X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My X-Type

Old 08-01-2011, 12:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My X-Type

Hello everyone, I have been following these forums for some time now and finally decided to join them looking for some feedback. I decided to take my car off the road for the coming winter in order to do the following modifications:

Mina Side Skirts
Mina Front Lip- Is it hard to put on?
Borla Exhaust System
Spoiler ( Brand and Model is undecided, looking for ideas, something big!)
Lower Profile Tires in the front
Carbon Fiber Interior instead of wood
Finish Amp Rack
Fiberglass plate for inverted Sub
Fiberglass pillars with gauges

I do not know if it is immaturity ( I am 18) or just my taste but I want this car to have a fast and furious look. I do not plan on racing it or anything like that but I just rather have that then a luxury or 'baller' looking car.

Any feedback on what I have done so far or on what I plan to do then please tell me!

Cheers

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 08-01-2011, 01:03 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Klimowicz
Mina Side Skirts
Not really, if you have experience with body work and a buddy to help you out. If not, I'd suggest having a body shop do it.

Borla Exhaust System
Spoiler ( Brand and Model is undecided, looking for ideas, something big!)
Really? A big spoiler? What for...? This car isn't fast enough to need the kind of downforce a big rear wing would give. Matter of fact, all the drag will end up slowing you down.

Lower Profile Tires in the front
Your car will look stupid and your speedometer will be off.

Carbon Fiber Interior instead of wood
Look up threads by exexpat. He wrapped his interior in carbon fiber vinyl. Or you can go the expensive route and try to source the actual OEM carbon fiber dash pieces (good luck).

Finish Amp Rack
Fiberglass pillars with gauges
Gauges for what? Are you putting in gauges just for the sake of having gauges? Just something else to look at and distract you from driving?

I do not know if it is immaturity ( I am 18)
Yes.

or just my poor taste but I want this car to have a fast and furious look.
Fixed.

I do not plan on racing it or anything like that but I just rather have that then a luxury or 'baller' looking car.
You kind of picked the wrong car then... You'd be better off trading it in for a Civic or Integra if that's the look you're into.

Any feedback on what I have done so far or on what I plan to do then please tell me!
About half that list sounds OK, half of it sounds awful. Welcome to the forum!

The following users liked this post:
QuintonChester (08-01-2011)
Old 08-01-2011, 02:00 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Seriously. No I would not do anything to it. Cost wise it is not worth a damn thing as it is. You are throwing money down the drain. Either buy a newer one an XF or XK or some other make.

It does not make sense to do anything but maybe some exterior mods. It will not help resale it is in the toilet on these...

Old 08-01-2011, 05:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Or buy a 2005 or newer Sport model that already has the body kit, carbon fiber alcantara interior, premium stereo, boot spolier and 18" wheels with 40 series tires. Then all you would need are the Borlas. Done. And you wouldn't have to take it off the road all winter. Actually having an X in winter is one of its strengths. In the winter it IS fast and furious, at least compared to a lot of cars.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:55 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Do whatever you wish. It's your car, and you need it to make you feel comfortable. It you want to go that route, go for it.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 126 Likes on 114 Posts

AWD and 4x4 vehicles need to have the same size tires on all 4 corners, changing this setup will cause transfer case problems.

Other than that...personalize your car however makes you happy...congrats on starting so young....you'll make plenty of mistakes, but thats how you learn.

When you drive a custom car, be prepared for critism. People are too eager to comment negatively, don't let others views stop you from doing something you think you may like.

just my 2c

Old 08-02-2011, 11:41 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ufoz8mycow

Look up threads by exexpat. He wrapped his interior in carbon fiber vinyl. Or you can go the expensive route and try to source the actual OEM carbon fiber dash pieces (good luck).

OEM Carbon Fiber from Gaudin Jaguar. I believe the Carbon Fiber is for the front console only and not the door inserts. Not sure if there are OEM Carbon fiber door inserts (if yes, you'll find it here).

Price doesn't seem overly expensive to me.

