X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need to know where this vac hose goes

Old 01-14-2015, 06:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need to know where this vac hose goes

Greetings all,
I have a jaguar x type that has recently been placed back on the road after a somewhat sever accident.
The damage was extensive enough so that the engine had to be pulled back out and placed back in.
Not too long after being back on the road check engine light came on and a scan revealed lean bank 1 and 2 faults. Leading me to believe there may be a vac leak somewhere.
Car is a 2009 2.1 x type.
Only done around 50,000km.
After clearing fault code car drives perfectly fine until CEL randomly comes on again and makes the engine unsuitable past 3000rpm
Reset fault codes and she's good yet again.
Anyway I have had some time to try to identify the problem, I've done a bit of experimenting and found that the brake pedal gets dangerously stiff (unresponsive) when the engine is under load.
Example if the engine is being accelerated with cruise control and is at 4000rpm the brake pedal. Won't budge.

So went to the vaccume hoses around the brake booster to see if I've got any cracks on the hoses or check valves like many other fellow x type owners have reported.
All seemed good. Until I came across a hose coming from a t piece that leads to nothing, it's been disconnected by someone and never placed back in its place with the engine running it's contacted sucking air.
Spent all day trying to Find a diagram of the set up to figure out where it goes.

Can anybody help?

Old 01-14-2015, 06:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are some photos showing the hose coming from the T piece and leading to nothing!

Here you can see the fault codes it throws every now and again:

Here is a photo I came across online that I believe shows the piece I am referring to, everything else from the brake booster to manifold and vac pump are hooked up, just need to know where that long hose goes!

Last edited by kmeh7; 01-14-2015 at 07:12 PM.
Old 01-15-2015, 01:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts

Trouble is there aren't too many 2.1 owners that use this forum and as that vac hose system is a bit different to that in the 2.5 and 3.0 engines!

If you look at the firewall in that area, there is a small electrical unit on the firewall that is the evaporative emissions canister purge valve. It should has two vacuum hose connections, one above the other. If there's a spare stub pipe there, that is surely your target!

Old 01-15-2015, 11:12 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Kmeh7,

I have a 2004 2.1L Estate, Auto FWD, RH Drive. I just took a look at my car, and have the same vacuum hoses, Ts, connectors, etc. as in the picture you provided.

That hose connects to something under the battery box on my car. Looking from the top back side of the battery box, the hose looks to be going in the direction somewhere near to where the horns are mounted. There are clips to hold that hose and another hose in place at the back bottom edge of the battery box.

I don't have time to pull the battery and battery box, or jack it up to see if I can see more specifically today. Hope this helps you. Thanks to this forum.

Last edited by mikeb; 01-15-2015 at 11:29 PM.