X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nineball....

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 08:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nineball....

I can't rely on PM's so I wanted to ask you some questions about your audio sytem? I saw your page on cardomain and I wanted to know 1) how did you hook up your amp? Did you use some type of level converter?2) how did you hook up your MP3/IPOD/USB input?Details, deatails please

I'm hoping to add an amp and aux mod input for my S-type. I hope you don't mind me starting a thread. If you can provide some links I would really appreciate itthanks.

Old 12-16-2007, 09:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Nineball....

If I'm not mistaken he used a converter tapping in off the speaker wires at the bottom panels next to the seats and the doors...he also has the acm module if I'm not mistaken as well...here's a link!

Old 12-16-2007, 11:07 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I personally have no idea who this seller is, but it ws the first one I could find on ebay. It is the type I would reccomend as it has adjustable gains.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CAR-STEREO-HIGH-...QQcmdZViewItem

That is what you need to get a signal input for an amp. You connect it by splicing into one of the speaker lines (closer to the radio the better). In addition to that you need to tap into a remote power line as well as a constant power line coming directly from the battery. Use an inline fuse with an appropriate power rating on the battery line, no more than 12" from the battery. Gournd it anywhere you can in the trunk.

The dealer installed the ACM, or audio control module, about a year ago or so. The link to the part on the JAguar site is http://www.jaguarusa.com/US/EN/_glos...ity_module.htmThis is what it looks like installed:

Name:  100_1095.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  26.3 KB

The system really does sound better than any cd player you will have, but that is dependant on the quality of the mp3 files you have. All of mine are encoded at 320k and all are crystal clear. It does have it's drawbacks though. While there is an rca input, don't use it. The internals of the ACM were not perfected before it was released and I have had mine repaired or replaced 5 times in the past year. Every time I have used the rca it plays the audio fine, but as soon as i turn the car off and the unit loses power it fries internally. I mean literally fries - it was black and burned. The oficial "fix" from jaguar was to tell me that i needed a signal reducing cable to lower the input to the ACM via rca. Just to prove a point I went down the road to a bestbuy and bought a cable, then drove straight back to the ******* and let them SHOW me how to do it the right way. Like you could have guessed, as soon as they turned off the car and unplugged the rca input the unit fried again. This isn't a big factor for me as I bought the unit for the sole purpose of using the usb input, but it may be for you. (I just read the link I posted above from Jaguar and it seems as if they have changed from an rca input to a headphone jack).

Jaguar rates the unit at 1 hour of labor to install. When I got mine it was on sale for $252 plus 1 hour of labor but I have heard that prices have gone up since. Let me know if you need any more info.

Old 12-16-2007, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member

Naturally the price goes up...thats crazy that it costs that much money in the first place but it is a necessity, I drove to Wisconsin with a rf modulator and man was it terrible...every time I wanted to go to a different song I had to grab the ipod...wasn't worth it...stinks nobody really makes a factory looking dash kit that more people would want to use in their vehicles...You will also notice that some or many amps have high level inputs on the amp but they do not translate into good quality sound.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:52 AM

Shoot I was under the impression that this was a DIY kind of thing. I did the aux mod in my RX8 and found it to be quite easy. What do you think of this kit? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Custo...spagenameZWDVW
I'm sure that once you pop the deck out and gain acess to the back: there must be a spot where it just plugs in? Anyone ever removed the stock deck? The only problemI can forsee is thatmyS-type has the OEMNavi.

I had evn modded the Navi to play movies and hooked it to have a back up camera. I alsohope to do this with the Jag.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member

Well if you spend 120 bucks on that one whats another 130 for labor? You'd have to call your dealer but shoot if its warranted and you don't have to deal with it....Plus your getting the jag kit not offbrand....if you could find a jag authentic one for near that and install it yourself I'd do it but I'd stay away from off brand because you never know what you are getting. Check and see how much the cost has went up from jag directly ask them how much just for the acm...

Old 12-18-2007, 02:57 AM

ORIGINAL: nineball

The dealer installed the ACM, or audio control module, about a year ago or so. The link to the part on the JAguar site is http://www.jaguarusa.com/US/EN/_glos...ity_module.htmThis is what it looks like installed:

Is it me or does it look all most identical tothe Mazda's unit? I realize that the pins may be different, afterall Mazda's stereo is made by Blose, I mean Bose.Just food for thought....

Name:  audiolink-ipod.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  19.4 KB

Trending Topics

Old 12-18-2007, 09:01 AM

the only similarity would be that both systems have an ipod connector.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:16 AM

ORIGINAL: nineball

the only similarity would be that both systems have an ipod connector.

Unfortunately that is the only pic provided but I've seen them in person my friend installed one in his Mazda6 and he even has it in the same spot.

Old 12-18-2007, 10:12 AM

Mounting locations vary, I just chose to have mine there as most people do with aftermarket items - out of view. The Jag system has 3 inputs and is fiber optic, 2 thing I believe the Mazda system doesn't have. Jaguar is the only system I have ever owned that is run entirely on a fiberoptic network.

Old 12-18-2007, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member

Which I imagine means higher quality of sound and resonse from the steering wheel controls...only a 30 amper bo...hmmm...let me think what kind of amp I could put in the trunk that only pulls 30 amps...I'll have to see what I've got left and slap a little amp up in there!