X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 12:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help

i have a 2002 jaguar x-type 3.0 had it for 4 years now love it .i live in Fayetteville.NC having a hard time finding someone in my area that work on jaguars.for the first time a am having a few issues with my car that no one here can help me with.i have a 2002 jaguar x-type awd 3.0 whenever i turn my headlights on my break lights stop working.when i use my cruise control if i turn my signal light on the cruise control; turns off and i have to reset it help please

Old 04-22-2012, 03:37 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

jaetrelle, it is sounding like you have a bulb that is not seated correctly on one of your stop lights. Because your stop light and running lights share a common bulb, if you do not have the bulb correctly positioned, it can short the two together and lead to trouble. I bet if you look closely, either your brake light is not as bright as it should be (ie, the brake light wiring is in touch with the running light post on the bulb) or the running light is super bright (ie, using the stop light filament of the bulb). Another thing that you can check is that when you step on the brake pedal with the headlights off, do the running lights on the front of the car light up dimly? If so, this is just confirming the problem. I would try removing all of the stop light bulbs, making sure that they are not damaged and then re-installing them to see if you still have a problem. If so, then you have some wiring that has gotten crossed up. Done any wiring modifications to the car?

As for the cruise issue. If you look at the base of the steering column, you should see a yellow/green wire coming down out of the steering column. This wire is what feeds a control signal to the ECM for the cruise control. From what you are describing, you have a short between the turn signal stalk wiring and this wire. When you subject the yellow/green wire to 12 VDC, that instructs the ECM to turn off the cruise control. if you are not handy with wiring, then I would recommend taking this to a shop as they can probably locate and fix this issue in a matter of an hour or so. Still run you about $100 to have done, but it will save you a lot of heart ache.