X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Jag doesn't run in the rain :( Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 11:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Jag doesn't run in the rain :( Help!

I have owned my Jag since 2004 and in the last year it acts up when I drive it in the rain...???

Today, on my way home from work in the rain my check engine light turned on, then the big red explanation mark and that was it ~ it lost power.

The last time this happened a year ago and I took it in to get checked. The mechanic told me that my computer module was dirty and he cleaned it. She worked fine...now a year later, rain again and this time it seemed to be worst than the last.

Any help is appreciated! I spent lot of money on her in the last 18 months - almost $10K in repairs/maint.
1. Replaced cracked flex plate $2400.
2. Replaced fluids: steering wheel & transmission - air filter
3. Replaced accessory belts
4. Replaced Rubber 'O' ring that seals the oil pan - $1500 (10 hours labor)
5. Replaced battery
6. Replaced Coolant resevior
7. Replaced several hoses
8. Replaced Driver side handle (to open the door from the inside)

I'm tired of fixing her Hope it's nothing big ~ thanks for any help

Old 12-13-2011, 06:25 AM
Received 161 Likes on 56 Posts

I'll let someone else do the eye poking today...

On to the fix...

Stop going to that tech. You have a bad connection, cracked part, or lose part in the engine bay that’s letting water get where it's not supposed to. Your tech either got lucky, (the part dried out) or he cleaned, (and dried) the part that got wet. This is common, so do some searching on here and you will get much more detailed information. Please do this AFTER the newbie stuff you clearly bypassed.

P.S. Sorry to hear about all the money so far... being a member on here has saved me MUCH cash already. So stick around, you'll like the rewards.

The following users liked this post:
Cnellie (12-13-2011)
Old 12-13-2011, 08:00 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

You didn't say anything, but did you have the windshield replaced recently? Someone else on the list did and reported that water leaks were affecting the ECU behind the glove box.
================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons

Cnellie (12-13-2011)
Old 12-13-2011, 01:24 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,842 Likes on 3,159 Posts

Cnellie, your problem is a loose plug to the ECU. The ECU is located at the base of the windshield on the passenger side. If you open the hood and then lift the black plastic tray up that runs on to the windshield, you will see a computer module there. That is your ECU. The easy fix is to get some non-conductive di-electric grease and put that isnide of the plug. This will help keep the water out of the plug and prevent you from having issues in the future. Granted, the long term fix is to see what is wrong with the plug and figure out why the water is getting in and fix that.

Cnellie (12-13-2011)
Old 12-24-2011, 09:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

my car (any many others) had an issue just like yours. The issue was the TCU (transmission control module). it gets water on it from god knows where. it is located near your left foot under the dash. i took mine out and cleaned it with rubbing alcohol. it fixed it for a week and then went bad again.

I went and got a new TCU and replaced it. it worked perfect ever since. i never did figure out where the water is coming from, so i wrapped the new TCU in a freezer bag to protect it from future damage.