was hoping somone could post a picture of their moonroof open so I could compare to my 02 x type.
I bought the car a few months ago and have had a lot of surprises... Love the car and don't mind working on it. It's leaking like a sive right now. I notice it on the drivers side, the roof is wet near the drivers door and I can see the water running down by the hood leaver.It ruins down behind the trim and this is where I can see it comming out. I'mean wondering if I'm missing a seal?

Any thoughts or ideas would be great.

Old 03-31-2017, 03:32 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Dino, you are not missing a seal more than likely. What you are experiencing is clogged drain lines. If you open up the sunroof and then stand in the middle of it, you will see a small hole in the 4 corners of the sunroof. You have a line that runs down each A pillar (ie, the pillar on the windshield) and a line that runs down each C pillar (the pillar by the rear glass). Over time, these can become clogged with mold/other debris and not allow water to drain.

To clear these, the easiest thing I have found is to get a can of compressed air. Using some masking tape, tape up the end of the straw so it is slightly larger than the openings of the drains. Then, pour a little bit of water into the drain hole and then insert the straw to the canned air against the drain opening and give the can a quick press of the trigger as you hold the tapped straw against the hole. Give it a few quick blasts. You should then see a little bit of water start draining out from the corner of the car. Repeat for the other drain holes.

Once you have 1 or more drains cleared, I recommend taking say a large pitcher and filling it up with water. You can then pour it into the recess around the sunroof. You may find that parking on a slight incline will be helpful with the holes that you are desiring to flush being on the lower part of the incline. You can then pour the water into the recess near the drain hole and let the water flush out what may be left in the tube. May even find it beneficial to spray a little bit of Lysol down the drain hole to kill of any mold that may have formed in there. Just let the Lysol sit for say 30 minutes before pouring any water down that tube.

On a side note, you will not want to use an air compressor unless you regulate the pressure down to say 60 psi. If you get too much pressure, you run the risk of pushing the tube off of a connection, leading to water draining directly into your car, or rupturing the tubing (again, draining water directly into the car).

Old 03-31-2017, 03:49 PM

Thanks for the reply . I'll try it this weekend and let you know. I appreciate the help!

Old 04-20-2017, 10:18 PM

Thanks for the help and instructions! It was greatly appreciated and I think it helped with a couple of the drain holes. One of the drainage tubes was disconnected also which I think was my main problem but I seem to have that fixed up as well! Thanks again.

​​​​​​