X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need your help making a decision

Old 04-21-2012, 08:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need your help making a decision

I have a Jag xk8, problem is, cats HATE snow, except, maybe, an AWD X type?
Yep, I need to buy a snow worthy car that is excellent for long trips, as we travel a lot, and desire comfort. That said, to all that own one, what year would you recommend. I am thinking a 2004? any thoughts. Thanks in advance guys/gals.

Old 04-21-2012, 10:35 PM
Received 72 Likes on 40 Posts

If you decide on a 2004 or newer, make sure it has Traction Control. If it does there will be a button to disable it just forward of the cup holders. If you see three slots (for coins) in that position, the car does not have traction control.

The following users liked this post:
savedbyHim (04-22-2012)
Old 04-22-2012, 06:36 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,820 Likes on 3,141 Posts

Saved, I am going to ask a few other questions that may open up a different path for you.

1) When you travel, do you see yourself bringing more than yourself (yourself and your wife)?
2) Do you like to work around the yard and need a vehicle that would handle heavier/dirtier jobs?
3) When travelling, do you find yourself running out of room in your vehicle?

If you are answering yes to these questions, getting an X-Type may not be the best choice. You may want to look into something like say an SUV. While the AWD system of an X-Type is very capable and will get you through a lot of stuff, even a mid size SUV is going to do it much easier with a more reliable drivetrain. If you are desiring creature comforts, do not rule out the SUVs. If you look into say the Lincoln Aviator (midsize luxury SUV), that will have all the comforts of an X-Type plus some, tons of room, and the ability to put a trailer behind it for the dirty jobs (unless you are like me and have no problem putting bags of mulch and whatnot in the cargo area, but I also own a Ford Expedition).

While the X-Type is a nice vehicle, I think you may find it a little "lacking" when stepping down from the XK. Besides, something has to be said about ground clearance when traveling in the snow. I find with cars that ground clearance is my major hang up, not whether the vehicle has AWD or not. But, I also grew up in the north. So, driving in the snow was a necessity and you learned young how to do it.

If this is sounding like a better option, let me know. I can help you make a logical decision. The other thing that I would ask may sound obvious, but a lot of people skip over it: After a day of being out in a snowy place, are you wanting to drag all sorts of snow and grime into the interior of a nice vehicle? Face it, when in a snowy area, you will get snow and whatnot into the vehicle. Is this something you want to subject a nice vehicle to? Between your boots, skis, etc, it can destroy the interior of a vehicle.

savedbyHim (04-22-2012)
Old 04-22-2012, 11:30 AM

Hey Thermo, Yeh, I already have an expedition el, and love it, fantastic in the snow as well as on the road. However, at 16 mpg, no thanks, I keep it lpcal. In my work, I haul a lot of kids so I use it. We do not get that much snow to worry about ground clearance, and my wife works at the hospital which is cleared. So tracking in/out of car is not an issue. The only passenger we carry on our trips is our dog, which will fit nicely in the back of an X type. Also, one of our friends here has a 2003 X type, and we used it on a 1700 mile trip, it is no lincoln, but If I remember right, did ok, we plan to borrow it again, and this time pay more attention to the ride. It had the smaller engine, so we will be looking at the larger engine if we go this route. I am really wondering what year is the best as well. We were looking at a volvo s80, as we had two volvos in the past, however, it appears the s80 was the worst model volvo ever made, oh well. Thanks again all for your help.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:49 AM
Veteran member

Saved, from the sounds of it, then the X-Type will do what you want. As for motor selection, I have to say from what I have read here, yes, you do want the 3.0L motor. You do not have to rev it to get decent take off's.

When it comes to what year X-Type, I have 2 arguments that you will have to weigh and see which is more important to you. In discussions with the members here that have owned both 02-03 X-Types and the 04+ ones, 2 big differences exist:

1) toys: This is your MP3 ability in the radio, blue tooth capability, etc. In short, the newer the car, the more bells and whistles like this that you are going to get. So, if this is high on your list, then the newer you can go, the better.

2) transfer case: if you are really concerned with traction, the 02-03's seem to split the power better in low traction conditions than the 04+ ones do. Does it make the car undriveable. By no means. But, it also makes a difference if you have a driver that is not sure of how to drive in the snow with a vehicle that has all 4 wheels pulling.

Not to rule out the Volvo, but keep in mind that during the timeframe that you are looking in (02-06), Volvo and Jaguar were both owned by Ford. So, they are going to share a lot of things between them. They will not be identical, but there are some pieces that cross over. So, now you are looking at whether the Volvo or the Jag has more of what you are wanting out of the car. The Volvo may be slightly better for the pooch since you can more easily find a Volvo Stationwagon vice a Jag Estate (has the same raised rear section).

savedbyHim (04-22-2012)
Old 04-22-2012, 11:58 AM

Hey Thermo, thanks again, we really are leaning toward the Jag, just like the looks/feel inside/out better than the Volvo. We do not care about blue tooth etc... just thought a little newer might be nicer, but, if you think the 2003 is better as far as power to the ground equally, that is very important. Does the 04 not power all four wheels?