Direct JPLV Porsche Parts.com

Old 08-02-2011, 11:45 AM

I recall someone here had put black rims on a white X Type and the fashion police was out in force. However, around here you see plenty of white cars with black rims - I've seen Acura TL's, Mini's, BMW 3, 5 and 6 series, Infinity G class among others sport black rims on white cars. Didn't look bad to me at all!

I have to admit that personally I haven't seen a car look nice with high tail wing (not even the WRX STi)...but it is what it is. I guess IF you did go with a high tail then it might make sense to remove the leaper from up front. Also, tint the windows really really really dark

Old 08-02-2011, 02:13 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by iownme
AWD and 4x4 vehicles need to have the same size tires on all 4 corners, changing this setup will cause transfer case problems.
Wrong.

There are a million different AWD cars out there that have staggered wheel and tire setups from the factory and a bunch of us (ok maybe not a bunch, but a few) with X Types and staggered wheel/tire setups and no transfer case problems. This sounds like one of those old wives' tales similar to the "wheel spacers will ruin your car" myth.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:48 PM

Wrong.

There are a million different AWD cars out there that have staggered wheel and tire setups from the factory and a bunch of us (ok maybe not a bunch, but a few) with X Types and staggered wheel/tire setups and no transfer case problems. This sounds like one of those old wives' tales similar to the "wheel spacers will ruin your car" myth.
Even in black and white the wheels on your x type look great! That's what I would go for if I were updating wheels

Old 08-03-2011, 01:04 PM

Not really, if you have experience with body work and a buddy to help you out. If not, I'd suggest having a body shop do it.

Really? A big spoiler? What for...? This car isn't fast enough to need the kind of downforce a big rear wing would give. Matter of fact, all the drag will end up slowing you down.

Your car will look stupid and your speedometer will be off.

Gauges for what? Are you putting in gauges just for the sake of having gauges? Just something else to look at and distract you from driving?

Yes.

Fixed.

You kind of picked the wrong car then... You'd be better off trading it in for a Civic or Integra if that's the look you're into.

Thank you for the feedback. From your post I see that you do not like the idea of a fast and furious look from the car. That is understandable because it is not made for that, it is suppose to demonstrate class. Maybe modifying a 350Z or a Evo would have been a better solution for me but this is the car that my parents gave me and I want to stick with it. I have heard the exhaust on another x-type and it wasn't too loud. I feel that the car will look nice with a touch screen, carbon fibre dash and then fitted gauges into the side pillars.

I also want to note that the trunk, dash inserts, pillars, and the current grill on the car are all spares. The whole plan is to grab seconds from a wrecker and use those. Not for resale but in case I change my mind. I will not sell this car, I plan on driving it to the ground.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you do that and ill come to your house, ring the door bell, and when you open the door kick you in the crotch!!!

Old 08-03-2011, 06:56 PM
Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts

Lot of hate, I personally don't like a lot of the things that you suggested.

Mina Side Skirts
- why not just get the body kit?
Borla Exhaust System - thumbs up, had this on my old jag.
Spoiler ( Brand and Model is undecided, looking for ideas, something big!) - no.
Lower Profile Tires in the front - no.
Carbon Fiber Interior instead of wood - this would look nice, i've seen it done, and it looks great.
Finish Amp Rack
- meh.
Fiberglass pillars with gauges - god no.
I also see that you are talking about getting a touch screen. Here are some things that will make your jag look nicer before you spend the big bucks. I would recommend changing all the interior lights to LEDs, then getting HIDs. I have all of that, plus a touch screen on the inside of my car. Check my thread out and you can see everything on my car I'm also planning on building a cold air intake soon. Good luck with everything.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:49 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Wow, lots of hate in here. If you really think of it the only he wants to do is a few of the same changes a bunch of you have made, plus a spoiler. I don't get the gauges on the pillar, but I could live with it if I had to.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts

Agree. Lay off the poor kid. You do want the same overall diameter for tires front and rear. Striker27, all car mods to non-collector vehicles are like throwing money down the drain, I can still justify it will all the satisfaction I derive from modding mine. Sure, my 2004 is worth about $6k modded, but I don't really care and most people think it is worth more (until they do the research ).

