Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Jag, with some now resolved issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Default New Jag, with some now resolved issues

So this is a copy and paste from my post in new members but now I think finally it is solved but I thought you might want to read this saga novel first.

1st post

Hello all

After looking for several months at numerous cars ranging from Infinity G35X and M35X to a ton of BMW 3 and 5 series cars, and a couple of Volvos I chanced across some information about the X series.

I looked at several ranging from a plain jane 03 to a couple of nice 05s until finally finding a 04 wagon. It has 80K Km, the premium package as well as the sport package. I think the only option not included is the NAV system, silver on black interior, beautiful condition. It is amazing what you can get in a Jag for half what people want for an Infinity, and as far as creature comfort I find the seating and room in the X to be superior.
I will undoubtably be posting here a lot with questions.

I'll get some pics up as soon as I can.

second post

Thanks you all for the welcome. I'm on the west coast of Canada in a burb of Vancouver called Langley. Love the car, a real pleasure to drive but unfortunately not without issues. I'll relate the story.

I bought it from a non Jag dealership simply because after seeing the Estate both my SO and I really liked it. I have always had a soft spot for British cars having had a succesion of MGs, Triumphs (3 TR7s) and most recently a Discovery (DII). So when we happened to find this one with relatively decent KM on it in absolutely mint condition inside and out we bought it.

On the 20 minute drive home the CEL lit up and the screen told me the gas cap was loose, no biggy I pulled over and retightened it and the message went away although the light stayed on. I called the dealership when I got home and told them and they said it would probably cycle off in a day or so. I didn't really think much of it as I drive imports and there is usually a CEL issue sometime. BUT 2 days later I'm on the highway in the rain and I get the dreaded Gearbox Fault and the car goes into limp mode (the only forward gear is 4th) so I limp it home, call the dealership and expecting the worse gear up for an agruement. To their credit it was all apologies and we'll get her fixed, don't worry we'll take care of everything!!!! So I take it to the closest Jag dealership as they're the only ones who can crack into the codes, my local tranny guy couldn't but after he had everything unplugged it cleared it and allowed me to drive the 20KM to the dealership.

They came back with a PO758 Solenoid code but try as they might they could get it to reoccur, but cleared it, did the continuety check and gave her back, the other guys had everything paid for prior to me getting there to pick it up.

I drove a couple of days and then the CEL was back although this time with no fault on the screen. So now it'sback at Jag, getting a complete going over at the other guys expense, I'm drivig a courtesy car in the interim. I'll let you know how it turns out.

third post

Here's a follow up.

Talked to the Jag dealership and it's another evap code. I replaced the gas cap at a whopping 28.00 which the other dealership covered as well as the cost for diagnosis. As much as I like the courtesy mini van I'm driving..... I will get the X back today. The 2 dealerships are about 25KM of city driving apart so I'll let them pick it up and exchange vehicles where I got it so if the CEL returns (which the guys at JAG doubt) it'll be on their watch.

As a further note I didn't add that prior to bringing it to Jag the first time when the gearbox fault code came up I took it to a transmission place locally to get it diagnosed. I know the guys there and they were willing to do it for nothing but of course the system wouldn't read the ECM on the X. But as a favour they took apart the wiring harness for the transmission that is conveniently located right at the front of the transmission with easy access to road filth, water and anything else nature throws at it and made sure all the contact points were clean and free of any corrosion. They said it might have made the difference because some of the contacts weren't pristine. And after I picked it up it had cleared the code (although it was still stored which was good). Todays Friday, so I'll keep you informed and add a couple of pictures over the weekend.

Thanks again for your responses. It will be a pleasure sharing Jaguar information as we move along!

4th post

So I've been driving the wagon for a couple of weeks. The Jag dealership reset the CEL and replaced the gas cap. So far so good, no more troubles and the car is driving fine.

I've added tint to the back windows purely for looks, I've had a few SUVs and always liked the look. I put some 16" snows and rims on for the winter. Amazing how much different the ride is with that extra 2" of sidewall. I've lost some of the cornering ability of course but I'm not feeling every stone on the road either. But come the spring I'll have the 18s back on for sure.

Thanks again for all the responses. I've still not completely figured out the gearbox fault code and like I said the transmission shop did clean every external electrical contact so.....

