Sponsored by:

oil and filter change?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 03:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil and filter change?

new owner /have a x type 2002 2.5.....

does it require a special filter?.....going for oil and filter change

also is synthetic oil recommended for my model..
if so what benefits?

IS THERE NOT PROBLEMS CHANGING AN OLDER CAR TO SYNTHETIC
OIL?

Last edited by Harry Peter Rose; 02-02-2017 at 06:31 PM.
Old 02-02-2017, 04:27 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Your owners manual and oil filler cap have "use Castrol" so up to you but that's what Jaguar says. You should find oil filters at any place you typically would buy auto parts. I have used Motorcraft oil filter and Castrol 5w30 in mine - both available at Walmart

Old 02-02-2017, 05:09 PM
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

No special filter required, but I recommend WIX or better quality. Stay away from the cheapies. I use the best: AMSOIL. Synthetic oil recommended as you'll get easier starts, better mileage and performance. Pictured is filter and fluids that I use. PM me if you're interested in getting them, as I'm an authorized dealer.

Attached Thumbnails oil and filter change?-fluids1.jpg  
Old 02-02-2017, 06:32 PM

Is there not problems changing an older car to synthetic oil

Old 02-02-2017, 08:19 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,842 Likes on 3,159 Posts

Harry, when I had my X-Type, I tried the gambit of oils in the car (dino oil, semi synthetic, full synthetic). Taking a look at the mileage, I noticed in my car that at about 4,000 miles I would see a slight drop in the mileage (hence why I always changed my oil at 4K miles). As for benefits, I could not find any. The mileage between the different types of oil was nil. They all got pretty much the same mileage.

As for switching to synthetic later in life, you may find that the car will develop some new minor leaks. The reason for this is that the full synthetic oil molecule is smaller and therefore, holes that the dino oil could not fit out, the full synthetic could. Now, are we talking about having puddles under the car every morning. By no means. Will you see a few drops here and there where you wouldn't before, yes.

As for filters, I tended to use the Fram Toughgard filters on my car.

Old 02-02-2017, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Harry Peter Rose
If the engine is mechanically sound, no. The detergent properties of synthetic oil will clean the internals. If there's a bunch of varnish and deposits preventing worn seals from leaking then it's possible to get leaks as that gets cleaned away.

Old 02-03-2017, 08:49 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by Harry Peter Rose
In almost all cases no, but there's no real advantages in changing either.Use synthetic if it pleases you, but your car couldn't care less.

Follow the owner's manual recommendation for specification and viscosity according to your climate.

Old 02-03-2017, 05:57 PM

Actually there's multiple advantages to using synthetic lubricants - which is why many manufacturers (Jaguar included) specify them, such as differential in your S-Type.

Old 02-03-2017, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by swingwing
Actually there's multiple advantages to using synthetic lubricants - which is why many manufacturers (Jaguar included) specify them, such as differential in your S-Type.
Jag makes no mention of using synthetic oil in the engine- that's what's being discussed here.

There are some engines that require synthetics. The X type is not one of them.

Old 02-03-2017, 09:22 PM

Correct. Jaguar says API SL 5W-30 preferred for OP's car. The current oil standard is API SN (backwards compatible). Other acceptable listed viscosities are 0W-30, 0W-40 and 5W-40. If I lived in cold country, oil of choice would be 0W-30, hands-down. And that automatically means synthetic because no petroleum-based oil can qualify at -35C, the 0W standard. In hot climates (I live in Texas) synthetic oils hold viscosity and are far superior to dissipating heat than conventional oils. So no, your car actually does care - easier cold starts, less wear and high-temperature protection.

Last edited by swingwing; 02-04-2017 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Added sentences.
Old 02-04-2017, 07:12 AM
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Huge difference between synthetic vs. regular oil. Here is a comparison video. Also, I use 5w40 in mine. I actually just bought 10w40 because the store was out of 5w, but I won't start it in cold weather.

check this out.

Old 02-04-2017, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Lemons Racer
Huge difference between synthetic vs. regular oil. Here is a comparison video.

check this out.
And yet engines easily outlast the rest of the car despite using old fashioned dino oil.

Old 02-04-2017, 09:35 AM

'Tis true - as long as they're maintained properly. That's the kicker though. I sell oil to a lot of fast lubes and repair shops, so I get to glance at many cars that are in for service. The great majority are in poor condition - oil changes missed, belts and hoses shot, weak batteries, you name it. For many, a car is just an expensive toaster, likely to be driven until something major breaks. That's why I like enthusiast forums; just about all are very meticulous about keeping their rides in great shape.

Old 02-04-2017, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

'Tis true - as long as they're maintained properly. That's the kicker though. I sell oil to a lot of fast lubes and repair shops, so I get to glance at many cars that are in for service. The great majority are in poor condition - oil changes missed, belts and hoses shot, weak batteries, you name it. For many, a car is just an expensive toaster, likely to be driven until something major breaks. That's why I like enthusiast forums; just about all are very meticulous about keeping their rides in great shape.
I hear what you are saying, but if someone neglects something as basic as changing the oil regularly, then chances are I would bet their car would get destroyed sooner by neglecting something else, like a coolant leak, for example. You never hear about an engine wearing out or blowing up because of oil. Oils are so good today that as long as the level is correct, you use what is recommended by the manufacturer and you change it anywhere close to what your manual advises your engine would far outlive how long most people would ever own their cars. Unless you have some extreme driving conditions (like constantly driving 100+ MPH in a desert in the middle of summer 12 hours a day) just buy whatever oil of the proper viscosity you want and you will be fine. I think people spend too much time stressing about oil because they "want the car to "last" or want the "best" for it. Any incremental advantage in overall life would probably be negligible for 99.9% of daily drivers. So an engine might last 250K miles instead of 260K miles because you might have used a "better" oil. How many people own their cars that long and how would you prove that extra 10K was from the type of oil used or from changing it at half the recommended mileage just because you "want to be safe"? Just my opinion. Thanks for letting me vent. I'm better now..........

