X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help with my awd

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 03:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default need help with my awd

Every one says that th x type is an awesome AWD car but I am disappointed I bought my 2004 jag x type 3.0. Three months ago and was exited to drive it in the snow knowing it is an awd but when it came to the snow in northern nevada it sucks the rear tires only spun and the front tires did nothing and no lights in the dash board telling me that there is something wrong with the AWD
ANY IDEAS PLEASE HELP

Old 01-17-2011, 07:43 AM
Received 72 Likes on 40 Posts

What brand of snow tires are you running?

Old 01-17-2011, 08:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

I think Gold is right. If you have summer performance tires on your car with even the slightest bit of snow you aren't going anywhere. Same if the tires are badly worn. Plus, even if you do get going having those kind of tires on you won't be able to stop. Having awd doedn't mean squat if you have the wrong tires on. And awd does NOTHING to help you stop.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:31 PM

My tires are not that worn out I don't know the size but it says m+s and that car suck I should of gotten a subaru.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  19.3 KB

Don't think there's anything wrong with the car or the AWD system sest........could be your attitude though, try winter tyres!

Old 01-18-2011, 10:34 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

The lack of viscous coupling and ECU change in the 2004's+
I could have driven through the snow like a mack truck in my 2002 x-type even with SUMMER tires!!! (in fact i did one winter! )

i now have a 2006, do this: buy snow tires..... it's AMAZING.
I leave every stoplight on a hill faster than ANYONE!

Old 01-22-2011, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by sest1412
rear tires only spun and the front tires did nothing
sest1412 are you sure the fronts are doing nothing? here is why I ask....

During a test drive of an X I found a snowy parking lot to "test" the awd. As I turned into the lot I gassed it a little bit to get the tires spinning and the rear kicked out just like a rear wheel drive car. It acted like there was no front drive. Quite a surprise since I was expecting some pull from the front. I questioned wether it was functioning and even posted some ??'s on a forum. Later in a 2nd drive I tried things a little differently, from a standing start in new snow on top of hardpack snow I gassed it going straight and got the fronts to spin. Even though I could tell the fronts spun the car still feels like a rear wheel drive car so...

Drive it accordingly in snow especially if you are used to a front wheel drive car or a 4X4 truck. Tires WILL make a difference in how the car feels as well. I know this story from both sides of that isle.

I will take my X over my FWD car in the snow anyday.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in Alaska and we got about 8 inches of snow overnight last night. I decided to take my 02 X-type, to Anchorage (about 40 miles). She drove like a dream, even on the roads that were not plowed yet. I love it!!!!

Old 01-23-2011, 12:27 AM
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm in a similar position to you Sest in so far as I got my X a few months back and I was really looking forward to seeing how it went in the snow - unlike you however, I've found it to be awesome!!!!! Totally surefooted. Our X does however have a fresh set of winter tyres and like the others have said, tyres can make a huge difference to any car -

Last winter with our NC MX5 we delayed swapping over to winters until after the first snowfall and handling became pretty marginal ........... took it for a spin down to the tyre shop pronto, brown trousers and all, and with the right tyres the MX transforms into a good laugh in the snow.

As a snow car, the X is obviously in a different league to the MX. Not sure about Subaru - maybe you need a Caterpillar.......

Old 01-25-2011, 04:01 PM

I took my x to the mechanic to check out the awd and said that it was working but idk I have to wait until it snows again to test the JAG thanks for the help guys.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:43 PM
Banned
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

So 7 people mention WINTER TIRES . and you say you have some sorta tire that says m+s. m+s is for all season tires, not proper winter tires. The advice is VERY specific, telling you that for SNOW you need winter tires. Some call them snow tires, but be careful, dont confuse the "s" in m+s for snow tires. they need to be dedicated SNOW?WINTER tires.

I am surprised that you have not responded to the advice of everyone.... why wait for more snow, it will still have crappy traction with the wrong tires.!!!

Old 01-26-2011, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

I will echo what everyone else says.

