Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help! High Beams won't shut off

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 03:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help! High Beams won't shut off

Just bought my 2002 X-Type 3.0...

My problem is, the high beams are staying on (yes I am a Newb.. Just check my last name)

using the toggle the highbeam notification stays lit, and won't do anything.

Okay, I may sound stupid, but are the Highbeam lights... Are they the inner lights or outter lights? FYI the outter lights are staying on, and nothing else. Including my foglights.. Also, the inner lights are not comming on.

I have not checked fuses as of yet (will be doing this tonight after work). But if anyone has any suggestions, PLEASE feel free to explain them!

Heck, explaing them like you're talking to a 5 year old..

Thanks everyone in advance!~

Old 03-10-2015, 06:29 PM
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Outer ones are low beams. Inner ones have parking lights and high beams in them. To turn on high beams pull left lever towards you all the way (you will feel to steps) and let go, now to turn them off pull it again 2 steps. High beams will only stay on if you have switch in the low beam position, to steps to the right from 0 position. If low beams are on you have a green notification light with 2 lights on it, if high beams are on you have a blue light.

To turn on fog lamps turn the light switch to parking lights or low beams, then pull it towards you. First step is front fog lamps and second one is rear fog lamps. Front has green warning light and rear is orange.

High beams and front fog lamps won't work at the same time.

Old 03-11-2015, 03:45 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

newby, like was mentioned, the outer lights are you low beams (or as the british call them "dip beams"). The inner lights have a 5W running light (which will make it look like they are lit) that will turn on any time the headlight switch is taken out of the OFF position (unless you have DRL, then there are many variations of this). If you turn on your fog lights and they come on, then your high beams (which the british call "main beams") are not on. The high beams and fog lights share a common relay. So, you can only have 1 or the other on unless you have a wiring issue.

With all this being said, I would recommend pulling the fog light relay and seeing if your high beams turn off. If they do, then you have a bad relay or your fog lights do not work and you have a problem internal to the dash.

If the high beams remain on with the fog light relay pulled, then you have a problem most likely internal to one of your headlights and this is causing the high beams to be powered from your low beams (most likely).

If you want to troubleshoot this some more, let me know and I will give you step by step instructions on what needs to be done.

Old 03-11-2015, 08:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank you for your replys

Okay, what I've found is the following:

The two inner lights (High Beams) have been disconnected - looks like it was someone younger that decided that they wanted HID lighing and screwed up. I reconnected these but either the lights themselves are burnt out, or something else went haywire.

even though I reconnected these lights, the high beam notification inside still shows on.

I also found our that when I placed the lights into "Auto". All lighting shuts off (maybe bad sensor?)

Also found that the drivers-side low beam keeps shutting off. Bad job at wiring, as I found two frayed wires that connect to this. The lighting assembly seems broken - as everything (for a better word) jiggles when I am working on these. yes, I am shaking my head at this.

Does anyone know a good place where I can purchase less expensive assemblies? As the cheapest ones I could find were still in the 300-500 per side (used).

Old 03-11-2015, 10:18 AM
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

There are kits sold on ebay with what you can repair your headlights. It's a common problem.

You could check your fuses maybe they are blown.

Old 03-11-2015, 07:48 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

newby, if you need new headlight assemblies (which sounds like will fix a lot of your issues), talk to a member by the name of "Dr dome". He should have what you need and you can go from there. He will be probably about the cheapest that you will find for new headlight assemblies.

The following users liked this post:
anewby67 (03-12-2015)