Old 04-22-2012, 03:42 PM
Veteran member

Saved, in 04, jaguar went to a different style transfer case with the intention of resolving a transfer case flexing issue (leading to its failure). The 02-03 cases have a viscous coupling in them that controls the power front and rear. The 04+ ones do not have this coupling (they use a different setup and how that works is escaping me at the moment). So, the 04+ vehicles are more of a 10/90 setup until the wheels start slipping and then it transfers power. Where the 02-03 cars maintain the 40/60 split pretty much all the time. Not as much power to any one wheel, the traction is maintained easier.

Please keep in mind that none of the X-TYpes power all 4 wheels. Due to the open differentials, you are going to spin 2 tires (1 in the front, 1 in the rear) whenever you have a complete loss of traction. You would have to modify the car to get back to even 3 wheels needing to slip before the 4th lost all power. But, that is a different story all together.

savedbyHim (04-22-2012)
Old 04-22-2012, 04:29 PM

So Thermo, is the majority of the power to the front, or to the rear wheels? And would the 04 be good on icy roads?

Old 04-22-2012, 07:45 PM

Never mind Thermo, that was a dumb question, 40 front 60 rear, just as you posted, sorry, and many thanks, looks like the 03 is best for my purposes.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:49 PM

There is a bit of misinformation here, the power distribution for all years of X-Type is 40/60, front-to-rear.

The difference is the viscous coupling used through '03. Starting in '04 the transfer case is essentially just another open differential like the front and back diffs.

This means that if you have an '04 or newer; when all four wheels have good contact with the road, all four wheels will receive varying amounts of power based on the 40/60 split.

The problem is when any one of the four wheels breaks loose from the road surface. Since all of the differentials are non-locking (open), the slipping wheel will get ALL the power. This is the same behavior you get in a two wheel drive vehicle with an open diff, the wheel that loses traction gets the power and you remain stuck as long as that wheel continues to spin freely.

This is why it is important to make sure an '04 or newer is equipped with traction control. The traction control will apply the brake to the slipping wheel and allow the AWD system to send the power to one or more of the other three wheels. The traction control will do this rapidly to compensate even if multiple wheels are slipping.

As for performance on ice, my opinion is that any car will perform adequately on ice with the right winter tires.

Last edited by Gold_04_X-Type; 04-22-2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:52 AM
Default Need help

He Gold
Thanks, I would love to put winter tires on but our winters are to unpredictable and short. But when they hit, it is hard for a few days, then is clear again. Last winter, I had to drive my wife to work only about eight days.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 186 Likes on 161 Posts

Saved,
I have both an 97 XK8 and an 07 X Type. I am not an aggressive driver so the X Type is great for our winters in Utah. It gets me where I need to to go.

savedbyHim (04-23-2012)
Old 04-23-2012, 09:23 AM

So, I got to thinking, which brings me to one last question, maybe you, Gold, could answer, or anyone, which would be better for occasional wet icy roads, and surprise icy spots, as well as more dependable and less problematic, an 03, or an 04 with traction control.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:18 AM
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

If you're talking less problematic in general then I think most on this forum would advise purchasing the newest model year you can. Seems, in my experience on this forum, that 02-03 cars are generally less reliable. Certainly is a generalization, folks have also had good performers in the 02-03 model year range. Happy hunting though, wish you well!

savedbyHim (04-23-2012)
Old 04-23-2012, 02:16 PM

I agree with Andahaion, the newer the better.

The viscous coupling in the 02/03 can also be a downfall in that it creates stresses on the transfer case that can cause the case to crack and leak. Especially when you experience transfer case wind-up, like when you suddenly go from slippery to dry surfaces while the wheels are still spinning (at a high rate).

Old 04-23-2012, 03:21 PM
Veteran member

Saved, have you considered say a newer 300C by Chrysler. They can come in AWD and may give you something nicer with the luxury that you are after. Granted, because you are going to be looking at something only a few years old or newer, the price tag is going to be much higher.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:20 PM

Hey Thermo, I kind of looked around at the 300c and 300 touring, both awd, but in researching reliability, the did not do as well as the X type. Plus, How does the 300 ride? I have never been in one. It looks like I could get into an 06 for the same price as I could an 04 X type, that said, I would think the X type is better choice.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:53 AM
Veteran member

Saved, all I can say is to take one for a test drive and see how they ride to you. Take an afternoon, wander the car lots and see what they have to offer. Tell the salesman what you are after and see what they recommend. They may have something that we are missing.

savedbyHim (04-24-2012)