Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nearside (left) Side-Light (parking light) fuse keeps blowing

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 07:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nearside (left) Side-Light (parking light) fuse keeps blowing

Jaguar X-Type 2.2D Auto 2009 117,000

Simply after a week to a month, both front and rear left side lights go out but right side is OK. Checked both bulbs to find a fuse has blown.

Replace fuse and same happens 1 week to a month then fuse blows again.

I guess putting a larger AMP fuse in is pretty dumb. I have checked as much cabling as I can.

Anyone have any ideas or experience of this?

Thanks

Old 07-29-2017, 08:13 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

SEMORGANUK, from what you are describing, you have a wire somewhere that has gotten the insulation rubbed off of it and it makes intermittent contact with the body. This will cause the circuit to pull too much current and blow the fuse. The first place to check is where the wiring harness is going through a body panel. After that, I would pull up the sill plates and see if the wiring has gotten damaged there from something hitting the harness as something got loaded into the car. After that, while it takes time, you are going to have to hand over hand the wiring.

Just to ask a silly question, have you done any wiring modifications to the car (adding extra lights, power port, etc). I only ask this as a lot of vehicles have multiple circuits off of a single fuse and you may have added into the lighting circuit and you have a load on there that is just below the rating of the fuse. Because of this, the fuse will heat up to the point that it will start "wearing" itself out, leading to the fuse blowing. You can see this on older cars that after many years of use, the fuse will suddenly fail for no reason and putting in a new fuse will "fix" the issue and not have it return for a long, long time.

Old 07-29-2017, 08:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Thermo, thanks for your reply. I have had the car from new and no mods have been carried out. I check the wiring over the weekend. thanks