X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

multiple tries to start | misfiring engine in the cold.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 01:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default multiple tries to start | misfiring engine in the cold.

My car has had a misfire on cylinder 4 due to a fault ignition coil. Car has been driven while I wait for parts but very carefully and rarely over 2k rpms. Car didn't feel like it was struggling even though I was taking it easy.

However today it started to not start up first try. The one occasion it took 1 failure then second try it started. However most recent try it took 3 fails for it to finally start on the 4th try. The car seemed to make a higher pitch noise like something wasn't fastened well and wasn't constant. Apologies for the not so good description of the noise.

It's been in the mid to high 40s today (fahrenheit). So I'm assuming due to the not healthy cylinder and the lower temps that it's causing it to not fire up as easily. Don't wanna have to find out the car developed another issue from the misfire so all replies are really appreciated.

Last edited by AndrewG; 11-07-2017 at 01:09 PM.
Old 11-07-2017, 01:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Andrew, do you know what specific code you are getting to determine that it is teh coil that is causing your issue? If so, can you post here?

Is the chek engine light flashing or is it constant? If it is flashing I would not recommend driving it as the misfire is bad enough to damage your catalytic converter.

Hard to really say what the noise is, but could it have maybe been a belt squealing?

Old 11-07-2017, 01:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alfadude
Andrew, do you know what specific code you are getting to determine that it is teh coil that is causing your issue? If so, can you post here?

Is the chek engine light flashing or is it constant? If it is flashing I would not recommend driving it as the misfire is bad enough to damage your catalytic converter.

Hard to really say what the noise is, but could it have maybe been a belt squealing?
P0304 and p0354.

Check engine light only has flashed once for a short time, took it easy after that one time and it hasn't flashed since.

It may have been a belt but it sounded different. Could be anything not sure

Old 11-07-2017, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

You are lucky in that the coil is an easy one to change. It is in the front.
In order for the correct firing order to be observed it should be noted that the correct cylinder numbering is, when viewed from the rear of
the engine, the right-hand cylinder bank is numbered 5,3,1 and the left-hand cylinder bank is numbered 6,4,2.

My first question is How much fuel is in the tank?

Normally when you go to start the vehicle when you turn the key it starts the fuel pump and it runs for 3 to 5 seconds to charge the fuel rack. Once the engine starts ECU takes over and tells the fuel pump when to run.

The reason for the level question is the the fuel tank has a hump in it and there is a small aux pump that pumps fuel over the hump to where the main pump can use it. If you are low on fuel and having a hard time starting it may be the aux pump going out.

If fuel level is good then you are having a fuel charging problem at start up. My first inclination would be a clogged fuel filter since it will start after a few tries.