X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Heat

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 05:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default No Heat

I see this a lot with the x Type. Mine is a 2002 model. Today we have sleet and freezing rain and mine will not get warm enough to thaw the windshield with the defrost, not to mention freeze myself. I have a new thermostat to install next week when it warms up. I read somewhere about removing a fuse for 60 seconds to reset and it may solve the problem. I can't see in my owners manual a fuse or circuit breaker that controls the climate control system. Could any of you help me with this problem. Many thanks in advance.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:52 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Tadams32 - I had this problem just this week. I had heat the previous day and then not heat the next day. I thought the blend door quit working. I pulled apart the glove box side and noticed there was heat in the HVAC. SO i searched the forums and read an earlier post where you disconnect the battery for 2 minutes for a computer hard reset.

This solved my issue. The idea is the electronic control for the blend dorr has "lost" its zero location and needs to be reset.

The post also stated "prior to starting the engine, turn the key to "on" and then pull up on each window control until you hear the click at each door."

Worth a shot.

The following users liked this post:
Tadams32 (02-02-2013)
Old 02-02-2013, 07:40 AM

thanks for your advice. I had tried the battery disconnect and also checked the fuses. I just posted that I have found if I turn the blowers off I have heat. I hope to solve this soon. Maybe someone else has the same issue. Thanks again and have a great day

TypeXPersonality (02-02-2013)
Old 02-02-2013, 08:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No Heat

Hi Tadams,
I am wondering if your issue is the same as mine. I don't get heat unless we are moving. I leave the blowers off while the car is warming up (usually start it 10-15 minutes before I have to leave) and then once we are moving turn them on. When stopped at an intersection, I turn them off because the air gets cold. We had a warm day here last week and I also noticed the AC isn't spitting out cold air (was warmer than the outside air!).

Is this similar to what you are experiencing? Or you just didn't get any heat at all?
Thanks,
-Michelle

Tadams32 (02-02-2013)
Old 02-02-2013, 09:43 PM

that is exactly what I have found. except if I turn the fan up to 4 or 5 it starts to blow cool air. I have a new thermostat to install hopefully monday. Maybe we can get this figured out soon. I just noticed the air not working when we had 2 70 degree days last week. Any ideas out there. Please help.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:08 PM

Tadams32 and TypeXPersonality,

Below is the link to the forum page talking about the blend door and other issues. You might find your answer there.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...working-65029/

Old 02-02-2013, 10:59 PM

Thanks, Jeeves, for the link. I read through the posts and didn't see any mention of simultaneously malfunctioning AC. Is this also a symptom of a stuck blend door?

I have not tried the hard reset, but I plan to do that in the next couple of days.

Tadams, I see that didn't work for you. I noticed when reading through the stuck blend door thread you have to wait a couple of minutes after the restart to try the heat. It seems plausible to me that the stuck blend door is the problem, as I hear a kind of "modulating" sound going on when the blowers are on full blast as if it's trying to get the heat out. Even before reading through the forums here, it occurred to me that something sounded stuck.

I won't get to the hard reset until Monday. Let me know if you find the answer in the meantime.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:38 PM

Hi Tadams,
I was wondering if you had any updates for us. I tried the hard reset yesterday without any luck. It's been warm here, so hard to tell if the heating side is improved but the AC is definitely not working. I hope you've had more luck than me!

-Michelle

Old 02-04-2013, 07:23 PM

I would say the heater core has gone bad, but you stated there was heat one day and then not the next. The heater core issue would have the heat diminsh over time. Usually there would be a leak in the cooling system, as well.

Things to check:
1 - Pull the carpet off the center consule on the passenger side. The piece of carpet down next to the consule by flor area. It pulls off in the front and there is a screw back by the seat. The when the car is warmed up, fell around the black plastic below the console located on the hump. If it is hot then you have heat.

2 - I would turn on the a/c and then check to see, if the a/c compressor is engaging. If it is engaging, the a/c is ok.

The blend is probably stuck in the middle, allowing heat and a/c to enter into the cabin.

Some things to check.