Old 02-05-2017, 05:40 AM
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Default oil

Originally Posted by Mikey
Jag makes no mention of using synthetic oil in the engine- that's what's being discussed here.

There are some engines that require synthetics. The X type is not one of them.
Sorry but your broad statement is very wrong.
The handbook for my 2009 x type clearly states. "use Castrol Magnatec 5-30
A5". This is a fully synthetic oil!

Old 02-05-2017, 09:04 AM

Dunks, to my knowledge the diesel engines Jaguar offered in the X-Type were never sold in the US (don't know about Canada). I'm assuming OP lives in Richmond, Virginia, USA, so for his 2002 2.5L gas engine the oil spec was API SL, which was current at that time. Many conventional oils met that standard, so using that or synthetic would have been owner's choice.

As you're in the European market the oil standards are governed by ACEA, the European Car Manufacturers organization. I believe the A5 designation in the Castrol label comes from ACEA's European Oil Sequences for Service-Fill Oils, which reads like this:

"A5/B5 Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use at extended drain intervals in high performance gasoline engines and car & light van diesel engines designed to be capable of using low friction, low viscosity oils with a High temperature/High shear rate (HTHS) viscosity of 2.9 to 3.5 mPa. These oils are unsuitable for use in some engines. Consult owner's manual or handbook if in doubt." (ACEA website is acea.be, so you can see current language there)

I don't want to wander away from OP's original question. The answer to it is that Jaguar said nothing about using synthetic engine oil in the 2002 2.5L. Today's conventional oils are better than they were then, as engine technology has advanced and the oil marketers have had to advance too. I first started using synthetic oil in the mid-90s, and have learned over the years since that it's clearly superior for a number of reasons. Today's synthetic oils are amazingly capable; conventional oils are struggling to keep up with today's engine technology.

Last edited by swingwing; 02-05-2017 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Added sentences.
Old 02-05-2017, 10:22 AM
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Dunks, to my knowledge the diesel engines Jaguar offered in the X-Type were never sold in the US (don't know about Canada). I'm assuming OP lives in Richmond, Virginia, USA, so for his 2002 2.5L gas engine the oil spec was API SL, which was current at that time. Many conventional oils met that standard, so using that or synthetic would have been owner's choice.

As you're in the European market the oil standards are governed by ACEA, the European Car Manufacturers organization. I believe the A5 designation in the Castrol label comes from ACEA's European Oil Sequences for Service-Fill Oils, which reads like this:

"A5/B5 Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use at extended drain intervals in high performance gasoline engines and car & light van diesel engines designed to be capable of using low friction, low viscosity oils with a High temperature/High shear rate (HTHS) viscosity of 2.9 to 3.5 mPa. These oils are unsuitable for use in some engines. Consult owner's manual or handbook if in doubt." (ACEA website is acea.be, so you can see current language there)

I don't want to wander away from OP's original question. The answer to it is that Jaguar said nothing about using synthetic engine oil in the 2002 2.5L. Today's conventional oils are better than they were then, as engine technology has advanced and the oil marketers have had to advance too. I first started using synthetic oil in the mid-90s, and have learned over the years since that it's clearly superior for a number of reasons. Today's synthetic oils are amazingly capable; conventional oils are struggling to keep up with today's engine technology.
Well fielded, if a bit of a ramble. But us Brits do use diesel and the 2.2 diesel variant does need synthetic oil. You made no mention of engine type. Just the mistaken bold statement that X types do not need synthetic. Any ignorant Brit with a diesel reading your post and accepting you as an "expert" would be misinformed. We do follow this excellent forum.

Old 02-05-2017, 11:02 AM

Sorry Dunks, but I didn't say that "X-Types didn't need synthetic." OP asked the question about his 2002 2.5L gas engine (I assume he's here in the States), and the answer is that synthetic engine oil is not required. API grade SL is what his owner's manual states.

Not trying to schwack the pinata here. Diesel engines predominate in Europe, and those engines need different oil. Your car is also several years newer, so Jaguar's service guidance probably changed over the years since the X-Type was first introduced.

I don't offer myself as an "expert" either. I had 30+ years as a military and commercial pilot, so have fair amount of understanding about how machinery performs. I'm also a "car guy" so when I tried out synthetic oil in the mid-90s I kind of just put 2+2 together. I got into the AMSOIL business in 1998, and have worked at improving my knowledge since then. I hold no professional credentials in lubrication engineering or Tribology.

And I agree with you that this is an excellent forum! I've owned my X-Type less than a year, but have put up a few postings on what I've learned working on it.

Last edited by swingwing; 02-05-2017 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Added sentence.
Old 03-09-2020, 04:53 AM
Banned
Received 114 Likes on 62 Posts

l use what is stated in the little green Jaguar owners book that lives in the glove box.

lt may be a little naive of me, but i labour under the impression that those that designed and built the engine are probably best qualified to know these things (way more so than people on forums like me) and follow the advice they give aforementioned little green book. lve used a similar system where possible for over 40 years and well over 100 motorized things, oddly enough i have never destroyed a motor following manufactures oil type advice, i know, astounding

.................................................. ...........................................sometim es even Wile E is floored at my level of genius.

Old 03-10-2020, 06:11 PM

JAGUAR Handbook and Service Manual both say not to use synthetic oil.

Quick Reply: oil and filter change?