And I was reading someplace that the X-Type doesn't like to drink ethonol based premium gas so that might have been a factor too. It's getting harder in Canada to get fuels that don't have some ethenol additive, and the fact that one company out here has a 92 octane ethenol based gas for the price of midgrade makes me almost want to try another tank just in case it wasn't the cause. Maybe I'll try half a tank so if it does go back into gearbox fault code again I can dilute it with some other gas.

5th

And the saga continues.

As much as I love the car (when it drives) my patience are almost at an end. So yesterday, which is almost 2 weeks since the car was last in the Jag dealership I'm driving along and stop at a traffic light. Up until that point the car has been flawless, everything perfect apart from the bass buzzing in the passengers door but a joy to drive. We had snow here and the car was awesome with the snows on.

So I stop at the traffic light and when it turns green I take my foot off the brake and and there is a bump.....I thought at first the guy behind me bumped me it was like that....but I gave it gas and there was a tiny hesitation before I moved. I drove a couple of blocks and again a red light and again when it turned green the same thing except a longer hesitation this time and very sluggish to go. Once I was over 5KMH it was fine. But I was now aware there was something going on. I pulled over and then started off again andthis time it was like starting in fifth...not limp mode I have been through that and this was different. No CEL, no gearbox fault or any warning lights just started in fifth (I think) then after a second or 2 would be in first and off I'd go. Once I was moving it was normal. I checked sport mode and the same thing at start up, turned off tractioin control, no difference. So I pulled over in a parking lot and shut it down.

Starts perfect, goes into park fine.....but new wrinkle now...no reverse. Again starts in fifth, doesn't seem like its slipping just no guts because I'm starting in fifth but then suddenly it will be back in 1st and off I go.

Needless to say it' back at the dealership and we'll see what it is. I suspect from the original gearbox fault, talking with the Jag people and reading it's the TCM. I read in the workshop manual thing that is in the X-Series forum that based on the symptoms it looks lieka pooched tranny but more likely the TCM is fried.

I'll let you know.

The results are in:

So the Jag guys confirmed the TCM is completely fried, the computer was reading engine speed only from the wheel sensors, hence the limp mode. The pulled the TCM apart and it was shorted from water damage. For those of you who don't know the transmission control module is on the left side inside the firewall above and beside (in N.A) the drives feet. The part was back ordered out of England so 3 weeks to arrive.

So the question was why when there was no apparent water inside the cabin. I pulled back the carpet and even the underlay was only a tad damp, but this is Vancouver where like Seattle it rains every day and your feet are always wet when you get in. So they put it in the spray booth that runs high pressure water at the car from all angles including underside jets for 3.5 hours. Turns out that the previous owner had replaced the windshield (which also explains why 1/2 the screen doesn't defrost as there is something unplugged but that's a summer project) and the bottom cowl cover which is the bottom plastic thing the wipers mount through was not installed correctly and warped allowing water through which dripped during heavy rainfall into the passenger compartment, down the wire, and into the TCM shorting it.

The TCM was replaced, the cowl cover was replaced, they retested in the spray booth for a couple of hours and voila...fixed....I hope, you know I've said it before. But props to the Kia dealership I bought it from, they paid for everything (2500.00) gave me a loaner for the month I was without a vehicle and didn't whine only apologized profusely for all the issues. I've put 2000KM on it and it drives like a dream, if I could get rid of the bass buzz in the passenger door it would be golden but then that's another summer project. As soon as the weather clears I'll post up pictures, I gave up on getting snow (did I mention the winter Olympics are here in a couple of weeks and there is a lack of snow on the mountains) and the 18s are back on the car.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

wow, simlar thing happended withmine, honda took car of it though. Im from canda too, next province over

Old 01-30-2010, 12:38 AM
Received 59 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Water in the TCM

Water ingress to the TCM is fairly common on X-Types. It's usually caused by water migration up the bonnet release cable where it then drips onto the TCM connector and fouls the electronics. I always put the new TCM in backwards in relation to its original mounting position. It's a little bit of a pain to get it mounted that way but it stops the problem without charging the customer another $250 to change the cable and reseal the firewall. Don't worry, were only talking about a few drops of water when it is raining heavily but that's all it takes.