I am in Canada, granted on the west coast so less snow, but we have snow, and hills, lots of them, big enough to ski on and my commute in the snow is 30+ miles. What I'm getting at is I would know of what I speak.

All season tires (M&S) after you have them on your car for 2 years all year, in the Nevada heat are now officially summer tires. You could be in a Sherman tank running summer tires in the snow and would get stuck. On my commute in snow other than the ASSHATS I see in 2WD cars with 5 year old summer tires sliding backwards down a 10 degree hill are 4WD trucks, obviously with old all seasons who have lost control and plowed into a median or something. I have snow tires, mounted on awful looking steel rims, and I can almost drive stright up a vertical incline. I have complete control and having owned a YJ, a TJ, a WJ, and a Liberty in addition to a LR Discovery all with all season tires the X is better with snows than all of them were with all seasons. I had snows for the Discovery and it is a clear winner in anything 4WD but the X is a very close second for regular driving.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in the Adirondacks here in New York. Have already seen 50+ inches of snow this year. YOU NEED SNOW TIRES. Does not matter what type of car, truck, or SUV you have. I even have snow tires on my Land Rover. If you put some good snow tires on the Jag it will handle like it is on rails. I use Bridgestone Blizzak's.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:44 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

im suprised you arent happy with the jag awd...my girl has 4 preformance snow tires on hers, i forget what brand and model off hand, but it drives amazing in all conditions.
seriously consider some snow tires..
maybe you were just on ice? was the traction control lighting up? i think its called DSC on the jag.
i havent driven a subaru in the snow but i believe the have a similar power distribution, but probably a LOT better for offroad rally racing lol

Old 01-27-2011, 05:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 on everyone saying to run different tires. We have had a ton of snow here in the NE(New York) and my 04 X has not failed me yet. I am running Goodyear all season tires and they perform excellent.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:19 PM
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I bought a set of Bridgestone 18" summer tires shortly after buying my 05 X and thought I'd be ok for a winter or two with the AWD. I discovered very quickly that the car, with DSC on, handled better than any car/jeep I've owned on ice. But 1" of snow literally stopped it in its tracks. A summer tread just can't cope with snow, it's like having bald tires.

All-Season tires are really only good in rain. They aren't meant for summer traction or winter traction. Basically, All-Season means the tires suck just as bad all year... Jack of all trades, master of none.

So the next winter I bought a set of 16" Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D's and cheap (decent looking alloy) wheels. I bought 16's because for snow you want a narrow tire with aggressive tread. A winter tire is also made from a different compound which lends itself to freezing temps while the outer layers were scientifically developed to grip snow using microscopic pockets. This also means if you leave them on your car during warm dry weather, they won't last long.

Fast forward 3 years and my Dunlop's still look and perform like brand new. I install them around October and remove them by April. The ride is a LOT smoother than the 18's but handle just as well when dry. They also aren't any louder than the summer tires. Wet traction is superior too. But the true difference is in the snow. The X handles better than any of the three 4x4 Jeeps I've owned. The only thing missing is ground clearance. But for most people, if the snow is up to the rockers, you shouldn't be driving anyway.

Bottom line: Buy some real winter tires. You'll smack your forehead and never utter the word Subaru again.

Old 01-28-2011, 04:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

looks like our newb decided to pack it in and get the Subaru after all. Either that or he realized when every member of the board tells him what he already should know, snow tires are good in snow and even better if you add AWD.......

Old 01-29-2011, 02:42 AM

I drove my x in the snow again and I floor it to the max and no traction on the front tires I don't know what to do give me something guys I also got winter tires and nothing.

Old 01-29-2011, 06:16 AM
Banned
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

please go and study how differentials work.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by sest1412
I drove my x in the snow again and I floor it to the max and no traction on the front tires I don't know what to do give me something guys I also got winter tires and nothing.
What happens when you try to start off without flooring it and use the accelerator in a more...how should I put this...in a more prudent fashion?

Just curious, what brand and type of winter tires did you get

Quick Reply: need help with my awd