X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my X-type is over heating

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 09:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post my X-type is over heating

My X-type 2002, keep over heating. The fan kicks on when is pass the half way mark on the gauge, it have coolant in it, and it's not leaking. Anyone knows whats going on? Any ideas, need help.

Last edited by Moshu-Jaguar; 05-14-2010 at 09:25 PM.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:33 PM
Any suggestions? I tired switching to water, and that didn't work. I will say I see some air bubbles that raise in the tank, but I don't see leaks when I place more liquid in the tank (when it over heats coolant or water level decrease). also my battery just died. Could a weak battery play a part?

Old 05-15-2010, 12:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do your fans kick on after it begins to overheat? Because they are suppose to regulate the temperature and keep it halfway between H and C. I have the same problem with mines and it turned out to be the fan control module which I have found on these forums is a common problem.

Old 05-15-2010, 05:43 AM

yes, the fan kicks on before it over heat. The first time it happened the car was idle..., I was changing the headlight, after coming in from work.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:24 AM

Could it be my Thermostat? Where is it located on the engine?

Old 05-15-2010, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Moshu-Jaguar
Could it be my Thermostat? Where is it located on the engine?

in the front of the engine next to the CAT below the water pump its in a black plastic line , its easy to remove from the bottom.

if its not that then its the Heads............good luck!

Head Gasket HEADS: do you notice the water/anti level dropping ?? Water in your oil?? lift your oil fill cap and look under it, do you see sluggish substance ??? these heads warp very easy due to there cheap made head bolts that stretch a little to much then it has to under heat.

Last edited by jonre; 05-15-2010 at 06:10 PM.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:51 PM
Default I figured it out.

Thank you for your replys. Shortly after me last post, I randomly stop by Autozone to buy more coolant and the guy there suggested that I check the thermostat. I went back home and found out where it was located, and found out that you can just remove it until I can buy another one. As mentioned in the article, the works fine and its alot cooler. I just have to make sure I replace it before the weather get cooler, because the car will have a hard time warming up.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:00 AM
ud
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Thank you for your replys. Shortly after me last post, I randomly stop by Autozone to buy more coolant and the guy there suggested that I check the thermostat. I went back home and found out where it was located, and found out that you can just remove it until I can buy another one. As mentioned in the article, the works fine and its alot cooler. I just have to make sure I replace it before the weather get cooler, because the car will have a hard time warming up.

No you can't just remove the thermostat. The t-stat actually slows the passage of fluid through the system which helps it to absorb more heat. By removing it your sensor might be reading a lower temp but you actually might have a hotter engine. Until you replace it I wouldn't be driving the car. That is unless you need to make a boat payment for your mechanic!

Old 05-17-2010, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Is your car actually overheating or is your gauge just acting up? The temp gauge on this car isn't exactly the cream of the crop.....

Old 05-18-2010, 08:07 PM

I ordered the t-stat, and it should be here shortly, but now my fan won't turn over. after taking out the t-stat everything ran fine, now it's over heating again. I'm about to check the fuse for the fan. Any thoughts?

Old 05-18-2010, 09:18 PM
ud

As I said, you should never run an engine without the T-stat!

Old 05-18-2010, 09:19 PM

I took out the t-stat, until I the replacement come in the mail, and that seemed to fix the problem until I can put the new one in. But now the cooling fan is not kicking on. I've tried turning on the AC to "low" for 5 mins. to see if the fan kicks on but it doesn't now. Someone mentioned about checking the fuse, but I'm not sure which one is the correct one since I see some for the fan and others for the AC. Also how can you tell if a fan module is bad?

Last edited by Moshu-Jaguar; 05-18-2010 at 11:25 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:49 PM
ud

Your coolant is likely going through the engine too quickly to absorb the heat from the engine. You are likely doing major damage to your engine if you continue to run it without a thermostat. Don't worry about the fan at this point it is the least of your problems. Not knowing how the x type is set up but knowing how most cars are set up, your fan is controlled by a thermo switch on the radiator itself, the temp gauge is controlled by a seperate thermo switch probably on the return line. You are likely not getting the collant hot enough to turn the fan off but your engine is getting plenty hot since you're basically running it without coolant!

