X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Key is hard to turn - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 04:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My Key is hard to turn - HELP!

When turning the key in the ignition, there's quite a bit of resistance. On many occasions, my fiance can take up to 10 minutes just to get it turned. Of course, I have it down to a science and I can do it everytime, but what causes this? What can I do to solve the problem? I tried WD-40, and I think that may have made it worse.

Any ideas?

Old 09-11-2007, 04:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts
Default RE: My Key is hard to turn - HELP!

Don't quote me but my guess is that master cylinder might be shot .I think you should go to the dealer otherwise the problem might be worse more than good

Old 09-12-2007, 01:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd say get automatic start. Problem solved. Lol. JK.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Only problem is that to drive the car away you generally have to put the key in and turn the ignition to running...hey spartan I grabbed some 3in1 lube and lubed mine up about a month or 2 ago now...I was having the same problem...haven't relubed it yet and it works fine...what yours is doing is just like when you lock the steering wheel and insert the key it feels like that but it won't turn at all??? Anyways lube it up lube the key play with it...a day later it is good as new...unless you have a different problem! The thing I'm running into is that sometimes the door that closes on the ignition stays open which wont let you lock the car...than you have to re-insert the key and pull the key back out and than your golden....

Old 09-12-2007, 06:53 PM

ORIGINAL: aquill1

Only problem is that to drive the car away you generally have to put the key in and turn the ignition to running...hey spartan I grabbed some 3in1 lube and lubed mine up about a month or 2 ago now...I was having the same problem...haven't relubed it yet and it works fine...what yours is doing is just like when you lock the steering wheel and insert the key it feels like that but it won't turn at all??? Anyways lube it up lube the key play with it...a day later it is good as new...unless you have a different problem! The thing I'm running into is that sometimes the door that closes on the ignition stays open which wont let you lock the car...than you have to re-insert the key and pull the key back out and than your golden....
What is the exact name of the lube you're using? I used WD-40 and it made it worse, lol.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:07 PM

My problem may be a little different. My problem is getting the key to turn from the initial position, to the on position. Once I get it turned, it's fine. But lately i've been catching hell trying to get the damn thing to turn to the on position.

Any ideas?

Old 09-12-2007, 07:41 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah its like when you lock the steering wheel into place...when you try to start the car the steering wheel has to unlock before the key will turn farther...mine did the same thing you are describing....you try to turn it to start it and it won't go anywhere and it feels like your about to break the key off, right? Here's a pic of the stuff I used...they actually have lock specific graphite lube as well but I just tried this stuff...bought the whole 8 oz bottle for just a couple of drops...usually party stores and small grocery stores have it right at checkout...don't mind the pic either its from my phone...

[IMG]local://upfiles/674/4C42303111264916A6DA5D421E2E9B6B.jpg[/IMG]

Oh yeah and the other problem I'm having since the lube is the door to the where you insert the key/ignition it stays open which doesn't allow you to lock the doors because it thinks the key is still in the ignition...next time while you are inserting the key into the ignition you will know what I'm talking about...

The following users liked this post:
Mountaineer (10-07-2016)
Old 09-13-2007, 04:00 AM
Veteran Member

What a smart stuff it is

Old 09-13-2007, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member

You use it?

Old 09-13-2007, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member

I don't more correctly havent't used but a friend of mine too talked quite well about the stuff you mentioned

Old 09-13-2007, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member

The bottle I bought will more than likely last the rest of my life too! Bottle I got is huge but I couldn't find a smaller one!

Old 09-13-2007, 10:07 PM
Veteran Member

NO!!! I'm pretty sure the only thing that has changed is the bottle...from metal to plastic now! Bet the original bottles have a very similar/bland styling which is all good as long as the product works...kind of like wd-40 can't say that has ever changed since I've known the stuff in my 22 years of living...

Old 09-14-2007, 01:18 AM

Well I called the dealer and they said I need an ignition tumber. Apparently, this is something that wears out over time. It costs about $300 with part and labor, and I get 2 new keys, which I need anyway.

I'll probably get it done soon. For now, I used some boat gear grease, and it helped a little . Couldn't find the 3-in-one and I wanted to get back so I could finish fitting my HID's.

Old 09-14-2007, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member

I'd just try the grease or lube or oil before spending the 300 big ones spartan...more than likely that is the only problem...kind of hard to believe that it already went bad!!! This is kind of irritating if you ask me...the freaking inside of their should last more than 5 years!

Old 09-14-2007, 06:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  cars.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  7.4 KB

Gotta agree with Bo........It sounds like your smelling what they're shovellin.[sm=bs.gif]
I've known quite a few older cars that have never had that problem!

Jim

Old 09-14-2007, 09:07 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah I'm with you bo thats why I said its irritating that they'd even feed that crap to people! Probably because most people driving jags get fed those lines day in and day out and just want the problem fixed...300 bucks later you never find out all they did was grab a container of the 3in1 I used and pocketed the other 299.98 because it only took .02 cents worth of the lube to fix the problem! My freaking 94 ford f150 was in 6+ car accidents with my dad and the last one totalled the truck and there was never a problem with the ignition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is hilarious! I understand jags are high maintenance but come on! That is a joke!

Old 09-17-2007, 08:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I worked for a locksmith for 6.5 years and I can tell you that our ignitions are a lot different than any BMW ignition. We have a very advanced circular tumbler high security ignition. They are very similar to Abloy keys (which are a commercial high security key used to prevent unauthorized key duplication.) If you have lubricated your lock cylinder and still have problems with the ignition sticking I would defiantely have it replaced.

If one of the circular tumblers is damaged it will degrade to the point of not functioning- then it will cost more to replace. Removing the ignition is easy if the key still turns, much more difficult when locked up. Once the ignition locks up, Jaguar will more than likely charge you more labor as it will have to be drilled to remove it.

$300 parts and labor including two keys is a great deal. It is a lot of money but a lot less than if you wait until its completely broken. Figure two keys alone would be ~$150-200 from the dealer. For double the price of keys you get a new high-security transponder ignition. Unlike older Mercedes and BMW, Jaguar has a high security electronic & mechanical ignition. BMW & Merc. only have high security electronics in their ignitions, the mechanical parts are far from high security. Anyone can pick a BMW or Mercedes ignition in a matter of seconds.

Old 09-17-2007, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member

Good to know tokyo...actually keys for my x-type were 150 a piece! 300 is cheap for 2 keys and the ignition tumber thingy....but first I'd try the lube as I stated its very cheap...it worked for me and I hardly used any lube in it...

Quick Reply: My Key is hard to turn - HELP!