X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New car coming-have I missed any items??

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 08:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts
Default New car coming-have I missed any items??

So as I already posted, my 04 with 100k miles got totalled due to water damage last Sunday, and I have an 05 with 50k miles coming in this week. I paid a third party inspector to go out to site and inspect the car with specific instructions to observe transmission shifting and transfer case noises and the mechanical part of the inspection came back with an "A", the cosmetic came back with a "C", mainly due to a drooping headliner and a few door dings. Being familiar with the car so far I have purchased:

1-24 Quarts of Castrol multi-import Transmax for the tranny drain and fill routine (I will do this myself, did it many times in the old car)

2-Redline Gear Oil for the transfer case and differential (this I will ask a local expert who did it in the other car with a lift to tip the car to do it again it seem like it's a lot easier to tip a car over 24 inches on each side with a lift.

3-Headliner material preshaped for an X type- I am pretty sure I will have to contract a local mobile headliner service to do this job since it's way beyond my competencies.

4-Pos and Neg Battery cables- I remember how much not fun that was in my 04 as the light would come in and out . fairly easy to change except for that nut in the alternator

5-Dye to do a faded panel in the drivers seat and the steering wheel needs it from the pictures I got.

6-I had recently (2 months ago) replaced the throttle body with a new one in the old car. I removed that from the totaled vehicle (hoping it did not get water damaged) and will install it in the new- (car going into "safe" mode at speed was never fun)

7- Finally, I had the dealer pop out all door dings, since they get a special dealer rate and would be cheaper than if I wait to get it to Houston.

8- lastly I have I will likely have the front and rear bumpers repainted upon arrival. According to my inspectors detailed 72 picture report they look like they need it. .....Based on how my grandmothers car looks and the fact that the car fax shows this is a one owner car, I am assuming this is a granny trade in.

So far that's it. I know I included a lot of cosmetic stuff on that list, but basically I am going to need the car to take a 3 hour trip to Austin in a couple of weeks and a 6 hour trip to New Orleans in a month or so. I don't want to go crazy changing parts that don't need it, but I also want have reliable transportation. This vehicle, like its predecessor will be my daily driver. Any other crucial item that anyone would recommend replacing up-front that I may have forgotten? I don't think I will need to replace the spark plugs or gaskets for another 15-20k miles - I did that at 75k miles on the other car- and even then it was just for preventive maintenance purposes--

Old 06-12-2017, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

While in there for maintenance you might check the PCV hose. If it is still the smooth one and not the ribbed one then it is just a matter of time befiore it will cause a vacuum leak. Now would also be a good time to check the brake booster hose and check valve for any visual damage. It is also a known acuum problem. Last but not least make sure the IMT o-rings are the updated green ones.
Those three items are known cause vacuum leaks and lean condition misfires leading to cat damage.

Old 06-12-2017, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

While in there for maintenance you might check the PCV hose. If it is still the smooth one and not the ribbed one then it is just a matter of time before it will cause a vacuum leak. Now would also be a good time to check the brake booster hose and check valve for any visual damage. It is also a known acuum problem. Last but not least make sure the IMT o-rings are the updated green ones.
Those three items are known cause vacuum leaks and lean condition misfires leading to cat damage.

Old 06-12-2017, 07:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by avern1
While in there for maintenance you might check the PCV hose. If it is still the smooth one and not the ribbed one then it is just a matter of time before it will cause a vacuum leak. Now would also be a good time to check the brake booster hose and check valve for any visual damage. It is also a known acuum problem. Last but not least make sure the IMT o-rings are the updated green ones.
Thanks that's helpful. I will definitely order the IMT rings, and brake booster hose. Those had been replaced in the old car too.

Unfortunately for me, I found the new throttle body from my 04 won't work in my 05. I do not know how common throttle body issues are on the 05+, but as a personal presference I would have liked to install a new throttle body in the car.