Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My X-type electrical errors

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 03:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My X-type electrical errors

Hi Guys
I have to say I am new to this Forum. I did post this in the wrong place I apologise.
I recently bought a 2004 X-Type Sport D. It had been sitting for some six or seven months on my neighbours drive. Anyway I always wanted one so managed to acquire it.
It needed a little doing to it before going through an MOT namely new brake discs and pads new tyres ETC. Anyway that all done it sailed through the MOT and I have been very pleased with it, but now? Well I have an electrical problem which a Auto Technician couldn't work out.
Light on the dash flash on and the rev counter stops working. This happens intermittent but the car continues to drive ok. When I put a Diagnostic iCarsoft i930 I get the following
Engine Control Module
P0500 Vehicle speed sensor 'A' circuit malfunction
P1260 Security imput / theft detected Vehicle imobilised / theft detected - engine dissabled
P1637 CAN link engine control module ABS control module circuit / network malfunction
U1900 CAN communication BUS fault passive anti theft system
U2202 Invalid configuration data received.
B2141 Non - Volatile memory configuration failure
B1262 Defrost servo motor-circuit failure
B1236 Vent servo motor-circuit failure
B1239 Airflow blend door actuator - circuit failure.
What an introduction to the Jaguar X-Type.
If any one has any ideas I would love to hear them.
thanks

Old 06-26-2017, 10:57 AM
Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

Have you checked the battery and both battery cables? A weak battery or corroded connection can cause all kinds of faults to appear.

The following users liked this post:
Willies (06-28-2017)
Old 06-26-2017, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

+1 on the battery. It is always the first step in troubleshooting a Jaguar.
First use the code reader and clear all of the codes. Then remove and charge the battery, and clean the battery posts and the cable connectors.
Reinstall the battery and start up the engine. With it idling use a digital volt meter and check the battery voltage post to post then check cable connector to cable connector. There should be very little difference if the connections are good. Then check the positive cable at the starter to ground it should read the same voltage as the cable to cable connector.
Once you are sure the cables and connections are all good take it out for a spirited drive and then recheck the codes.
The x-type is known for internal corrosion of the positive cable causing all kinds of gremlins.

The following 2 users liked this post by avern1:
DaveJessop (06-27-2017), Willies (06-28-2017)
Old 06-27-2017, 10:14 AM

Hi All
Thanks for the replies to my thread. I really appreciate all the help.
Now here's the thing. I checked the battery cables and all was fine as far as I could tell following the steps above, but what about this some one said have you checked the battery in you key? Well no I said I lock and unlock the car fine. Put a new battery in it anyway so I did and guess what it has not happened since even although it was happening just before I changed it. Has anyone come up with this before or am I just clutching at straws. I suppose time will tell. We shall wait and see.

Old 06-27-2017, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

If you are talking about the battery in your key fob, that has nothing to do with any of the codes or other issues you posted. Am guessing it is just a coincidence and think it is a matter of time before your issues start up again. Sorry.

Willies (06-28-2017)
Old 06-27-2017, 02:43 PM

Hi Alfadude
Your probably right. I have been out for a long run today with it and found it more responsive and no errors
We Hope it is cured but we'll just have to wait and see

Old 06-27-2017, 09:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Willes I think following the steps outlined and tossing in a new battery you most likely have resolved your issues. The x-type like any Jag is so dependent on a good solid battery and connections, that the slightest deviation in voltage drives the electronics bonkers.
Happy Motoring

Willies (06-28-2017)
Old 06-28-2017, 03:34 PM

I don't know if the new key fob battery was the answer but it is now 3 days since I have had any faults. I put a brand new battery in the car when I got it so after checking out the cables from the battery which as I said were all fine I put it into a auto technician who was not able to fix it other the to say
"It could be this, it could be that. It will take hours and a lot of money to find and fix it. Is it really worth it?"
Needless to say he charged me for his time £90.
In the end it was my daughter who said that she had the very same problem with her Cleo and they said that the key fob was the cause before charging her £150 for a new one. It has been fine since. Thank goodness it only cost me a couple of quid for a new battery for my key fob and as I said that's three days with no problems. It may not have been the cause as Alphadude said but it is looking more and more like it was the cause.
So there is another possible fix for the forum. I will keep my eye on it and if it comes back I will let you all know.
Thank All!

Last edited by Willies; 06-28-2017 at 03:39 PM.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:49 PM
Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Did you clean the cable terminal clamps when you check the battery cables, may be they were a little dirty and loose before, now after check them you tight them up, they get better connection and problems are solved.

Old 06-30-2017, 05:59 AM

Done both Thanks