X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new here

Old 12-08-2010, 04:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default new here

Hey everybody im new here. Just got my x-type on 10/19 and already have had some headaches fixing things, took about 3 hours to get the engine oil plug off, driver seatbelt was stuck all the way out, the button on the trunk didnt work and i had to replace the water pump a few days after purchasing it. things were begining to run smooth until this morning when i went to start it at 5am (23 degrees out) and it would just keep trying to turn over, like i was tapping the starter, then after i would stop, about 5 seconds later it would display "gearbox fault", figured id try and jump start it incase it was the battery for some reason and it wasnt hooked up to my brothers car for more than a min and it fired right up and havent had any problems since, engine light stayed on until about the 4th start from this incident. Got me looking at changing the trans fluid and valvoline said to use maxlife ATF part no. 324. What do you guys think?

Old 12-09-2010, 07:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Is it the OEM Jaguar battery? What year is your car? 2.5 or 3.0?

X types are known for shennaningans with weak batteries, I suggest changing it out if it is the OEM battery.

Why in the world did it take 3 hours to get the oil drain plug out?

Do a search and check the FAQ section, there is a day's worth of reading on here regarding tranny/transfer case fluid and changes.

Oh, and welcome to the forum and congrat's on your purchase!! What color? I'm assuming auto tranny by your post....

Old 12-09-2010, 10:48 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's an 02 3.0, the battery is a white durlast gold (92-dlg) I coiuldnt find when they made these, so If it happens again, ill def replace it, basically I tried everything short of welding a rod to the plug, eventually a buddy of mine came over with a 4' pry bar and that was how much leverage we had apply to the Irwin bolt extractor to get enough force for the groves to dig into the plug, turns out walmart did the last oil change on it, figues

Old 12-09-2010, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by mcduvall
It's an 02 3.0, the battery is a white durlast gold (92-dlg) I coiuldnt find when they made these, so If it happens again, ill def replace it, basically I tried everything short of welding a rod to the plug, eventually a buddy of mine came over with a 4' pry bar and that was how much leverage we had apply to the Irwin bolt extractor to get enough force for the groves to dig into the plug, turns out walmart did the last oil change on it, figues
Replace the battery, maybe the leads if they are original. Wal-Mart likely had a 5.00 per hour guy put the bolt on with a torque driver. Figure yourself lucky it came off with out ripping the oil pan or spinning endlessly.

Next thing you need to do it listen for vacuum leaks under the hood, X are notorious for leaks. Cracked Brake Booster lines etc.