Old 05-18-2010, 11:27 PM

Sorry I made a correction to that last note..., the fan is not turning on when then is over heating now

Old 05-19-2010, 05:16 AM
ud

Sorry I made a correction to that last note..., the fan is not turning on when then is over heating now

Do you read replys. I explained likely why that would happen without a t stat. I'm so envious of your mechanic right now. I'd suspect he's gonna get himself a real nice boat payement very soon.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:26 AM
Question

At this point there is nothing wrong with the engine. i'm trying to figure out why the fan is not turning on, but I have a few variables. My t-stat is out the car (I'm not driving the car, and the part will be in tomorrow), I just realized that when the fan was working it drained the battery (so, I'm taking it to get recharged today), and I wondering if the fan module is bad. I;m checking all the fan and AC fuses, and so far they are all fine. I did notice when I did the AC test for the fan kicking on, the car seemed like it was trying to start the fan can the lights in the car dimmed and I could hear a click.

So, could the car not have enough juice to kick on the fan since the battery is almost drained? And is there a way to know if the fan module is bad with out replacing it?

Once I get the battery and t-stat installed, hopefully that will solved the fan issue

Old 05-19-2010, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by benebob
Do you read replys. I explained likely why that would happen without a t stat. I'm so envious of your mechanic right now. I'd suspect he's gonna get himself a real nice boat payement very soon.
where do you people come from?? removing the T-stat will not damage your engine. Your fuel mixture will be thrown off but no damage will be caused.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Might be a module. From what I hear a defective fan control module can draw too much amperage from the battery and cause problems there too. Sometimes it will cause a CEL to come on as well. Might want to see if you are getting power to the fan itself

Old 05-19-2010, 02:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jagstar
where do you people come from?? removing the T-stat will not damage your engine. Your fuel mixture will be thrown off but no damage will be caused.
You beat me to the punch..... so basically this guys is saying: that the thermostat gives resistance to the coolant flow and this is what prevents a car from overheating............

Sorry dude that is wrong. The thermostat prevents the coolant from reaching the radiator so it has time to heat up, thus allowing the engine to heat up to operating temp...... so if you remove the thermostat the system will run free flow, allowing all of the coolant to run through the radiator all the time. It does not need to stay in the engine for a certain amount of time to pick up heat..... it is running free flow so cool water is constantly running through the engine therefore the engine will not overheat (except for in this case where the fans will not turn on).

OP- when you removed the thermostat did you replace the coolant? If you didn't this is why your car is overheating and the fans are not turning on. The temp sensor for the fans is measuring AIR which is not a good conductor of heat. So as the engine is heating up the air is not getting hot enought around the sensor so the car thinks it is still cool......

Old 05-19-2010, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Jaguardoc504
You beat me to the punch..... so basically this guys is saying: that the thermostat gives resistance to the coolant flow and this is what prevents a car from overheating............

Sorry dude that is wrong. The thermostat prevents the coolant from reaching the radiator so it has time to heat up, thus allowing the engine to heat up to operating temp...... so if you remove the thermostat the system will run free flow, allowing all of the coolant to run through the radiator all the time. It does not need to stay in the engine for a certain amount of time to pick up heat..... it is running free flow so cool water is constantly running through the engine therefore the engine will not overheat (except for in this case where the fans will not turn on).

OP- when you removed the thermostat did you replace the coolant? If you didn't this is why your car is overheating and the fans are not turning on. The temp sensor for the fans is measuring AIR which is not a good conductor of heat. So as the engine is heating up the air is not getting hot enought around the sensor so the car thinks it is still cool......

totally miss informed !! On a fuel injected system removing the thermo throws of the fuel mixture and giving you poor gas mileage, Hard cold starts. You can run the car for miles without a thermostat.

and when you change a Radiator from a car that ran low on water, sometimes it over heats because the system has air in it and needs to be pressurized to remove air pockets.

* I have the tool if you want to borrow it? * ( needs to be hooked up to a compressor )

Quick Reply: my X-type is over heating