I like many of your ideas, but not all. If you stick to things found on the Mina site, lower it and get some decnt wheels, you will have a nice-looking car. I predict that as with most grand car ideas from recntly licensed drivers, these will fade away once you get an idea of the costs and time involved. If you go through with it, please keep posting progress. Custom X-Types are always welcomed in my book.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by exexpat
Agree. Lay off the poor kid. You do want the same overall diameter for tires front and rear. Striker27, all car mods to non-collector vehicles are like throwing money down the drain, I can still justify it will all the satisfaction I derive from modding mine. Sure, my 2004 is worth about $6k modded, but I don't really care and most people think it is worth more (until they do the research ).

I like many of your ideas, but not all. If you stick to things found on the Mina site, lower it and get some decnt wheels, you will have a nice-looking car. I predict that as with most grand car ideas from recntly licensed drivers, these will fade away once you get an idea of the costs and time involved. If you go through with it, please keep posting progress. Custom X-Types are always welcomed in my book.
Thanks man, I have had the car for two years now. I got it just before I was turning 17 and now I am going on 19. With that, that means that I was driving it in high school. I had to deal with much more ridicule then I have gotten here ( Yes there were positives of that car also). Haters are motivators, all the people that have talked bad about my car or have keyed it, vandalized it, or ripped off the emblem have just made me want to get back on my feet and work on it more.

With regards to time and money. Money is infinite and time is limited. We only live once, when I am 35 I am not going to want to have a car that has a fart tube and looks like its from fast and furious. This is something that you do when your young. As many older X-Type owners know, there is no auxiliary input, so you are stuck with cd's. I myself spent countless hours making that happen in my car. The end product was a REQ-5, a 4 channel 1200 watt amp, 3200 watt mono amp, all on a custom amp rack that is flawless when you pull down the back seats and a custom made box with an inverted 2600 watt sub in the trunk. Over the winter I am building a fiberglass plate to go over the box so it is in sync with the trunk. The feeling that I get to be able to tell people that I did it all myself made it worth every second and penny spent. Its not a bragging feeling either, but just a sense of accomplishment.

QuintonChester, I do have hid's for my headlights and green hid's for my fog lights. I also have interior glow to match the original green glow that the car has.

Old 10-29-2011, 07:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My suggestion would be if you want the fast and furious look (which I started off with wen I was 18 and was a 93 eg civic HB with a b16)....I would look at sum European sport x types...they usually have no chrome body kit like mlna gallery body kit...and sum take the leaper off looks more sport like less bling ....and look up the mina gallery growler grill...rims kinda set the tone for fast and furious look.... my suggestion would be to stick with siler color and and something like a 5 spoke.....good luck on your build!!!!!!!

Old 10-29-2011, 11:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Sleek N Subtle
My suggestion would be if you want the fast and furious look (which I started off with wen I was 18 and was a 93 eg civic HB with a b16)....I would look at sum European sport x types...they usually have no chrome body kit like mlna gallery body kit...and sum take the leaper off looks more sport like less bling ....and look up the mina gallery growler grill...rims kinda set the tone for fast and furious look.... my suggestion would be to stick with siler color and and something like a 5 spoke.....good luck on your build!!!!!!!

The Mina kit is derived from the factory kit. No chrome. Troll and find an outlet for your Internet-induced hate elsewhere.

Here is an X-Type from Sweden with roughly the mods OP has listed. I like it:

Last edited by exexpat; 10-29-2011 at 11:15 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Sleek N Subtle (10-31-2011)
Old 10-30-2011, 09:50 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do what you want to your car...theres always haters, let em hate!! Every forum is the same in this regard. Just do what makes you happy. I try to stay away from the off topic stuff too...people are different, besides i dont know about you but I joined this forum to get information and share what I know about these cars that we all love!
Good luck with your mods and enjoy!