Sponsored by:

New to this forum

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 12:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to this forum

Have 2003 x type 2.5 sport pkg.
Bought it at almost 3 years old with 21000Klm's now 135,000klm
Love the car a few problems that I got resolved before the warranty ran out nothing major. (Jag replaced the drive shaft)
I seem to have a difference in my car compared to others! that is the transfer case is different from what I have seen on this and other sites, also I tried to do the lub job on the carrier bearing (as per this site) and mine is different to what I see here. My carrier bearing has a shield around it which will not allow me to get to the bearing seal to pump grease?
Anyone out there know why mine would be different?

Old 02-18-2011, 06:44 PM
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Welcome to the forum. I have an 05 auto Sport and I don't have the slots to grease the bearing either. When I brought it to the dealer under warranty they "could not duplicate" the noise (they obviously waited until afternoon when the temp went up). But they must have done something they didn't write down because it's been much quieter for almost 2 years now. Something tells me if I take it in now without a warranty they'll find the problem right away, maybe even over the phone.

Last edited by C5pilot; 02-18-2011 at 06:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ulster (02-19-2011)
Old 02-19-2011, 07:28 AM

Thank you c5pilot glad to know there is someone out there with a different drive shaft also. The drone on mine has been getting a little worse at very slow speeds and around 70-80k/hr but over this speed it will go away,I am off to Florida in a few days 2200klm trip one way was a little concerned that I may have a problem on the way but I now believe if I can live with the drone it will be OK.
Will keep you posted.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:12 AM

Does yours still make the noise during warm temps? So far, mine only whines when it's well below freezing (and only for a few miles), and quiet during summer. You might have peace and quiet once you cross the Mason-Dixon line. Good luck and have a safe trip.

Old 02-19-2011, 01:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Ulster, you say that you had the "drive shaft" replaced under warranty. I take it that doesn't mean the Propeller shaft that gives so many of us the whine and thus you were looking for how to grease it. Do I have it so far? Your center bearing probably isn't different as there is not really any pre-made spots to grease it. Some have just used a needle grease nozzle to do it, with varying amounts of success. If you are only hearing the drone/whine when cold then it's really probably nothing more than an annoyance and should go away at temps above 40F. I couldn't live with mine in this cold climate.

The T/Cs were different internally on the 02's and 03's than in later MY's. What have you been looking at and for?

Old 02-19-2011, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by mohrd
Your center bearing probably isn't different as there is not really any pre-made spots to grease it. Some have just used a needle grease nozzle to do it, with varying amounts of success.
No, they're different. There are no slots to push the needle through like many have at 2:00, 6:00, 10:00 positions. I know because I have the needle in my car waiting to be returned the next time I drive past the store. The dealer may have replaced his original with an updated version like in my 05 (which still whines when cold).

My question is, does anyone with a later model year have the slotted version? My guess is we don't have many members with later models because they're still under warranty and don't need our help yet.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:50 PM

Ulster, you say that you had the "drive shaft" replaced under warranty. I take it that doesn't mean the Propeller shaft!!!
Yes I do mean the propeller shaft and it can not be greased with a needle as shown in this site the pics on the site are different from mine and as I stated earlier I had the drive shaft replaced in late 2006 the car was out of warranty when replaced but I had it in before the warrenty ran out and they could not get me one for about 4 months,
I call the noise a drone at and it is there all the time if I drive in at the speed it occurs at, if I change speeds lower or higher it will go away.
Any comments on the air scoop for the transfer case I remove mine just before the snow flies and reinstall after the snow in the spring. As I am off to Florida in a few days I will be reinstalling it before I hit the warmer weather on the road south.